About the Job
Team and role overview
CDC Project Finance Team is part of the Infrastructure Product Group which also consist of Equity infrastructure and Energy Access & Efficiency. The Group focuses on sectors that support significant employment creation across Africa and South Asia such as energy, transport, ports, mid-stream gas and water. There are 5 job levels – Associate, Executive, Manager, Director & Team Head
The Associate will support the work of the Project Finance team from the origination to the execution and monitoring of Project Finance transactions. This will include research and strategy work, the initial assessment of new opportunities, credit analysis, due diligence, and portfolio management activities, as required, as well as assisting and liaising with other relevant transaction support teams (Legal, Environmental and Social, Business Integrity and Development Impact).
Due diligence, credit analysis and deal execution:
- Supporting senior members of the team and colleagues working on new debt proposals. Analysing new debt propositions, preparing screening and credit proposals, including financial analysis and modelling, as well as preparing monitoring papers.
- The Associate will be responsible for analysis, including: sector / market analysis; company / borrower analysis (including credit analysis and financial modelling); macro-economic analysis.
- Responsibility for drafting the relevant sections of investment proposals.
- Over time, the Associate will gain experience in all aspects of credit assessment and due diligence and will take responsibility for a broader range of due diligence and deal completion related work.
- Supporting role on monitoring the portfolio of existing loans.
- Responsibilities include: reviewing company reports; monitoring compliance with covenants; flagging any potential credit issues and preparing monitoring papers for review by CDC’s investment committee.
- Updating internal systems such as eFront as required.
Research and strategy:
- Contributing to sector and country strategies; collecting market data and other ad-hoc research and analytical activities relevant to CDC’s debt business.
- Keeping up-to-date with deal-flow, deal management and portfolio monitoring databases for all transactions covered by the debt team.
Background, skills, aptitude
- Ideally work experience within investment banking, advisory or consulting of which you must have relevant project finance experience working on suitable lending transactions;
- Strong financial modelling, excel, analytical and research skills (including the ability to analyse company reports, sector data, macroeconomic and relevant political events);
- Credit analysis skills and ability to analyse a company’s financial statements and make commercial assessments;
- Ability to work on multiple projects across products and sectors while working to deadlines and managing time effectively;
- Good business communication and presentation skills;
- Evidence of relationship building and ability to develop a network of relevant external contacts, as well as internally across different teams;
- As a member of a small team, a flexible and “hands on” approach is a prerequisite; Foreign language skills, particularly those spoken in CDC’s geographies would be an additional advantage;
- An active interest in investing in developing countries and understanding of emerging market environments, with a willingness to travel;
- Candidates should be strongly motivated by CDC’s development mission and ideally demonstrate some commitment to development or social goals through previous executive or non-executive activity.
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or educational background.
Please provide a cover letter with your application
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Established in 1948 we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and Asia with the aim of supporting economic development.
- CDC has net assets of £6.4bn and a portfolio of £4.7 billion. In 2019 we committed over £1.66 billion of capital to business in Africa and Asia and are now invested in 1,200 businesses which directly employ over 875,000 workers and support many more.
- CDC is a Public Limited Company and is wholly owned on behalf of the UK government by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO).
- In the last few years, we have expanded our presence in Africa and Asia by opening new offices in Bangladesh, Egypt, Kenya, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria and Pakistan with additional locations opening soon.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests through direct equity, direct debt and funds products to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 485 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com