About the Job
Salary: $85,000 - 95,000 / year
Location: New York, NY. The role will begin remotely until conditions in New York allow for safe, in-person working conditions.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Investment Associate will report to the Vice President of Capital Solutions in support of Civic’s national charter school lending platforms. On a day-to-day basis, he or she will work closely with internal and external stakeholders on the full cycle of activities related to real estate lending including origination, underwriting, technical assistance, closing transactions and transitioning loans into the asset management and compliance phases. He or she may also support the Lending Team on strategic projects, process improvement efforts and/or other corporate initiatives on an as-needed basis.
Candidates interested in this role should be able to substantiate their prior experiences with the following types of work:
- Underwrites commercial real estate investments with a creative and solutions-oriented outlook on deal structuring and credit.
- A successful candidate will have experience leading investments through due diligence, credit underwriting, credit/investment committee approval, and closing processes
- Within their first year, Associates should independently handle inter-creditor negotiations, review of real estate contracts and/or leases in addition to the standard financial analysis and investment due diligence processes
- Lending experience in the charter school and/or community development space is a plus, as is experience with asset management
- Displays a creative, solutions-oriented outlook on deal structuring and credit.
- Think creatively about non-traditional deal structuring options to balance unmitigated credit challenges
- Work collaboratively with senior financial services leadership support mission-oriented goals while maintaining appropriate lending boundaries
- Clearly communicates complex terms and structures to audiences with a range of technical expertise.
- Candidates should be able to craft a clear and compelling narrative that details the potential investment’s strengths, weaknesses and mitigating factors while highlighting programmatic alignment within the detailed credit memo
- Candidates should feel comfortable presenting investment memos and recommendations to senior stakeholders to secure investment authorization
- Maintains a high threshold for providing a positive customer service experience.
- Build a positive and professional relationship with prospective borrowers, stakeholders, partner organizations and third-party service providers that will outlast any individual transaction engagement
- Meaningfully contributes to the management and operations of one or more of Civic Builders’ lending programs.
- Support or lead weekly program meetings
- Develop and contribute presentation-ready content for periodic stakeholder and reporting updates
- Participate in ongoing efforts to establish and/or improve internal processes
- Bring an entrepreneurial energy and open-minded perspective to your work
Alert re Travel:
- Site visits to prospective borrowers are a typical part of the underwriting process for each investment Travel to support originations work, contribute to new market development and to represent Civic Builders at national conferences may be required
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, travel is temporarily suspended and is not expected until conditions allow travel to occur safely
Civic Builders believes that diversity, in all its forms, enriches society and our organization. Because we support students in the highest need neighborhoods, we have a particular charge to understand our schools and their communities. When our staff, board, and partners reflect, value and embrace the voices and perspectives of those most impacted by what we do, we have a deeper understanding and connection to their needs and more effectively achieve our aspiration of improving lives, revitalizing communities and helping children receive the education they deserve.
The ideal candidate profile will include:
- Lending Experience: 3-5 years of relevant experience with credit underwriting for direct investment/lending, preferably in the community development, charter school or other relevant sectors.
- Product Knowledge: Understanding of commercial real estate, or cash-flow driven lending. Interest in learning about the CDFI bond guaranty program, New Markets Tax Credits program, and/or tax-exempt bond market.
- Relationship Building: Ability to build strong and effective relationships with a variety of stakeholders with diverse experiences and backgrounds.
- Mission Orientation: Passionate about Civic Builders’ mission to support the provision of equitable access to education.
- Entrepreneurial Outlook: Thrive in a high-growth, fast-paced environment, with the ability to be flexible and navigate ambiguous situations.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required. MBA or similar advanced degree a plus.
This search is being managed by ATS+Partners. Please submit your application via this link: https://ats.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a24bsexhypi5 Note: Resumes submitted in the absence of a cover letter may or may not be considered. Cover letters should include your interest in working in a small and growing lending business focused on supporting the expansion of charter schools nationwide.
ATS+Partners for Civic Buiders
Civic Builders transforms children’s lives and revitalizes communities by building inspirational schools for students in underserved neighborhoods. Dedicated to giving every child the chance to attend a great school, Civic Builders partners with the nation’s best educators to create public charter school buildings for students in communities where the need is greatest.
Since 2002, Civic Builders has built inspiring, bright, and modern buildings that give its partner schools cost effective, customized educational space. Civic Builders expanded its business to include direct lending to non-profit charter schools and affiliates nationwide beginning in 2017. Over its three year history, has invested nearly $140M in high quality facilities projects.
Civic Builders schools give underserved students—82% of students at Civic Builders schools live in poverty and 96% are minorities—the opportunity to excel. In addition, the success these students achieve goes beyond the classroom, as Civic Builders schools become anchors for the low-income, underserved neighborhoods where they are located. Civic Builders schools revitalize communities by providing beautiful spaces where generations of students can learn and where communities come together to support their children’s futures.