About the Job
Morgan Stanleys Global Sustainable Finance (GSF) group is responsible for driving sustainability integration across products and solutions, business activities, and operations, and is the engine that powers the Morgan Stanley Institute for Sustainable Investing. GSF and the Institute work to foster innovation, help develop the next generation of sustainable investing leaders and generate insights that inform and empower investors. Positioned under the firms Chief Sustainability Officer/CEO of the Institute for Sustainable Investing, GSF seeks to publish compelling, engaging and digestible thought leadership for an external investor-minded audience. The goal of thought leadership is to advance the overall mission of accelerating the adoption of sustainable investing and finance, which seeks to deliver both competitive financial returns and positive environmental and social impact, while positioning Morgan Stanley uniquely as a leader in the space.
In close partnership with other members of GSF, this person will lead the strategic development and execution of thought leadership pieces, covering sustainable investing/finance and Firm-level sustainability. The role is primarily focused on generating the Institutes external reports, along with accompanying digital/social media assets, and amplifying the Firm?s insights through a range of external communications channels. The Director will have digital content development expertise and excellent writing skills, honed either from experience in a communications agency, a media company, or at a major corporation. The Director will also have sustainability subject matter knowledge, a passion for sustainable investing/finance, excellent project management skills, as well as strong attention to detail and nuance. In this role, the Director will help develop, write and deliver final content through collaboration across the GSF team, the business units, marketing, digital and other key internal stakeholders. The objective is to create a steady stream of sustainable investing/finance and Firm-level sustainability content across a wide range of topics that is engaging for the Firms audiences. The role will also support other areas of content development, including, but not limited to, internal messaging on ESG, sustainability and sustainable investing/finance, utilizing a similar skillset.
- Work with the GSF team, Firm business units, marketing, digital and others to develop effective, pithy, visually engaging research-driven insights that showcase the Firms expertise and advance the Institutes agenda.
- In collaboration with GSF leadership, deliver an engaging editorial pipeline with a steady cadence of sustainable investing/finance and sustainability content, that aligns with GSF and the Institutes priorities/thematic areas
- Develop and write, in collaboration with GSF team members, both long form and short form digital communications deliverables on a range of topics that support sustainable investing/finance and sustainability priorities at the Firm.
- Produce content that synthesizes key takeaways for individual and institutional investor audiences, and other public audiences, which will be published on the Firms website, social media platforms and paid media channels.
- Ensure quality and accuracy of publications and support GSF leadership in external rollout
- Drive a thought leadership strategy that ensures the Institutes and GSFs content reaches, and has an impact on, the Firms core audiences via social media, paid media, web content and more.
- Support employee engagement messaging by editing internal communications created by the GSF team.
- 10+ years experience in communications, writing or journalism, with a focus on delivering digital content, ideally with an agency background
- Knowledge of, and a passion for, sustainability issues and sustainable investing/finance specifically
- Bachelors degree with a focus on business, finance and/or sustainability
- Finance industry experience strongly preferred
- Excellent writing skills, with an eye toward pithy digital content for a business audience
- Strong ability to prioritize and analyze information that is both quantitative and qualitative in nature to develop insights for an external audience
- Detail-oriented with excellent communication and presentation skills
- Comfort juggling multiple priorities; strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team and as a self-starter Persistence, tenacity and drive for results