About the Job
TITLE: DIRECTOR OF STRATEGIC INITIATIVES
REPORTS TO: CEO
SUPERVISES: Social Impact Analyst
The Washington Area Community Investment Fund (Wacif) is seeking an ambitious, full-time Director of Strategic Initiatives, who will be responsible for developing and implementing strategic initiatives with Wacif’s leadership team to increase organizational effectiveness and community impact. Strategic initiatives include strategy formulation for the creation of new small business industry initiatives, products and services, development of new capitalization sources and methods, and leadership of interagency initiatives and stakeholder engagement to identify and respond to emerging needs and opportunities. This work will be done in collaboration with other members of Wacif’s leadership team and through active engagement with external partners.
The Director is an integral part of Wacif’s high performing and collaborative workplace environment/culture and is in alignment with Wacif’s core values: equity, inclusion, stewardship, and accountability.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Strategic Initiatives core duties encompass six primary areas of responsibilities:
Strategy Development, Insights, and Social Impact
- Lead strategy formulation by leveraging data and analysis, research, partnership and resource development with Wacif leadership on capital/investment, programs, and services for new small business initiatives with industry focus, geographically across the region, and on impacted communities;
- Manage and develop social impact staff; provide mentoring and coaching to support the professional development and to increase Wacif’s overall social impact/insight capacity.
- Lead coordination of strategic planning activities with the Board of Directors and staff, and assist the leadership team with the development of multi-year strategic and annual capitalization plans that identify and quantify grants, loans, and other capital sources for the organization;
- Direct and perform research needed to develop new approaches, programs, products and services that are responsive to emerging needs and opportunities;
- Lead development of impact framework and analysis with social impact team;
- Remain current on impact assessment methods and ideology;
- Collaborate with team members to produce materials that communicate our approach to impact assessment;
- Design and conduct other research (e.g., case studies) and produce reports of findings;
- Work with customer relationship management (CRM) system to maximize the efficiency in the data entry process, as well as make it as user friendly as possible;
Partnership, Coordination, and Stakeholder Engagement
- Collaborate with CEO and Development team to identify, cultivate and develop strategic partnerships and funding opportunities;
- Lead collaboration with the CEO, Wacif leadership, and external partners to identify new initiatives, product and service needs;
- Develop relationships with impact leaders at CDFIs and across the impact investment industry;
- Manage consultants, vendors, and contractors, as needed, to complete required research and development tasks;
- Assist the leadership and development/fundraising teams to produce compelling grant applications and secure investments and other funding related opportunities;
- Lead the effort to identify and create new partnerships to execute Wacif’s business activities and to support new business lines and initiatives;
- Collaborate with other organizations and identify opportunities on local and regional economic development policy issues, challenges and solutions;
- Coordinate joint programs with local, state, and/or federal agencies in which Wacif is formally engaged, has shared responsibility, or has a common interest;
- Lead public policy and government relations initiatives as directed by the CEO;
- Identify emerging policy issues, prepare and present position papers, and policy briefings for review;
- Light to moderate travel as needed; and,
- Other duties as assigned.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability insurance coverages available. 401(k) retirement plan (employer matching contribution eligible); paid time off (increased with tenure), paid holidays and sick leave days, transportation benefits, and education assistance benefits (professional development, tuition reimbursement, and student loan repayment).
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, business, a related field, or equivalent experience is required; Master’s degree in related fields preferred;
- A minimum of 5 years management experience including strong people management;
- Impressive leadership skills and the ability to convey clear direction and expectations;
- Seasoned leader with a passion for social impact investing, community development, and finance.
- Able to apply strategic and creative thinking, while being persistent, motivated and energetic, with the ability to work in detail-oriented fashion.
- Strong analytical, strategic and creative thinker, with excellent organizational, problem solving, and decision-making capabilities.
- Able to plan, schedule, and prioritize responsibilities, and work productively in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities while meeting firm deadlines;
- Ability to organize and schedule tasks in support of multiple projects with a wide range of production and monitoring requirements.
- Self-directed; able to work effectively with a high energy team, and external stakeholders, including funders, investors, government officials, small businesses, and community leaders.
- Must possess good judgment and exercise diplomacy in dealing with a variety of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated success in building and maintaining partnerships and initiatives.
- Strong working knowledge of small business financing programs, products, and services.
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication, writing and presentation skills.
- Ability to eloquently articulate Wacif’s mission and programs and show passion for the mission.
- Knowledge of the community development financial institution (CDFI) industry a plus.
- Excellent knowledge of the small business, impact investment, and economic development ecosystem of the Washington, DC metropolitan region a plus.
- Experience working with data, database, CRM, accounting, loan and/or portfolio software systems.
- Positive, has a sense of humor, and entrepreneurial spirit including ability to seek new and creative solutions to challenges.
Interested candidates should email a resume/CV, thoughtful cover letter that outlines how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, and salary requirements to email@example.com with “Director of Strategic Initiatives” in the subject line.
Wacif is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds. Wacif provides a flexible and hybrid working environment with the opportunity to work remotely.
Washington Area Community Investment Fund
Washington Area Community Investment Fund (Wacif) advances equity and opportunity in the Washington, D.C. area’s underserved communities by providing financial capital, business advisory services, and strategic networking support to underinvested entrepreneurs. Since its inception in 1987, Wacif has deployed more than $50 million in capital, served more than 3,500 entrepreneurs with business advisory services, and helped create or retain more than 20,000 local jobs. To learn more about Wacif’s work, visit www.wacif.org.