About the Job
Do you want to be part of an energetic, inspired, and creative team that is making a huge difference in our world?
Are you deeply moved by our current environmental crises? Do you follow the movement of climate advocates who are calling for a dramatic increase in nature based solutions to climate change? Are you well versed in the language of ESG and want to devote your time to something that is making a measurable impact in the world?
Do you have a love for humanity and care about ending poverty? Are you fulfilled by working as a team to support people in discovering their purpose and living into their aspirations? Are you a bold, strategic thinker? What if you could bridge people's deepest passions with the world’s greatest needs?
If this sounds like you, this position might be just what you are looking for. As part of a team of fundraisers, a Regional Representative at Plant With Purpose is someone who views fundraising as a partnership with donors and supporters, approaching them from the perspective of building mutually beneficial relationships.
On July 1, 2020 we launched a new strategic period where we plan to ambitiously grow 80% over the next 5 years, and this position is a significant part of achieving this goal. Plant With Purpose needs a Regional Representative who will care for key strategic donors on the West Coast and focuses 50% on growing our key geographical hubs in the western U.S. (Seattle, Portland, the California Bay Area, etc.) and 50% on actively seeking out new partnerships specifically focused on environment foundations, reforestation partnerships, and/or nature based climate solutions based anywhere within the United States. Experience and relevance in these areas is a must. We are looking for someone who is diligent, highly responsible, and empathetic.
As a Regional Representative, you are the critical link in initiating and cultivating relationships with potential donors who have the capability of making significant financial contributions to the mission of Plant With Purpose. As a fundraiser, you work collaboratively with the development team to build an effective fundraising strategy, including but not limited to: identifying new prospective donors; building and maintaining strong relationships with existing major donors, foundations, and churches; and professionally and effectively asking for financial gifts to further the mission and program of Plant With Purpose.
A successful Regional Representative is someone who can work both independently and collaboratively to create and execute plans for donor cultivation. This role requires creativity, persistence, and a desire to help people, foundations, and companies use their resources to help transform the lives of the rural poor around the world. Paramount to Regional Rep’s effectiveness is the ability to listen to a donor, ask key questions seeking to understand their unspoken values, and translate our work into a meaningful and mutually beneficial opportunity for partnership.
Dependent on geographical location, experience, and skillset. Range is available upon request.
- Health, dental, and vision insurances
- Group life insurance
- 401k match, up to 8%. Eligibility begins after 6 months of employment
- 15 paid vacation days
- 8 paid sick days
- 12 paid holidays
- $75/month home office stipend
This is a remote-based position. We are willing to be flexible on location for someone who can open key, strategic opportunities. Plant With Purpose needs a Regional Representative who will care for key strategic donors on the West Coast and focuses 50% on growing our key geographical hubs in Seattle, Portland, and the California Bay Area and 50% on actively seeking out new partnerships specifically focused on environment foundations, reforestation partnerships, and/or nature based climate solutions based anywhere within the United States.
Travel Requirements: Approximately 25% travel time, domestically and internationally*. On the average workday, you will be based out of your home office. We will require you to visit the San Diego office at least two times per year. This job requires in-person visits with donors on the West Coast and occasionally elsewhere domestically. Travel may be higher or lower depending on your location and networks. This role will also require moderate international travel to lead strategic donor trips to program sites, which at times may be in difficult and physically arduous conditions.
*Please note that due to COVID-19, international travel has been cancelled for the time being. OPEN UNTIL FILLED: We are processing and interviewing as applications are received. We are hoping to fill this position as soon as possible. The start date will begin as soon as we find the most qualified candidate.
All interviews will be conducted virtually via Zoom.
Does this sound like you? If so, please apply on our website at plantwithpurpose.org/careers. Please include a Cover Letter with your application that shows us how you are a great fit and add for this position, the organization, and our culture.
Plant With Purpose is an EEO/AA employer by choice. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating a positive and inclusive work environment for all employees. If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, please email Human Resources at email@example.com. No phone calls please.
- As a member of the fundraising team, you will report to the Director of Development. Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Donor cultivation and stewardship
- Cultivate and steward a portfolio of 120 major donors.
- Hold at least 18 significant donor meetings a month (usually face-to-face, but adapted for current situations).
- Use best practices in donor care to retain 80%+ of major donors and 65% of other relationships in region.
- Maintain and increase giving in the region, raising an additional $250,000 in the first three years.
- Record donor information, relevant interactions, and track all relationships using Bloomerang CRM.
- Ensure gifts from major donors are properly designated, thanked, and followed up on with timely information and updates on the impact each gift has accomplished.
- Prepare written proposals, with the help of the Major Gifts Team, which effectively and compellingly describe the work of Plant With Purpose and the “return on investment” that speaks to each unique audience.
- Lead donor Vision Trips to our international programs.* As a part of cultivating donor relationships and church partnerships, you will be expected to lead up to 2-3 international trips per year to our projects sites. On these trips, you will need to interpret cross cultural differences and help donor trip participants build a vision for how they can uniquely impact communities by partnering with Plant With Purpose.
- Build the Plant With Purpose reputation within your region, and among environment and climate circles
- Compellingly articulate the mission, vision, and ministry of Plant With Purpose.
- Represent voices of faith within the climate conversation. Climate advocates desperately want the church to stand up and join. Help make this possible.
- Leverage the network of Plant With Purpose donors to be effective ambassadors for Plant With Purpose.
- Articulate your personal walk with Jesus Christ and relate it to the ministry of Plant With Purpose in conversations with individual donors and churches.
- Partner with the Plant With Purpose marketing and development teams to generate speaking opportunities, implement marketing strategies, and execute outreach strategies.
- Host events as needed.
- Cultivate new donors
- Work with the Plant With Purpose Senior Leadership Team to leverage acquisition and retention strategies.
- Build and leverage a professional network to strategically open doors for new opportunities.
- Conduct research on prospect individuals, business partners, and foundations in partnership with the grants team and the broader development team.
WHAT WE'LL LOVE ABOUT YOU
- Education & Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- At least 2 years of experience in fundraising and development
- Relevant experience in ESG, CSR, and/or environmental grantmaking or fundraising
- You are diplomatic and respectful of others, which is seen in your ability to build effective working relationships with donors, board members, and US and foreign colleagues.
- You must be an active listener, listening from a place of care and curiosity, seeking first and foremost to understand rather than respond.
- You maintain persistence and sensitivity in building donor relationships that lead to major gifts.
- You have outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- You have a keen ability to adapt communication techniques to different audiences.
- You are able to listen, synthesize, and develop ideas and information.
- You have an acute attention to detail and organization, which is visible in your ability to meet deadlines.
- You have the ability to initiate, self start, work independently, and seek out solutions.
- You are innovative and willing to take risks.
- You approach team-based work as a servant leader.
- You recognize the multidimensional nature of poverty, and embrace the complexity required to address it.
- You are enthusiastic about traveling domestically and internationally, and willing to occasionally work overtime and at events on weekends, as needed.
- You are eligible to work legally in the United States without employer sponsorship.
- You are fluent in the use of Mac operating systems, Microsoft Office Products (Excel, Word, Powerpoint) and Google Suite products (GDrive, GDocs, GSheets).
- You have experience living or working in a developing country or cross-cultural setting.
- You are competent in using Bloomerang or other donor database systems (CRMs).
- You have demonstrated experience in seeking and securing major gifts.
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES
We are a collaborative, interdependent team that relies on relating and supporting each other to achieve our goals. Through the way we live within and shape our culture, we seek to build community and a sense of belonging in our local, national, and global families. Being a member of the Plant With Purpose team as the Regional Representative, Western U.S. will require you to be a relator, a learner, a servant leader, and an includer in the following ways:
- You deeply resonate with the holistic mission of Plant With Purpose and the diverse communities we seek to empower.
- You have a personal alignment with our organizational core values of faith, collaboration, empowerment, innovation, stewardship, and sustainability.
- You have a love for humanity, including those who live in poverty, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, or culture.
- You intentionally build community and a team mentality by pursuing the "we" over the "me.”
- You understand the priority of relationships in getting work done.
- You feel most successful as a team member when each person on the team succeeds.
- You reflexively express gratitude and growth-oriented feedback.
- You accept feedback with a growth mindset.
- You listen with an intent to understand and ask clarifying questions.
- You seek out learning and development opportunities for yourself.
- You strive to be an inclusive person by being aware of the existence and impact of your unconscious biases, and working daily to check them.
Apply directly at https://plantwithpurpose.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=81
Plant With Purpose
Plant with Purpose is a global Christian organization that addresses issues of deforestation and climate change, while empowering people to lift their communities out of rural poverty. For more than 30 years, Plant With Purpose has been a leader in operating at the nexus of Environmental Restoration, Economic Development, and Spiritual Impact. We believe that we honor God when we honor people and our planet. Come join our growing team and make a difference at this critical time in human history.
Plant With Purpose THRIVE 25 Strategy Statement: Inspired by the impact of our work in service to rural communities around the world, we are driven to grow our programs to help address the rising need. By 2025, we plan to work in 10 countries, over 80 watersheds, and directly serve nearly 900,000 people. Our revenue will exceed $19 million as we seek to become the premier organization operating at the nexus of environmental restoration and poverty alleviation.