About the Job
The Impact Associate will be responsible for impact assessments and decision-making support provided to The Rise Fund platform. Their primary responsibilities will include:
- Conducting impact-related assessments (diligence and ex-post evaluation) of potential investments and portfolio companies for The Rise Fund and other TPG investments. This work requires a combination of desk research, research interpretation, data analysis, and modeling to quantify and monetize the potential societal and environmental impact of a company. This work requires an inquisitive mindset and the ability to think deeply, logically, and critically about nuances in impact.
- Communicating with deal team professionals on live deals, with the rigor and turnaround times of private equity deal flow. The Associate will be expected to deliver high quality deliverables at a fast pace in line with TPG’s private equity diligence cycle. This requires strong attention to detail, the ability to work efficiently and home in on what truly matters, and a pragmatic client service orientation.
- Other research and content development as needed. The Associate will play a cross-functional role on the Y Analytics team and will help support our continued growth. Additional responsibilities may include: conducting research deep dives and analysis related to a particular impact sector or research theme, driving a critical operational or organizational team function, etc.
- Undergraduate degree plus a minimum of 2 years of full-time work experience. Ideal candidate will have at least 1 year of experience in consulting, financial services, research and analytics, or ESG/impact focused professional services; and/or a relevant academic degree.
- Commitment to Y Analytics’ mission to improve the future of humanity and our planet through effective capital allocation for the greater good
- Exceptional quantitative analytics capabilities: must be able to quickly and accurately analyze company data and third-party data – including academic/microeconomic research studies – and apply in practical, live deal scenarios
- Strong strategic thinking and problem solving: must be able to navigate challenges (e.g., data gaps) with creative problem-solving ability and a can-do attitude
- Exceptional written and verbal communication: must be able to synthesize findings from research and data analysis in presentations and written documents, and communicate these to internal and external senior executives
- Demonstrated ownership and self-direction: must be able to drive work forward independently, self- guide research and manage projects, and deliver top quality, highly polished outputs by set deadlines
- Highly collaborative: must be a strong team player who is effective in a fast-paced, teamwork-heavy, cross- functional environment
- Alignment to team values, including appreciation for diversity of people, experiences, and opinions; sense of humility and humor; and commitment to fairness and ethical behavior.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
In lieu of a cover letter, please prepare a 1-page response to the prompt below. Please send your resume and response to Jobs@YAnalytics.org. Write in the subject line: “Last Name, First Name – Impact Associate”.
Application Prompt (please limit your response to a single page or less):
TPG is considering investing in a pharmaceutical company that produces an innovative life-saving drug.
- What are the top three impact pathways (i.e., pathways by which investment in the company could drive positive or negative social and environmental impact, relative to what would have occurred without the investment) you would explore for the company?
- For one of the impact pathways, briefly describe how you might quantify the impact, including what data points would be needed, what assumptions you would need to make, and what sources you would utilize.
- Imagine, in the course of your research, you find two empirical studies covering the same time period with conflicting findings. What would you do?
Y Analytics is TPG's innovative internal capability, purpose-built to understand and improve the environmental and social impacts of deployed capital. Our mission is to increase the amount and effectiveness of capital allocation for the greater good, as described in the UN SDGs, by increasing trust in the social and environmental impact achieved by that capital.
Y Analytics was launched in parallel to The Rise Fund and founded in partnership with TPG/Rise to provide best-in-class insights and tools that improve capital allocation decisions. Our rigorous approach to impact assessment and management draws on evidentiary academic and economic research, enabling greater use of evidence in capital allocation decision making and impact valuation.
Today, Y Analytics directly supports impact assessments and decision-making for The Rise Fund ($4+ billion under management), the recently-announced TPG Rise Climate Fund ($5.4+ billion first close), and other TPG companies/vehicles with impact objectives. Y Analytics’ mandate also covers Environmental, Social, & Governance (ESG) performance and sustainability across TPG’s firm and portfolio. We support TPG and its portfolio companies by assessing ESG performance and advising on value creation opportunities. We also engage publicly to advance capital allocation for good.
As we continue to grow, we are leveraging our capabilities in new and innovative ways and sharing our learnings with the broader investment and research communities.