About the Job
Reporting/Supervisor: Director, Business Development Location: Remote Contract: 3 months, with possible extension Travel: 10% travel
I. Who we are
Acceso (www.acceso.org) is a pioneering social business builder that is revolutionizing food systems in LAC. Acceso’s mission is to create fundamental and lasting economic change in the lives of rural smallholder farming families. Our pioneering social enterprises in Colombia, Haiti, and El Salvador, which work end-to-end across local value chains, provide smallholder farmers with a sustainable way to participate in formalized markets, enabling them to work themselves out of poverty with dignity and to prosper.
Acceso is in the process of scaling its innovative agtech Extensio (www.extensio.mx) across LAC. Acting as a digital field agent, Extensio employs mobile communication (WhatsApp/SMS) to provide farmers and actors in agricultural value chains with timely information for decision-making: weather forecasts, pest and disease alerts, climate-smart agricultural practices, good agricultural practices, crop-specific information, and market information. Extensio’s services have reached 24,000 farmers in Mexico, Colombia, El Salvador, Ecuador, and Haiti. Extensio is a certified Mexican B-Corporation, elected Best for the World 2021 for its impact in food value chains.
As part of the scaling process, Acceso is developing a gender strategy to reach more female farmers/producers through Extensio to improve their agricultural knowledge and productivity as well as to provide them with gender-specific content on key themes such as financial inclusion, gender-based violence, etc.
II. Position Description
The Gender Consultant will play a key role in guiding and developing Acceso’s gender strategy and building gender-specific modules as part of a growing, entrepreneurial team. The role will have specific deliverables during the three-month consultancy term.
III. Essential Functions
The duties listed below are intended as illustrations of the types of duties that may be performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the consultancy if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this consultancy.
Advise and guide overall gender strategy
- Develop a framework for Acceso’s gender strategy of reaching more women farmers
- Develop and provide training to Acceso and Extensio teams on key gender themes; improve knowledge on how to better recruit and communicate with women farmers.
- Ensure gender mainstreaming into projects and operations
Knowledge building and module development
- Facilitate knowledge building on gender related issues
- Analyse and advise on key gender issues faced by women farmers in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Develop Extensio content modules (specific messaging to women farmers) on gender issues
- Research complementary programs and resources in Acceso’s countries that women farmers can be referred to
- Support the preparation of reports on Acceso’s gender strategy; document successful activities and methodologies for gender integration
- Design focus groups and surveys with women farmers to gauge their participation in agriculture, decision-making, issues faced and access to technology (phones).
- Support development of specific strategies for the direct marketing of Extensio to and recruiting of women users
- Help develop and review communication materials, including reviewing them for gender sensitivity and use of the gender-sensitive language;
- Support the creation of strategic partnerships related to Acceso’s gender strategy; liaise with partners as needed
Education: Bachelor’s degree in social science, development studies, gender, or related field; Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 5 years of working experience in/with gender-related development programs/projects; experience in Latin America and the Caribbean strongly preferred
- Demonstrated experience with gender integration in development programming
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Experience in organizing and conducting trainings
- Strong analytical, presentation and reporting skills
- Strong project management skills and ability to work independently
- Team player
- Experience with technology is a plus
- Work/volunteering experience with rural or low-income communities is ideal
- Passion and commitment to social impact
- Advanced user of MS Office Suite applications
Languages: Fluency in Spanish and English, both verbal and written, required.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject “Gender Consultant” by October 22, 2021.
Acceso (www.acceso.org) is revolutionizing food systems in Latin America and the Caribbean to put smallholder farmers and food system workers first. Our mission is to create fundamental and lasting economic change in the lives of rural smallholder farming families. Our pioneering entrepreneurial model provides smallholder farmers with a sustainable way to participate in formalized markets, enabling them to work themselves out of poverty with dignity and to prosper. Acceso’s current social enterprises in Colombia, El Salvador, and Haiti have generated over $55M for more than 15,000 smallholder farmers and farm workers.