About the Job
Accion is currently recruiting an Operations Manager to be an integral member of the Accion Impact Management team, providing operational support to keep the high-performing team running effectively. The role will provide exposure to all aspects of the investment team’s work, including portfolio monitoring, fund operations, regulatory and compliance, and audit– all with a focus on microfinance and innovation in financial inclusion. The position is full-time in a dynamic, hard-working team, with opportunity for growth for high achievers.
About Accion Impact Management
Accion Impact Management is a new initiative of Accion that will house Accion´s new sponsored investment vehicles both for microfinance, fintech and financial inclusion more broadly. Accion has sponsored four top-performing investment vehicles and invests out of its balance sheet. Accion´s balance sheet is housed under Accion Global Investments, which invests in established financial services providers (FSPs) that support underserved micro entrepreneurs, families, and individuals in emerging markets. We work closely with Accion’s digital advisory services group, Global Advisory Solutions, and Accion’s regional teams to provide strategic and operational support to our portfolio companies, with the goal of developing commercially sustainable businesses that realize social and financial returns.
Over more than twenty years, we have founded, invested in, and helped operate some of the world’s leading microfinance institutions and innovative financial service providers, building demonstration models for the market and catalyzing the capital markets to transform financial services for the underserved. Accion has also been a pioneer investing in fintech for inclusion through Accion Venture Lab, doing balance sheet investments and having a side-car co-investment vehicle. Accion’s seed-stage investment initiative Accion Venture Lab provides capital and extensive support to innovative fintech startups that improve the reach, quality, and affordability of financial services for the underserved and have the potential to scale. Backed by commercial and impact investors since the launch of its third-party fund in 2019, Venture Lab has invested in more than 55 early-stage startups that operate in 30 countries worldwide. Venture Lab is a part of Accion, a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a pioneering legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing.
Why you should consider working with us:
We are a globally diverse team working in collaboration towards our shared mission of financial inclusion. Our core values include excellence, respect, and passion for social change. As a team, we share a passion for social impact and believe in the power of financial inclusion to transform the lives of underserved communities.
We are leaders in our industry. Over more than twenty years, we have founded, invested in, and helped operate some of the world’s leading microfinance institutions and innovative financial service providers, building demonstration models for the market and catalyzing the capital markets to transform financial services for the underserved.
We get ambitious things done in a supportive environment. As a member of our team, you will have an ambitious agenda, but you will get plenty of support from your managers and team—in addition to regular learning events, an individual professional development benefit, peer brainstorm and review opportunities, as well as opportunities to collaborate with leaders in our field.
We appreciate each other as people. We know that to grow we need to surround ourselves with people who have had different experiences and backgrounds to ensure creativity of thought and constant learning. We celebrate creativity and learn from our mistakes. In this position you will have the opportunity to lead global projects and to grow and advance with the team.
Portfolio Management and Investment Support:
- In close coordination with both senior and junior investment Staff and the Fund Administrators, oversee the production of Funds´ reports, periodic portfolio updates, and responses to information requests by investors;
- Support the investments team, in particular the Environmental Social and Governance (ESG) Lead(s), on the Funds´ ESG compliance;
- Work on research and data collection for ESG and social impact reporting;
- Assist in the development of presentations and fundraising documents;
- Support the organization of investor and advisory council meetings.
Regulatory and Compliance:
- Oversee regulatory compliance with applicable regime (SEC, state and/or federal);
- Coordinate with Finance, Fund Administrators, and Compliance Officer on Funds´ Compliance and serve as Funds´ liaison for relevant officials, lawyers and other advisors;
- Ensure compliance with Funds and portfolio companies´ documents;
- Develop and implement Funds´ policies and procedures (e.g. conflicts of interest), including investment templates.
Audit and Others:
- Coordinate with Finance to support the annual audit process and coordinate audit materials with other team members;
- Responsible for designing and overseeing investment management systems, policies and procedures, including document management and warehousing process, the use and update of investment process templates, tracking consistency with investment policy and historic practices;
- Oversee corporate administration support on Funds´ management, including file management and bookkeeping, as well as maintaining the Investment Manager’s operating documents;
- Manage relationships with vendors (i.e., Fund Administrators); negotiate and maintain updated vendor contracts.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Business, Economics, Finance or a related field;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience;
- Experience at an investment management firm and/or an investment fund, and fund operations is required;
- Strong project management skills: demonstrated ability develop and execute operational plans successfully with high degree of independence and detail-orientation;
- Experience with SEC regulation is preferred;
- Understanding of ESG is a plus;
- Excellent English communication skills; proficiency in Spanish is a plus;
- Advanced computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (specially on power point);
- Knowledge of financial analysis, financial inclusion, and/or impact investing industry is a plus;
- Demonstrated organizational skills, ability to prioritize workload, track assignments and provide organizational support to colleagues;
- Excellent attention to detail and commitment to follow through;
- Solutions oriented approach with ability to multi-task and troubleshoot;
- Strong sense of teamwork and collaboration, and demonstrated ability to build relationships with individuals from diverse backgrounds;
- Ability to work independently while working with a global team;
- Passionate about our mission and willing to embody our values of excellence, respect and passion for social change.
Accion is a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a pioneering legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. We catalyze financial service providers to deliver high-quality, affordable solutions at scale for the three billion people who are left out of — or poorly served by — the financial sector. For 60 years, Accion has helped tens of millions of people through our work with more than 170 partners in 55 countries. More at http://www.accion.org