About the Job
Lyme is looking for an outstanding individual to join its team based in Hanover, NH to lead financial and strategic planning and analysis for two to three of its forestland investments and subsidiary portfolio companies. As Portfolio Manager, you will work closely with Lyme’s leadership team and local management teams in budgeting, strategy development and implementation, and general management.
For existing investments, the Portfolio Manager will help to formulate and execute value-add opportunities, implement land conservation and carbon sequestration strategies, run quarterly investment reviews, prepare internal valuations, budgets, and cash flow projections, and perform ad-hoc analysis in support of portfolio company management. The Portfolio Manager will also be involved in new investing activities across the firm, performing market analysis, building cash flow projections, and working on transaction structuring.
The Portfolio Manager will work alongside Lyme’s Managing Directors and other Lyme staff to ensure that financial goals are met while also achieving the highest standards in sustainable forestry and environmental, social, and governance (ESG) practices.
The firm supports a work-life balance and opportunities for career progression. In addition to competitive compensation, we provide excellent benefits, including health insurance, 401k match, paid sick time, and parental leave, and the opportunity to invest in Lyme-sponsored funds. Lyme’s offices are in downtown Hanover, NH in the Upper Valley region of New Hampshire and Vermont. The Upper Valley offers the unique combination of rural living alongside cultural events brought by Dartmouth College, access to the outdoors, including the White and Green Mountains and numerous ski resorts, an excellent public school system, and easy access to nearby cities such as Boston.
Essential Job Functions
- Manage the implementation of business strategy and planning for timberlands and portfolio companies, including analyzing operational performance, capital investments, pricing decisions, conservation strategies, carbon project development, and complementary business opportunities
- Lead relationships with conservation partners, joint-venture partners, and prospective partners for new business opportunities
- Prepare annual portfolio company budgets, develop key performance indicators (KPIs), and collect and monitor financial data to evaluate performance against budgets and KPIs
- Organize and lead quarterly Board/ management team reviews
- Update valuation models for investments on a quarterly basis and prepare commentary on investments for quarterly reports to Lyme investors
- Ensure compliance with portfolio company obligations to lenders, carbon offset program registries, third-party certification bodies, conservation easement holders, lessees, supply agreement counterparties, and Lyme investors
- Participate in investment due diligence for new investment opportunities
- Conduct investment research and analysis on timberland and forest products markets and markets related to other assets in or under consideration for Lyme funds
- Participate in fundraising and engagement with investors in Lyme funds
- Provide leadership on special projects and strategies
- Degrees or equivalent job experience in both forestry and finance
- Strong quantitative skills, including high proficiency with modelling in Microsoft Excel
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication, and research skills
- Strong team player with a positive can-do attitude and desire to be part of a close-knit group operating in an intense and high-performing work environment
- Exceptional critical thinking and problem-solving ability
- Hard work, teamwork, accountability, integrity
- Travel to timberlands, business and investor meetings, conferences
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis.
Employment in this position is contingent upon, consent to, and successful completion of a pre-employment background check. Lyme is committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce and creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
The Lyme Timber Company
The Lyme Timber Company LP is a private investment management company that focuses on the acquisition and sustainable management of forestland in the US and Canada. Since its founding in 1976, Lyme has followed a disciplined and value-oriented approach to its investments. The Company’s current portfolio includes approximately 1.6 million acres in New York, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Tennessee, Alabama, Florida, Michigan, Wisconsin, and California. Lyme takes a hands-on approach to investment management by establishing local operating companies, investing in forest-product businesses in regions where we own land, and pursuing other value-add strategies such as conservation transactions.
Lyme is widely recognized as a leader in the field of timberland management and conservation finance, with a long history of permanent conservation outcomes, forest carbon sequestration projects, and other ecosystem services investments. The company’s core values include honesty, integrity, innovative problem solving, stewardship of land, forests and natural systems, and fairness and respect toward one another, our partners, and the communities where we work.