About the Job
We are currently hiring for maternity cover for our Impact Management Leadership Team. The role(s) are at the heart of our impact management team and we will consider candidates at both Manager and Director level.
Team and role overview
- CDC’s Development Impact Management team is market-leading and provides technical leadership to assess, manage and evaluate the impact of our investments. CDC’s objective is to push the boundaries in impact management within a world-class impact framework. So we take an active approach to impact management, utilising an impact management framework based on the Impact Management Project’s consensus and the Operating Principles for Impact Management.
- Our impact professionals work working side by side with our investment teams to actively manage the impact of every investment we make. This approach is designed to create deals teams with the professional capability and expertise to reflect our mandate to improve people’s lives and protect the planet.
- CDC’s Development Impact Management team is made up of 21 people and operates a matrix structure of Leads organised by sector and regions (e.g Financial Services, Infrastructure & Climate, South Asia) supported by team members, some of which are sector experts and others who work across products, sectors and regions.
The role(s) will oversee effective and high-quality impact management and continued improvements of our impact management systems. In particular of the new tools that will be used to monitor and manage the impact performance of the portfolio in the next strategy period. The fast pace of improvement in the impact management industry makes this a challenging and fascinating role requiring continual innovation and improvement. The successful candidate(s) will form part of the Impact Management Leadership team and will work closely with the Team Head supporting the running of the team and also with other senior stakeholders within the organisation.
The role will also involve people management responsibilities and the successful candidate is expected to coach and mentor others in the team and to play an active role in improving the impact management capabilities of the team.
Specific responsibilities will be driven by priorities and the dynamic needs of the team at the time, and will include some of the following:
- Support the continual development of CDC’s impact management framework ensuring tools, systems and capabilities remain world class.
- Further developing tools and process for impact management and responding to areas for development identified in external evaluations.
- Continually reviewing and enhancing our impact framework to keep pace with advancements in the industry.
- Supporting the development of impact-led investment strategies defining where CDC can make the greatest difference to people’s lives.
- Leadership of impact management, including accountability for impact management for part of the portfolio, work planning for the investment teams’ resources and relationship management (internally and with investee companies):
- Providing impact leadership and oversight. This will include CDC’s strategies, pipeline and portfolio management activities and entail effective impact management prioritisation, resourcing, issue identification and resolution.
- Building CDC’s impact management capability and providing impact management advice consistent with CDC’s Impact Management Framework, priorities and precedents.
- Support the development of impact-led investment strategies supporting origination of investments where CDC can make the greatest difference to people’s lives and the planet.
- Delivery of impact management activities (supported by Sector Executives and cross-cutting resources) within the Financial Services Group.
- Assess development impact as part of the investment due diligence process. Working seamlessly with investment team colleagues to inform the investment decision and define the impact objectives.
- Develop a high-quality development impact dashboard for each investment based on the Impact Management Project’s consensus which will involve desk research, facilitating discussions, due diligence and managing external suppliers where necessary. As part of the deal team supporting investment professionals through the investment process including at Investment Committee.
- Actively manage and support investments to enhance the impact by participating in the design and implementation of initiatives and partnerships. Work directly and coaching investees and sharing knowledge and lessons learnt of best practice.
- Define the monitoring plan for the investment and collect the impact metrics to track actual impact of investments, ensuring analysis is timely and high quality.
- Assess how investments are performing against their initial development objectives, determining when course corrections are required and completing exit reviews, feeding back learning to the investment team and the broader organisation. Building the capability of the Development Impact team and our impact framework and processes.
- Analysing and assessing the performance of the overall portfolio including the extent to which it is achieving CDC’s impact priorities and considering relative impact performance across sectors, products and other themes. The team’s sector leads are accountable for the performance of the relevant parts of the portfolio; this role looks across the entire portfolio.
- Sharing lessons learnt, emerging themes and best practice from the portfolio for example on governance, incentive systems, developmental strategies and value additionality.
- Communicating CDC’s approach to impact management, our impact achievements and building CDC’s brand as an impact led investor amongst
- Plan and deliver a communications plan to build wider understanding of CDC’s approach to impact management and the progress we have been made.
- Build CDC’s brand within the impact management sector focussed on infrastructure.
- Represent CDC and build, maintain and leverage a network of leading impact managers/experts which can be leveraged to improve CDC’s impact management.
- Building the capability of the Development Impact team and the impact management capability of CDC:
- People management, coaching and development of members of the team. Supporting the development of the overall capability of the Development Impact team.
- Build capacity of CDC – particularly investment professionals - in impact management across OPIM principles, through trainings, shadowing, expert speakers etc.
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or educational background.
- Strong academic credentials. Preferably a Master’s in Economics, Development Economics or equivalent analytical post graduate degree.
- Strong work experience in a relevant field, preferably as an impact manager within impact investment or, at a minimum, with a good grounding in development impact management working with private sector companies.
- Work experience relevant to developing countries, preferably in Africa and/or South Asia.
- Work experience of impact management at a portfolio level and experience of building impact frameworks and/or taking impact decision related to investments.
- Experience in management positions including management of multiple people.
- Practical understanding of impact management, private sector development and how to achieve development outcomes through investment.
- A strategic and logical approach to developing impact frameworks, understanding of best practice in the industry and the approaches used by leading players.
- Experience of making high quality judgment calls to make impact investment decisions and manage impact outcomes. Conscious of costs and benefits and capability to explain opportunities and challenges to investee companies.
- Understanding of underlying commercial strategies and ability to consider development impact in an entrepreneurial and pragmatic manner.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills. Confident dealing with complexity and can combine objective quantitative analysis with expert qualitative judgment. Confident in managing data and collating and presenting evidence.
- Good knowledge and network of third parties in impact management industry who can be leveraged to help deliver enhanced impact with our investee companies.
- Track record in management: Organising team to meet agreed deadlines and drive productivity and cohesion. Strong project management, analysis and reporting skills, with the ability to deliver data and insights informed strategic approaches. Able to prioritise tasks and manage multiple work streams simultaneously in a complex and fast-moving environment.
- Strong communication skills: the ability to describe complex development impact scenarios with accuracy and concision and the ability to explain development impact to non-professionals and across a range of cultural backgrounds.
- Self-starter with a bias for action who is resilient, with a problem-solving approach.
- Proven capability of effective team work and strong stakeholder/relationship management.
- The role may require travel, mostly within Africa and South Asia to work with investee companies.
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
Please provide a cover letter with your application
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Established in 1948 we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and Asia with the aim of supporting economic development.
- CDC has net assets of £6.4bn and a portfolio of £4.7 billion. In 2019 we committed over £1.66 billion of capital to business in Africa and Asia and are now invested in 1,200 businesses which directly employ over 875,000 workers and support many more.
- CDC is a Public Limited Company and is wholly owned on behalf of the UK government by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO).
- In the last few years, we have expanded our presence in Africa and Asia by opening new offices in Bangladesh, Egypt, Kenya, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria and Pakistan with additional locations opening soon.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests through direct equity, direct debt and funds products to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 485 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com