About the Job
The Senior Associate will play a critical role in executing projects and managing clients, guide stakeholders through difficult yet important adaptations of their practices, and build rapport with clients by understanding their needs and adding value to their mission. The Senior Associate will support our partner governments, donors, and service providers at building the performance management systems and results based financing structures that increase their impact. In doing so, as the Senior Associate, you will gain expertise in developing RBF instruments, developing a thorough understanding of different design choices, independently assessing tradeoffs, making recommendations for our technical designs, and translating complex concepts into understandable insights. Within the team, the Senior Associate will work directly with our Managers, Partners, and Associate Partners to deliver high-quality services, and will eventually have the opportunity to lead teams.
The key responsibilities of the Senior Associate will include, but are not limited to:
- Leading and overseeing the development of technical components of RBF instruments, with a command of all dimensions of RBF, including economic concepts.
- Leading the creation of proposals and client deliverables, articulating technical concepts in an eloquent and accessible manner.
- Managing project budgets and contracts with clients and subcontractors, anticipating issues and proactively addressing them.
- Planning, delegating and overseeing tasks to achieve the most effective results within the team.
- Proposing, structuring, and overseeing data analyses to draw actionable insights/hypotheses.
- Preparing and delivering clear and effective presentations to stakeholders in the public and private sectors.
- Actively improving our RBF services and our delivery systems.
- Experience: At least 6 years of experience, including 4 years of relevant work experience in international development, strategy/management consulting and/or in the public sector.
- Education: Masters degree or equivalent in Economics, Statistics, Public Policy, Public Administration, Engineering, Business, or related fields.
- Language skills: Exceptional written and oral communication skills in English and Spanish.
- Proven track record in team, project, and stakeholders management.
- Ability to work well with people from different backgrounds and build trust.
- Exceptional strategic thinking, problem-solving, and structured thinking skills.
- Ability to develop complex analytical frameworks and have exceptional working proficiency of the most common analytical principles to give structure to the analysis.
Please apply here. You will be asked to submit a CV and Cover Letter in English. In your cover letter answer the following questions: (1) Why are you a good fit for this role? (2) What is your motivation to apply to Instiglio?
Instiglio is a fast-growing global and niche International Development advisory firm whose goal is to reshape expectations, raise performance standards, and maximize the impact of the development community. To do so, since our founding in 2012, we have pioneered novel Results-Based Financing (RBF) and Performance Management approaches in developing countries to ensure that every dollar invested in solutions to poverty has the greatest possible impact. Instiglio is helping to build a global results movement in major social sectors, including livelihoods, agriculture, education, health, employment, and governance.
During our journey, we have worked with a range of actors; including governments (e.g., Governments of Colombia, Peru, Morocco, and Egypt), multilateral development banks (e.g., World Bank, Inter-American Development Bank), development aid agencies (e.g., USAID, MCC, DFID, GAC, SECO), service providers (e.g., Educate Girls, Mercy Corps, World Vision), and private foundations (e.g., IKEA Foundation, UBS Optimus Foundation, Fundación Corona, Fundación Bancolombia).
Instiglio has successfully launched RBF projects in over 25 Latin American, African, and South Asian countries, totaling over $500 million tied to results. Particularly important milestones include the world’s first Development Impact Bond (education, India); the first Social Impact Bond launched in a middle-income country (workforce development, Colombia); the first Outcomes Fund (poverty graduation, Kenya and Uganda); and the launch of performance-based contracts with governments in Africa (employability, Morocco). Instiglio has also advised pioneer RBF transactions in the areas of agriculture and rural development in Colombia and Peru with the Canadian (GAC) and Swiss (SECO) development aid agencies, respectively. Furthermore, Instiglio has increasingly supported governments in strengthening their systems of delivery through multi-year reform processes.
We are a diverse team of 50+ people, representing 10+ nationalities, with offices in Colombia (HQ), Kenya, Morocco, Peru, and the USA. Our team of practitioners has extensive development and government experience, including previous roles in impact evaluation (e.g., J-PAL), development banks (e.g., World Bank), country governments (e.g., Rwanda Ministry of Finance, Colombia’s National Planning Department, Congress of Colombia), and research (e.g., Harvard’s Center for International Development).