About the Job
Global Partnerships (GP) is an impact-first investor dedicated to expanding opportunity for people living in poverty. Impact-first investing means investing in a way that seeks the greatest possible social impact, while seeking to preserve capital with a modest financial return for investors. GP believes that impact-first investing has an essential role to play in advancing sustainable solutions to poverty for millions of people worldwide.
GP creates and manages impact-first investment funds that make loans and early-stage investments in social enterprises serving people living in poverty in less developed countries, primarily in Latin America and Africa. The GP team is comprised of mission-driven, dedicated, high-performing colleagues working primarily from offices in Seattle, Washington, Bogotá, Colombia, and Nairobi, Kenya. To learn more about Global Partnerships, please visit our website at www.globalpartnerships.org.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Accounting Officer will play a critical role in GP's financial and accounting operations. This position is responsible for accounting duties related to the three branch offices as well as the investment fund accounting for five investment fund entities. We seek an individual with accounting experience in a multi-site and multi-company environment, who enjoys transactional work and takes pride in producing accurate and timely financial information. We seek a dedicated self-starter who would like to become a go-to person for our office and who is committed to our mission.
- Manage day-to-day accounting operations including Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and General Ledger for all three offices
- Manage daily bank account activity for all entities, monitor cash flow, ensure proper cash levels, and prepare monthly bank account reconciliations
- Initiate bank payments, including navigating various online banking platforms
- Responsible for month and quarter end closing of financial statements, including
- Preparation and processing of journal entries
- Reviewing Balance Sheet and Profit Loss statements for variances in budgets
- Preparing financial reports and supporting schedules
- Account for foreign currencies, including translation of local currency expenses into US dollars
- Maintain detailed expense tracking as required for program activities and grant requirements
- Review donor database to accurately record pledges and contributions
- Accurately input and update records and data across the Organization's various systems
- Preparation of Audit schedules for all the Organization's various audits. Key point of contact for auditors' questions and requests
Fund related responsibilities:
- Manage the accounts receivable invoicing, the collection of borrower payments, and the collection follow-up
- Assist with review of the borrower loan payment calendars and maintain the payment collection data
- Reconcile and verify payment advice statements for local currency hedge contracts and ensure correct payments and collections are made
- Manage quarterly investor accounts payable payment processes
- Maintain payment instructions used for loan disbursements and investor payments
- Assist in processing all other financial transactions related to the investment fund entities
- Respond to borrower and investor financial information requests
- Assist with monthly financial statement reporting, quarterly investor reports, management dashboards, GP Board reporting, and other special reporting
- Prepare year-end investor IRS tax forms 1099 and 1042
- Assist with the annual budget process, due diligence requests, and other ad hoc items
- Track, review, and submit all compliance, tax, regulatory and other legal reporting requirements accurately and in a timely manner
- Responsible for tracking and maintaining compliance records, as well as formulating and maintaining an effective records management system and archiving process
- Assist Accounting and Compliance Officer with supporting tasks
Payroll & Office:
- Assist with payroll processing
- Manage employee transportation benefits
- Provide backup support to GP staff for office equipment or facility issues
- Exceptional organizational skills and composure needed to work within a fast-paced work environment, including proven ability to prioritize competing demands effectively and adapt easily and quickly to changing priorities
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate within and across teams and across cultures
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; capable of highly professional engagement with colleagues, board members, donors, and partners
- Self-motivated work ethic, proactive; able to see tasks through to completion independently
- Strong interpersonal skills and diplomacy coupled with sound judgment and problem-solving capabilities
- Proven experience to handle confidential matters with professionalism and discretion
- Embodies GP's values: Dedicated, Strategic, Collaborative, Aspirational Learner, and Excellence
- Has a passion for GP's mission to expand opportunity for people living in poverty
- College degree in accounting, business or finance preferred
- Preferred 1-2 years' relevant accounting work experience
- Multi-lingual working proficiency strongly preferred: Spanish and English (French also useful)
- Excellent computer skills, including knowledge of NetSuite or other accounting software systems and Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel
- Solid attention to accuracy, detail, and deadlines
- Ability to work independently and balance multiple projects at the same time
- Be able to understand transactional complexity and book proper accounting
- Analytical thinker, who likes to problem solve and implement process improvements
If interested, please follow the below link to apply. Failure to do so may cause a delay in reviewing your application. Interviews with final candidates are required.
Required Application Documents:
- Brief cover letter
Global Partnerships is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on ethnic origin/race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. For priority consideration, please apply by October 1, 2021.
Due to the volume of applications, we will contact only those candidates selected for interviews – no follow-ups, please.
Finalists will be asked to submit references, including name, email, and phone number of at least two former supervisors. All offers will be contingent upon reference checks as well as a background check.