About the Job
The Program Director will ideally be based in Nairobi, Kenya and will work closely with the Foundation Executive Director and AlphaMundi Kenya team in supporting the rapid start-up of new programming. The Program Director will coordinate and work seamlessly between the AMG regional team in Nairobi and AMF staff in Washington. The Program Director might also be responsible for supporting the team in establishing a non-profit / NGO in Nairobi as we continue to expand the Foundation’s activities in East Africa. There is growth potential for this role to become an Executive Director of the newly established entity in Kenya.
We are looking for an independent, flexible problem-solver with a can-do attitude who takes ownership of issues and proactively proposes solutions to senior management. The ideal candidate is an entrepreneurial team player who can work in a fast-paced environment, is results oriented, has excellent attention to detail, generates new ideas and thrives on feedback. This individual has a demonstrated commitment to AlphaMundi Foundation’s mission and should be willing (and excited) to travel throughout the region to support our newest donor funded initiatives.
Specific responsibilities likely include but are not limited to:
- Project Management: Support the Executive Director in all aspects of the implementation of donor funded programs, this can include but is not limited to issuing requests for proposals for funding applications, co-creating project descriptions with enterprises, drafting subaward agreements and modifications, reviewing and tracking grantee reports and deliverables, monitoring project activities, and conducting site visits.
- Donor Compliance and Contracts Management: Ensure the Foundation, AlphaMundi Kenya, implementing partners, and subawardees, are compliant with donor requirements spanning financial and program reporting, document retention, audit preparation, and expenditure tracking.
- Monitoring & Evaluation: Identify, track, and verify program output and outcome indicators. Ensure adherence to donor approved M&E plans. Facilitate and ensure on time submission of regular donor results reporting. Liaise with social enterprises and project partners as appropriate.
- Donor Management and Reporting: Develop content, assemble inputs for and submit high quality annual and semi-annual donor required reports.
- Financial Planning & Administration: Coordinate with the AlphaMundi Director of Finance and ED to ensure donor financial compliance, including program expense tracking, financial forecasting, cash flow management, financial reporting, preparation of draw down requests, liaising with project accountants and preparation for donor project audits.
- Other duties as assigned: As a member of a lean team, it is expected that Program Director will willingly take on tasks to support the broader AlphaMundi Foundation.
Candidates must have the following qualifications:
- Strong aptitude for project and grants management with the ability to manage multiple workstreams simultaneously;
- Demonstrated track record of navigating complex donor compliance requirements, preferably with the German Government;
- 10-12+ years of experience with preference for candidates with 3+ years of grants management and/or bilateral donor compliance;
- Outstanding organizational skills including the ability to set priorities, develop work plans towards multiple goals, monitor progress and track details on information and activities, and be held accountable to the ED;
- Exceptional financial management and Excel skills;
- Excellent writing, communication, and presentation skills;
- Fluent in professional business English, with a command of local African languages as an added advantage; and
- Strong interpersonal skills with a good aptitude for pro-active communication and transparency, patience, and perseverance.
Preferences will be given to candidates who also have some of the following qualifications:
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (business, development, international relations, behavioural economics, etc.);
- Relevant experience in target sectors of agriculture, climate resilience, sustainable food systems, and/or renewable energy.
- Experience in international development, non-profit management, and/or impact investing; and
- Experience working with social enterprises in East Africa.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Applicant must be able to legally work in Nairobi.
To apply for this position please submit both a resume and cover letter indicating your relevant skills for this role as well as desired time commitment to Christine Roddy & Lisa Willems at email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with a candidate ideally starting as soon as December 2021.
Only candidates whose background fits the above profile will be contacted for a phone interview.
AlphaMundi Foundation is a 501c3 headquartered in Washington, DC, with a broad mission to catalyse and scale investment in social enterprises that seek to improve the lives of the poor. The Foundation was started in 2016 by AlphaMundi Group (AMG), an impact investing firm established in 2008 and headquartered in Switzerland, with additional offices in Nairobi, Bogota and Washington, DC. AMG invests in innovative early- and growth-stage businesses with high social and/or environmental impact through its impact debt fund SocialAlpha-Bastion and mezzanine fund AlphaJiri. Since 2009, AMG has invested more than USD 90M+ in 47 social businesses across 15 countries in Latin America and East Africa. AMG donates 20% of all annual profits to AlphaMundi Foundation.
AlphaMundi Foundation was established to amplify AMG’s work in impact measurement and technical assistance for social enterprises in target markets – driving towards Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) including, affordable and clean energy, decent work and economic growth, no poverty, reduced inequalities, and gender equality. While AMG invests across sectors, the Foundation focuses on gender lens investing, sustainable food and agriculture, renewable energy, and the energy / agriculture nexus in East Africa. The Foundation has three main pillars:
- Technical Assistance (TA): AlphaMundi’s TA often includes activities related to governance and management systems, financial planning and fundraising, and supply & distribution. The goal of TA is typically to build capacity in organizations to catalyse private sector investment and scale social enterprises nationally or internationally.
- Gender Lens Investment: AlphaMundi Foundation is a pioneer and thought leader on embedding gender lens investment across business and investment operations. We seek to embed gender equity principles into the DNA of social enterprises at an early stage, supporting companies as the grow and enhancing financial and social returns.
- Field Building: AlphaMundi Foundation is actively and openly contributing to the emergence of standardized practices that will help scale the impact investing industry.
AMF just closed on two new funding streams from the German government for work in East Africa and is currently recruiting a full time Program Director based in Nairobi, Kenya to support the Executive Director in the rapid start-up of these two new programs in the region.