About the Job
You will provide advice, guidance, and support to headquarters, regional, and country teams to integrate the most contextually appropriate and sustainable private sector engagement (PSE) approaches into the design of new programs, while also supporting the implementation of related awards. Your knowledge, advice, and guidance will contribute to effective, adaptive, and innovative PSE within CRS programing across the globe. You will also contribute to internal learning processes that help shape and influence CRS’ strategies to better achieve sustainability and expand its ability to reach scale through private sector partnerships and strategic alliances to serve the poor and vulnerable.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Advise teams on integrating the private sector and market systems development (MSD) approaches into prepositioning and design for new projects. Propose technical solutions to teams, remotely and on-site, for strategic planning and how to best apply standards, best practices, partnership principles, tools, and M&E, to help ensure high-quality implementation.
- Contribute to, and in some cases lead, the development of the technical design in PSE for proposals. Support the process of preparation, design, submission and approval of project concepts and full-fledged proposals. Advise project teams on integrating donor strategies, priorities, and technical requirements into CRS' approach.
- Support capacity strengthening initiatives for staff and partners by developing learning and training strategies and agendas/curriculums, conducting trainings and workshops, and mentoring and coaching staff.
- Develop content to support knowledge management and learning (KML) efforts, such as presenting for the expected PSE Community of Practice, working with colleagues across departments to integrate and/or update policies and guidance to enable effective PSE.
- Support the PSE KML Lead to collect and analyze program data, manage contractors conducting data collection and analysis, capture and share lessons learned across CRS sectors and external audiences and best practices for specific projects to contribute to the PSE Learning Agenda.
- Participate in forums in the area of private sector engagement to collect and share best practices and promote CRS' work.
- Support teams to conduct appropriate levels of due diligence according to the type(s) of proposed private sector engagement or partnership(s).
- Participate in short-term assignments to support all phases of the project live cycle, as prioritized by the team.
- This job description is not a comprehensive list of responsibilities and is expected to change as agency and team needs require.
- Bachelor’s Degree in International Development or related field, with a focus on business, market-based approaches and/or finance required, advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of three years of relevant work experience with progressive responsibilities, ideally with an international NGO that implements USG-funded programs.
- Minimum of three years of relevant field-based experience in market systems development and/or PSE in chronically poor or vulnerable contexts.
- Knowledge of technical principles and concepts in PSE and/or market systems development. General knowledge of other related technical disciplines to ensure proper cross-sectoral approach, such as value chain development, social marketing, WASH, etc.
- Experience in project design and proposal development. Experience in writing content for proposals.
- Knowledge of application of capacity strengthening best practices, including mentoring, coaching, facilitation and training, and applying adult learning principles and practices.
- Experience with program monitoring and evaluation and analysis.
- Skills in networking and building relationships with donors, peer organizations, and faith-based and civil society Understanding of partnership principles.
Required Languages – Fluency in English required. Professional proficiency in French, Spanish, or other languages strongly preferred.
Travel -- Must be willing and able to travel up to 40%.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong relationship management skills with ability to influence and get buy-in from people not under direct supervision and to work with individuals in diverse geographical and cultural settings.
- Good strategic, analytical, problem-solving and systems thinking skills with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment.
- Proactive, resourceful, and results-oriented; self-starter with ability to prioritize and identify tangible steps to implement new approaches.
- Excellent technical writing skills.
- Presentation, facilitation, training, mentoring, and coaching skills.
- Proficient in MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information and budget management systems, knowledge-sharing networks.
Catholic Relief Services
A leading global humanitarian and development agency, Catholic Relief Services (CRS) reaches over 130 million people across more than 110 countries. Since 1943, we have built strong partnerships with local communities, governments, and organizations around the world, creating renowned programming and operations that produce tangible results and make us a trusted partner. Our mission is lasting transformation of individual lives and entire societies—change that requires significant resources.
Government funding and philanthropy alone are insufficient to address the urgent and multidimensional issues of poverty and injustice affecting our world. Impact investing presents a unique opportunity to bring further innovation, scale, and sustainable solutions to programs that address the needs of vulnerable people and communities. CRS uses its own capital to pilot and scale innovative investment approaches and bring together investors to address market gaps.