About the Job
Role: Chief Financial Officer Led by: CEO
Leader of: Finance Team (today: 1 Financial Controller & 2 Finance Officers)
Summary of position: Sanivation is a venture-backed company that partners with local governments in Africa to create clean, healthy, and productive cities through waste management. We are growing at 300%+ YoY and need a CFO/Director of Finance to help us keep up with that growth and continue to capture the >$1B/yr waste management market in Africa.
The role will focus on the following areas:
- Working with exec team and liaise cross-functionally with other departments to drive strategy development and execution of Sanivation 3- 5 year goals
- Oversee and lead the organization’s entire FP&A function
- Refine corporate fundraising strategies and grow key relationships
- Manage and mitigate internal and external company risks.
The role reports directly to the CEO, will be approved by the Board, and will be critical in supporting Sanivation’s regional expansion and financial objectives.
- An optimistic-realist who strives to exceed realistic expectations
- Excellent analytical ability (e.g. financial modelling) and discipline
- Ability to think clearly and communicate effectively
- Ability to calmly moderate the highs and lows of growth-stage company
- Comfort with the ambiguity that comes with a start-up environment
- Physically based in Kenya >30% of time and work on EAT time zone
- Commercial Leadership and Strategy
- Be a leader and critical voice on Sanivation’s strategy, and support the development of 3-5 year goals.
- Support other leaders on development of expansion strategy via assessing key strategic partners, capital requirements, market maturity, and acquisition strategy
- Continue to build a commercial first, impact-embedded, business culture across the company
- Support Product Managers in developing investment cases for new products and/or expansion
- Financial Planning & Analysis
- Create, regularly update, and present annual and multi-year proformas for management and board discussion
- Develop and implement optimal and compliant transfer pricing mechanisms/models and multi-entity tax planning
- Lead any updates to organizations financial processes and tools, such as ERP design and implementation
- Corporate Fundraising & Investor Relations
- Drive company valuation through compelling investment memos and relationship development with current and future investors
- Establish and extend key financial relationships as required, both inside and outside of Africa
- Advise on shareholding and optimal capital/share structure
- Control & Risk Management & Legal
- Manage and oversee the current control function and respective team members
- Oversee, negotiate and approve final transaction documents
- Implement frameworks to mitigate risks, such as audits, fraud prevention, financial legal compliance, etc.
- Liaise between the Finance and Legal teams and/or legal counsel
- 4+ years of experience at one of the following:
- CFO, Director of Finance, Director of Corporate Finance
- Top investment bank, private investment firm
- 2+ years of experience leading capital raising function
- CPA or ACCA
- 2+ years of experience working at a growth stage company
- Experience in mergers, acquisitions, equity and/or venture capital
- Previous professional, commercial experience working in Africa
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance specialty, MBA preferred
Sanivation’s approach is to partner with local communities & governments to limit the spread of COVID-19 through WASH interventions. As an essential services provider, we are actively working to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in Kenya and preparing to build back better. We are experienced in partnering with local governments to support the research, design, implementation, and monitoring of safely managed sanitation.