About the Job
Following on the success of CDC’s work over the most recent 5-year strategy to build an investment framework for Gender Lens Investing, we are now filling the role of the Gender Lead to guide the realisation of CDC’s gender finance targets over the coming 5 year period (2022-26).
The Gender Lead will lead the Gender Team on the implementation of our 2X/Gender Finance framework and methodology, including assessing our pipeline for 2X qualification and overseeing the deployment of advisory capability to support investees post investment. It is recognised that delivery and success of CDCs gender finance approach will only be achieved through the combined efforts and leveraged experiences of staff across CDC, and the efficient and effective influence of CDC staff on investments and investees.
The Gender Lead will:
- Be responsible for the development and implementation of CDCs approach to managing our gender finance portfolio (including 2X assessment and portfolio management)
- Manage CDC’s in-house expert Gender Team to provide advisory and support within CDC (working closely with CDC’s Gender & Diversity Finance Working Groups and reporting to the G&D SteerCo, ExCo and the Board), and with portfolio companies
- Guide the internal roll out and oversight of communications and internal upskilling about our Gender Finance methodology (2X assessment process, new advisory products, TA support, etc)
- Oversee portfolio data collection and management, and oversee dissemination of ongoing analysis of CDC’s performance against 2X gender metrics
- Oversee development and implementation of TA projects that support investees to make improvements to support women across the corporate value chain
- Collaborate with external partners to incubate, scale and test initiatives (including research) that support CDC’s portfolio/pipeline to create a world class gender lens investing programme
- Collaborate with other DFI’s/impact firms to mobilise further activity to support gender lens investing
CDC’s gender finance approach focusses on advancing women’s economic empowerment through our investing by incorporating consideration of women’s participation in our investee businesses (as business owners, leaders, workforce and consumers) as a material factor for our investment decision-making using the 2X framework. We also identify ways we can support our investees to promote gender balance and increased representation by women at all levels in the business in order to improve business performance and provide material benefits to women in our markets. More information about our approach can be found here.
- The purpose of this position is:
- to ensure thoughtful and professional execution of CDC’s approach to gender finance and realisation of CDC’s 2X targets over the 2022-26 five-year strategy.
- to provide cohesive and practical management for the development of effective capabilities and resources that can be deployed to investees and key players in CDC’s markets.
- Provide a leadership role in defining and realising CDC’s Gender Finance priorities articulated in its 2022-26 strategy, including what capabilities it seeks to develop, and how this will be achieved and measured within CDC. This includes oversight of:
- The Gender Team’s input into transactions, across all sectors and product types
- 2X Challenge assessments and qualifications (tracking 2X eligible / qualified deals across pipeline and portfolio, and associated reporting
- CDC’s Gender Finance Working Groups
- Engagement with regional teams to embed gender lens investing principles across regional workplans
- People management/oversight of the Gender Team
- Ensure that internally, the Gender Team engages in the investment and portfolio management processes in partnership with the deal teams and the Impact Group by providing expert technical input into sector and investment strategies, conducting 2X assessments and providing advice and recommendations into individual investment proposals and supporting the design and implementation of longer term value creation activities (including the management of TA funding to support these activities).
- Contribute to the increased understanding of CDC’s gender value proposition as an investor by ensuring lessons and learning are shared across CDC - including through annual reviews, studies and other materials (for staff, senior management, Board, FCDO and external stakeholders) – and externally to the extent required
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or educational background.
Background, skills, aptitude
The ideal candidate will have all or a good selection of the following:
- Proven record of delivering high performance gender equality impact in developing countries and emerging markets
- In-house experience in impact investing, development finance responsible investing, or private equity across investment products
- Direct transaction support, including pre-investment inputs (e.g. screening deals for gender impact, undertaking gender due-diligence, etc) and post-investment capacity building (e.g. value creation work with investees)
- Familiarity with different investment products, including Funds, Debt, Equity and alternative asset classes; as well as CDC’s priority sectors
- People management
- Project management
- Practical and results oriented with proven record of delivering effective and high impact solutions and change on the ground
- Excellent listening and facilitation skills and an ability to deliver impact across matrix-based organisations
- Credible networks in the gender lens investing/impact investing domain
- Leadership and project management skills with intrapreneurial spirit
- Public speaking, stakeholder engagement, relationship management
- Proven record of delivering high performance gender and WEE impact in emerging markets
- Strong private sector and investment experience in relation to gender /WEE
- A practical and results oriented individual who has a proven record of delivering effective and high impact solutions and change on the ground
- Excellent listening and facilitation skills and an ability to deliver impact across matrix based organisations
- Leadership and project management experience
The ideal candidate will have all or a good selection of the following:
- Advanced degree or comparable experience in the domain of development impact/gender studies/social science or business
- Advanced MS office: Excel, PowerPoint, Word, SharePoint
- IFC Performance Standards, ILO conventions or similar
- MBA, CFA, ACA or similar
- Fluency in French, Arabic, Hindi or Bengali
Candidates should be strongly motivated by CDC’s development mission and ideally demonstrate some commitment to development or social goals through previous executive or non-executive activity.
Please provide a cover letter with your application
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Established in 1948 we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and Asia with the aim of supporting economic development.
- CDC has net assets of £6.4bn and a portfolio of £4.7 billion. In 2019 we committed over £1.66 billion of capital to business in Africa and Asia and are now invested in 1,200 businesses which directly employ over 875,000 workers and support many more.
- CDC is a Public Limited Company and is wholly owned on behalf of the UK government by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO).
- In the last few years, we have expanded our presence in Africa and Asia by opening new offices in Bangladesh, Egypt, Kenya, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria and Pakistan with additional locations opening soon.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests through direct equity, direct debt and funds products to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 485 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com