About the Job
Aeris offers mature financial professionals the opportunity to use your financial analysis and credit skills for social good. We are seeking qualified candidates to join our team of experienced financial analysts. We provide rating reports on community development (CDFI) loan funds across the country that support impact investing.
- The impact management rating is an assessment of how well a CDFI pursues and achieves positive change related to its mission and impact goals.
- The financial rating assesses CDFI strength from the perspective of an unsecured investor with a 3- to 5-year investment horizon.
- Be assigned rating analyses of specific CDFIs.
- Analyze the most recent five years of financial information, including audits, portfolio performance reports, and Aeris standardized financial spreads, ratios, tables, and charts.
- Review written policies and narrative documents relating to impact, financial performance, and management, such as strategic plans, board minutes, and underwriting policies.
- Conduct one to two days of interviews with management and board members.
- Write the rating report, averaging 50 pages in length, including opinions on the significant strengths and weaknesses, descriptions of programs and processes, Aeris standardized tables and charts, and explanations for changes.
- Present the rating report and recommended rating to the Aeris rating committee.
Analysts are supported by an operations team that produces initial financial spreads, and a quality review team to ensure credit analysis and writing standards.
Aeris management and experienced analysts are rating committee members. You will have the opportunity to qualify as a rating committee member after completion of several rating analyses, based on management’s assessment of your skills and Aeris experience.
Your professional experience and skills should include
- Extensive experience underwriting financial institutions or structured funds for investment, including qualitative aspects of organizations.
- Sound judgement of financial strengths and weaknesses.
- Solid understanding of accounting concepts.
- Writing skills of publication quality.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Work well with rote processes, standard conventions, and project deadlines.
- Proficiency in MS Office Word and Excel; experience with SalesForce is a plus.
- Understanding issues, trends, and operations of CDFIs and other impact sectors is a plus.
Aeris analysts are mostly drawn from mid-career to semi-retired financial services professionals. No extraordinary physical requirements beyond ability to travel. ADA/EOE
Please send applications electronically to Helen Leung, Chief Operating Officer at Careers@AerisInsight.com
To be considered, applications must include:
- A cover letter stating how your interest and relevant experience fit this opportunity, and
- A full resume or CV.
Aeris Insight Inc.
A Short Introduction to Aeris
Aeris guides capital to good. We are a rating and information service in the impact investing field, which has grown into a $500 billion industry over the last decade. Impact investments aim to address some of the world’s most pressing social and environmental challenges as well as yield a financial return. Aeris provides ratings, analysis, information, and consulting services that bring accountability and transparency to impact investing.
Aeris was established in 2004, focusing first on rating private community development loan funds (CDFIs). These loan funds invest in women and minority-owned small businesses, commercial real estate, affordable housing, and community facilities in socially and economically challenged communities throughout the United States. In 2013, Aeris built a cloud-based platform to collect and manage impact and financial information on CDFIs to further support Aeris services and to provide impact investors with timely data.
More recently, Aeris began applying our knowledge, expertise, and tools to the broader impact investment world. Today, we are expanding the functionalities of our platform to offer impact fund managers a highly reliable SaaS product that supports the collection, management, and analysis of impact and financial performance data of their investments.