About the Job
Reports To: Senior Director, Financial Planning & Analytics
Job Type: Full-time, exempt
Region: United States
Location: Cambridge, MA or remote within the US
Start Date: Immediate
Contact: Please apply by filling out the form below.
The Senior Financial Analyst will play a key role on the Financial Planning & Analytics (FP&A) team, with the opportunity to work on financial forecasting, analysis, and reporting projects influencing the operations and strategies of Root Capital’s lending program and global operations. To date, Root Capital’s lending program has disbursed over $1.6 billion to more than 750 small and mid-sized enterprises reaching 2.4 million farm families in Latin America, sub-Saharan Africa, and Southeast Asia. The Senior Financial Analyst will be responsible for key modeling, analysis, and reporting processes that are crucial to Root Capital’s overall financial position and the success of our impact-first mission.
Mission & History of Root Capital
Root Capital is a nonprofit whose mission is to grow rural prosperity and build the resilience of farming families around the world. We support the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs for the next generation of leaders, level the playing field for women, and take urgent action against climate change.
We supply these businesses with vital credit and capacity building to foster their growth and resilience. We work in hard-to-serve communities where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.6 billion to improve the lives of over 10 million people in farming families. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Colombia, Peru, Ghana, and Kenya.
Financial and Programmatic Performance Analysis and Reporting (25%)
- Produce financial and programmatic performance reports and customized analyses for donors, investors, and internal audiences, including senior management and the board of directors.
- Increase accessibility, usability, and efficiency of existing reports by developing new data interfaces and dashboards through reporting and visualization platforms such as Tableau, PowerBI, and other data visualization packages.
- Prepare sections of the Monthly Performance Dashboard, Board presentations, Quarterly Performance Reports, and other reports as requested.
- Support development of customized financial and lending projections and analysis for existing and prospective supporters and partners, working with FP&A, Development, and Lending staff as necessary.
Lending Planning and Projections (25%)
- Co-own the semiannual forecasting process to project future lending activity. This involves, in part, collaboration with the Risk Department to capture and model the future performance of current and at-risk loans, and associated financial impacts.
- Report on and analyze projected lending performance at the global, regional, sector, and/or client level, evaluating the projections for consistency with Root’s global and regional lending strategies. Identify and present key variances to internal and external audiences as appropriate.
- Present the lending plan to internal executives and to select board committees.
Risk Projections and Modelling (20%)
- Develop periodic risk projections including provisioning expense and recoveries estimates in conjunction with the Chief Credit Officer and regional lending and risk management teams.
- Present and communicate to management, Risk Oversight Committee, and Credit Risk Subcommittee of the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for routine upkeep of Root’s Risk Model, used at underwriting to evaluate a loan’s risk profile.
- Responsible for analysis and computation of Root Capital’s provisioning rates, as required periodically, for review by the Controller and Risk Oversight Committee as necessary.
Lending Model Maintenance and Development (20%)
- Root Capital’s Lending Model is used for reporting on and projecting Root’s lending program activity and revenue and for evaluating potential financial outcomes of management decisions and external events. The Senior Financial * Analyst will be a co-owner of the Lending Model and will be responsible for maintenance, updates, and data quality, including:
- Leading ongoing Lending Model development and updates, including monthly data imports, troubleshooting and enhancing existing lending model accounts and data import scripts, and identifying the need for third-party support as appropriate.
- Identifying and documenting irreconcilable divergences with agreed-upon “sources of truth,” creating changes in the model integration process and accounts as necessary to ensure close fidelity with primary sources of data. Ongoing documentation of Lending model procedures, structure, and enhancements.
Other Projects & Ad-Hoc Analysis (10%)
- Projects and reporting may span departments and will likely include analytics-based work requested by, and/or executed in conjunction with, colleagues from departments including Risk, Lending, Advisory, Impact, Treasury, and Accounting.
Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelors or advanced degree in a quantitatively-oriented field (Economics, Operations Research, Mathematics, Engineering, Statistics, Data Science, etc.)
- Minimum of 3-5 years of professional experience required in data analysis or another analytically-oriented field.
- Demonstrated interest in international development, nonprofit operations, and environmental sustainability
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to high data quality & accuracy
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Experience working with Adaptive Planning or other financial reporting and data analysis information systems.
- Advanced experience with other relational databases an acceptable substitute.
- Experience with data visualization applications (Tableau, PowerBI, or equivalent)
- Proficiency in R and/or Python a plus
- Spanish language proficiency preferred
- Must be authorized to work in the United States.
Apply directly to https://rootcapital.org/careers/senior-financial-analyst/
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace and preserve vulnerable ecosystems.
We supply these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial training and conservation practices. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.4 billion to improve the lives of over six million people in farming communities.