About the Job
Team and Role Overview
The Financial Services (“FS”) Debt team focuses on structuring senior and subordinated debt transactions across different financial services clients (e.g. Banks, Microfinance Institutions, Non-Bank Financial Institutions, FinTech companies etc).
The Investment Associate will support the work of the FS Debt team from the origination to the execution and monitoring of FS Debt transactions. This will include research and strategy work, the initial assessment of new opportunities, credit analysis, due diligence, and portfolio management activities, as required, as well as liaising with other relevant transaction support teams.
There are 5 job levels in our teams – Associate, Executive, Manager, Director & Team Head. The role would be at Associate level, and will be London based.
The Associate will be capable of:
- Analysing new investment propositions, preparing screening and credit proposals, including financial analysis and modelling, as well as preparing monitoring papers.
- Completing discrete due diligence tasks assigned such as company, industry and economic analysis. The Associate may work on assignments across CDC’s countries operation, including Africa, South Asia and South East Asia, and may be required to travel accordingly.
Due diligence, credit analysis and deal execution:
- Supporting senior members of the team and colleagues working on new debt proposals.
- The Associate will be responsible for analysis, including: sector / market analysis, company / borrower analysis (including credit analysis), macro-economic analysis.
- Reviewing and/or building financial models, conducting further analysis and stress tests where necessary.
- Responsibility for drafting the relevant sections of investment proposals.
- Over time, the Associate will gain experience in all aspects of financial institution credit assessment and due diligence, and will take responsibility for a broader range of due diligence and deal completion related work.
- Supporting the preparation and implementation of technical assistance provided to the investee companies.
- Supporting role in monitoring the portfolio of existing loans and facilities.
- Responsibilities include: reviewing company reports, monitoring compliance with covenants, flagging any potential credit issues and preparing monitoring papers for review by CDC’s Investment Committee.
- Updating internal deal and portfolio management systems as required.
Research and strategy:
- Contributing to sector and country strategies, collecting market data and other ad-hoc research and analytical activities relevant to CDC’s FS debt business.
- Keeping up-to-date with deal-flow, deal management and portfolio monitoring databases for all transactions covered by the FS Debt team.
Background, skills, aptitude
- University degree in Finance, Economics, Corporate Finance, Accounting, or other relevant degree;
- Relevant experience within a Development Finance Institution (“DFI”) or banking/investment environment, with exposure to financial institutions (bank and non-bank);
- Demonstration of identity with CDC’s proposition including:
- An awareness of and appreciation for CDC’s objectives
- A desire and passion to be part of CDC’s strategy and participate in its work
- Evidence of high performance standards in previous positions
- Analytical and research skills (including the ability to analyse Financial Institution (“FI”) reports, sector data, macroeconomic and relevant political events);
- FI credit analysis skills and ability to analyse an FI’s financial statements and make commercial assessments; strong writing skills in English required.
- Financial modelling and Excel skills;
- Ability to work on multiple projects while working to deadlines and managing time effectively;
- Good business communication and presentation skills;
- As a member of a small team, a flexible and “hands on” approach is a prerequisite;
- An active interest in investing in developing countries and understanding of emerging market environments, with a willingness to travel;
- Working knowledge of French language would be a plus.
Candidates should be strongly motivated by CDC’s development mission and ideally demonstrate some commitment to development or social goals through previous executive or non-executive activity.
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or educational background.
Please provide a cover letter with your application
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Established in 1948 we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and Asia with the aim of supporting economic development.
- CDC has net assets of £6.4bn and a portfolio of £4.7 billion. In 2019 we committed over £1.66 billion of capital to business in Africa and Asia and are now invested in 1,200 businesses which directly employ over 875,000 workers and support many more.
- CDC is a Public Limited Company and is wholly owned on behalf of the UK government by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO).
- In the last few years, we have expanded our presence in Africa and Asia by opening new offices in Bangladesh, Egypt, Kenya, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria and Pakistan with additional locations opening soon.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests through direct equity, direct debt and funds products to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 485 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com