Team and role overview
- CDC actively invests to promote energy access in line with SDG 7 and climate action in line with SDG 13 by through decentralised energy and resource efficiency (e.g., energy and water) solutions. CDC’s Energy Access and Efficiency (EAE) team is part of CDC’s broader Infrastructure and Climate Group, which also includes equity, project finance and intermediated investment teams.
- The EAE team provides debt products to businesses that deliver decentralized clean energy solutions such as solar home systems, commercial and industrial (C&I) solar installations and mini-grids. The team also lends to promote innovative resource efficiency solutions that substitute fossil fuels with renewable sources of power generation, enable energy efficiency, including through electric vehicle adoption, as well as water conservation and recycling. The EAE team can provide direct lending or indirect lending solutions through guarantee structures to catalyse commercial bank lending or investments in dedicated debt funds, including in local currency.
- In addition to investing in catalytic transactions, the EAE team supports sector sustainability by partnering with likeminded stakeholders to promote industry-wide initiatives, disseminating knowledge through innovative research and analysis and speaking at conferences and other industry fora.
- The EAE team is currently composed of six professionals and is expected to grow to eight in the near term.
- There are five job levels in Investment teams: Associate, Executive, Manager, Director & Team Head.
- The Investment Associate will primarily support the senior members of the EAE team in the execution of the team’s mandate.
- Alongside your day-to-day work, you will be part of a programme of informal mentoring and formal training designed to build both technical and soft skills. You will be expected to build experience and expertise over time and progressively take on additional responsibility within the EAE team.
- Evaluation and execution of new investment opportunities: Analyse financial information relating to specific companies; build and/or analyse financial models and conduct sensitivity analysis; Support the production of investment proposals for the Investment Committee and participate in the meetings; Conduct detailed debt repayment and covenant analysis on companies using various methods; Identify key company, sector, and country risks and potential mitigation strategies; Support senior team members in the structuring and negotiation of key transaction terms and legal documents.
- Portfolio monitoring: Review company reports to monitor compliance with covenants and flag any potential credit issues; Process waivers or amendment requests; Prepare monitoring papers for consideration by CDC’s Investment Committee; Maintain pipeline and portfolio monitoring databases for transactions covered by the EAE team.
- Research: Research into regions, countries, sectors and specific businesses or projects on an ad-hoc basis, including support for sector mapping exercises; Tracking market developments and financial news to identify trends or issues that might affect the pipeline and portfolio companies.
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or educational background.