About the Job
PIC is a leading impact investment bank creating solutions and mobilising capital to address the world’s most pressing challenges. PIC joined Palladium in 2018 to combine strengths at the intersection of impact investing, international development and strategy consultancy. Palladium, through its 50 years of experience and a global network operating in over 90 countries, has been helping clients to formulate strategies, build partnerships, and implement programmes that have a lasting social and financial impact.
PIC is a team of 17 corporate finance and impact investing professionals, based broadly in London and Washington, DC, tackling global and local problems that require creative, hands-on and people-focused approaches to mobilising capital and unlocking positive impact. There is increasing urgency to direct financial and human capital towards social inclusion and justice and environmental regeneration, and we are looking for resourceful, purpose-driven people to join our flat and rapidly growing team. As an organisation with a great variety of clients, we believe in equal opportunities and value diversity in our team.
We are working with mission-driven companies from across the world, with the majority of our clients based in or focused on emerging markets, and in a wide array of sectors of the impact economy. Within Palladium, PIC focuses on three broad sets of services:
Capital Raising. PIC structures, negotiates and executes transactions to raise debt or equity capital for impact funds and facilities, mission-driven financial institutions, and social enterprises. Leveraging our knowledge of emerging and frontier markets and through an impact lens, we work closely with clients to frame and promote investment propositions to a strong, relevant, and values-based global investor network. Sensitive to the needs of all stakeholders, we secure mission-aligned investors that bring the right blend of capital and other support to propel clients forward.
Capital Strategy and Structuring. In structuring investment transactions, our focus is on ensuring alignment of objectives between the investor and the investee. A particular area of focus is the design and structuring of investment vehicles for sponsors wishing to solve specific social and environmental problems with investment capital. We create funds and other vehicles starting from the identification of the problem, and design a practical solution around that problem, whilst using our market knowledge and networks to ensure relevance to the investor audience.
Mergers & Acquisitions. PIC structures, negotiates, and executes sell-side and buy-side M&A transactions. We employ a structured, transparent and pragmatic approach to designing and executing on transactions for our clients. We run Responsible Exit mandates, which reflect mission preservation without compromising proceeds. PIC has executed multinational transactions throughout sub-Saharan Africa and South and South-East Asia.
You and Your Career
If you are a problem-solver, collaborator, and doer, and you have demonstrated interest in impact investing (and preferably with some experience in investment banking, consulting, advisory, or a similar field), we are interested in hearing from you.
We are a learning organization and provide growth opportunities from the start. We pride ourselves on giving you the freedom, resources, and guidance to chart a fulfilling career!
This position will provide broad exposure to the transaction and advisory environment within the growing impact investing market. You will be a key contributor to a variety of projects (usually 2-4 at a time) across our service lines with a diverse range of clients based across the globe, with involvement in business development, and practice building.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Client mandate execution
- Market research, business analysis, and financial modelling
- Preparing client deliverables, including strategy presentations, transaction marketing materials, research documents, and financial models
- Support in project management, including participation in and documentation of calls with clients and investors, managing due diligence processes, maintaining data rooms, etc.
- Occasional travel to client locations as required (when possible)
Business development and practice building
- Participation in conference calls, including weekly pipeline calls, and assistance in tracking and monitoring of pipeline developments
- Research for and preparation of proposals and conference presentations
- Contribution to the knowledge base of the team and improvement of internal processes and tools
- If required, occasionally, work with other teams within Palladium, for example on proposal development or financial modelling tasks
- Providing support to the financial management of the business, including budgeting, forecasting and expense management
- Providing support in building up and managing our CRM database
We are seeking a person who:
Shares our values and passions:
- Sees impact investing as a means to shift the paradigm and transform the world of finance to work better for the world
- Always looks for root causes of problems and is able to see them in their broader context
- Can come up with creative solutions to complex issues and see them through their implementation
- Is willing to learn and is someone who we can learn from
Has a strong work ethic:
- Is able to balance multiple demands with keen attention to detail and light supervision
- Displays strong initiative and ability to work independently
- Is able to deliver consistently high levels of accuracy, efficiency and follow-through
- Has the ability to exercise independent judgment and proactively ask questions as needed
Has the desire to succeed in a transaction environment and in impact investment:
- Experience or studies in one of the following: corporate finance, investment banking, private equity, development finance, venture capital, accountancy or related fields
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Sound understanding of financial modelling
- Ability to structure and organise datasets in Excel
- Proficient in using PowerPoint and Word
Please upload your most recent resume and cover letter.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion - We welcome applications from all sections of society and actively encourage diversity to drive innovation, creativity, success and good practice. We positively welcome and seek to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce; and that all job applicants and employees receive equal and fair treatment regardless of their background or personal characteristics. These include: (but are not limited to) socio-economic background, age, race, gender identity, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, veteran, marital or Indigenous status.
Should you require any adjustments or accommodations to be made due to a disability or you are a neurodivergent individual or any other circumstance, please email our team at email@example.com.
Safeguarding - We define Safeguarding as “the preventative action taken by Palladium to protect our people, clients and the communities we work with from harm”. We are committed to ensuring that all children and adults who come into contact with Palladium are treated with respect and are free from abuse. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced selection process including safeguarding-focused interviews and a rigorous due diligence process.
Palladium is a global company working to design, develop and deliver positive impact on the lives and livelihoods of people around the globe; broaden access to health, water, power, and infrastructure; build enduring, sustainable, and transformative institutions and market systems to address global challenges; and conserve the natural world. We operate in over 90 countries and have a workforce of 3,000 talented, motivated, and diverse staff of all religions, races, languages, and gender identities.
Our Americas’ business team has brilliant and passionate colleagues working in Asia, Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and North and South America as well as the Caribbean, fulfilling projects and assignments for clients from institutions, corporations, governments, and foundations based in the Americas. We have offices in Washington, DC, New York City, and Raleigh-Durham, NC.