About the Job
Archipelago Eco Investors (AEI) is a London based alternative asset investment advisor. AEI have ambitious plans for a suit of related funds, and are currently in the process of developing a €100m Luxembourg based late stage venture Impact Investment Fund focussing on increasing the circularity of plastic use in our economy, Plastics Fund 1 (the Fund). The Fund will have impact through investing at the point of commercialisation into scalable technologies and infrastructure that can reduce plastic entering supply chains or bring plastic waste back into the circular economy whilst also providing a positive return to investors.
The Fund will focus on investment across the plastics economy:
- Reducing the amount of plastic entering our economy- ie, through designing plastic out of product or service design or alternative materials use, investing to support the manufacture and roll out of new materials and services at scale
- Using plastic entering the economy more efficiently- ie, through reuse models
- Managing the plastic that leaves our economy in a more circular manner- ie, through various end of life solutions, including new methods of non-mechanical recycling, investing to support the roll out of new large scale or modular recycling plant, and the scaling of these technologies through licensing or leasing models, as well as advanced AI sorting
AEI is building a team to execute the Fund's investment plan and are looking for motivated individuals with aligned values.
AEI is looking to hire an experienced Senior Investment Manager to start in Q4 2021/ Q1 2022, or potentially earlier. The role will report directly to the Partners, and will initially focus on leading a small team in managing the Fund's investment process. This process will include the responsibility for due diligence, deal structuring and evaluation, presentation of deals to the Investment Committee and supporting the senior members of the investment team. In future, the role will also expand to include post investment portfolio management, reporting, nurturing a growing team, origination and deal sourcing, and exits. The role may also evolve to allow for supporting the development of follow on Funds AEI may develop.
The role will offer exposure to a range of aspects of the investment management process in a young and growing environmental finance business. Surrounded by other committed individuals in a small team there will be an ability to learn, grow and expand professional horizons. With strong prospects to step up into more senior positions, the role offers excellent opportunities for career progression as the business grows. Critically, the role offers the right individual the opportunity to be at the cutting edge of Impact financing.
AEI is looking to establish a diverse team to bring a wide range of perspectives into the business.
Contributing to critical aspects of the transaction process and reporting to the Partners in the first instance:
Near Term - Focus will be on leading a small team managing investments into the Fund
- Leadership of a small team
- Responsibility for leading due diligence screening of investment opportunities, working with and directing third party service providers (legal, technical, ESG etc)
- Responsibility for financial analysis of underlying investment opportunity and modelling of investment terms
- Identification of and negotiating deal structures and terms
- Working alongside dedicated ESG/impact finance specialists support and building ESG reporting into transactions
- Responsibility for preparation and presentation of Investment Committee papers
- Developing and maintaining a high level of understanding of the themes that are fundamental to the fund's investment thesis
Medium Term - The role will expand to include aspects of portfolio management
- Responsibility for ongoing analysis of investment performance and preparation of reporting information to AIE's Investment Committee, and ultimately to investors
- Modelling of performance against KPIs
- Sitting on Boards of investee companies to support strategic business growth, but also to hold management to account in relation to performance and investment agreements
- Driving portfolio value creation through active portfolio management including guiding management teams on strategic decisions, HR matters, fundraise strategy, scale-up strategy, and potential M&A opportunities
- Implementation of post investment plan and integration of ESG and Impact policies and processes into investee companies
- Identify potential exit opportunities
Long Term - As the Fund matures, and as the business grows, the focus of the role may evolve further
- Identification, structuring and execution of potential divestment opportunities
- Preparation of divestment papers & IC presentations
- Support in the development of additional funds into the portfolio
- Experience of VC investing at Series A and B / growth in SMEs in UK/Europe is essential
- Transactional track record in either infrastructure / waste management / recycling / chemicals / plastics / FMCGs
- Track record of successful investment, board representation, portfolio company support, portfolio management and exits
- Passion for sustainability, technology and Impact investing
With minimum supervision:
- Ability to lead deals end to end
- Motivate & nurture a team in a small and dynamic team
- Closely manage and direct colleagues
- Due diligence management, financial modelling, commercial structuring
- Strong technical ability and excellent attention to detail
- Ability to understand and apply tailored ESG screens for investments
- Experience of governance and sitting on boards
- Adaptability and ability to apply investment skill across variety of sectors
- Excellent written and communicated English, allowing you the ability to write, present, and articulate flawlessly
- Other languages (German, Dutch, French) beneficial
- Right to work in the UK
At all times this role will require leadership and the ability to manage, motivate, direct and (critically) nurture a growing team of Impact investment professionals.
AEI is a co-female led business and aims to creating a diverse team and a supportive environment. We are particularly interested in receiving applications from those in groups currently under-represented in fund management, including (but not limited to) black, Asian and ethnic minorities, LGBT and women.
This is a great opportunity to join a pioneering impact investment firm in a key position within the firm. If this could be an opportunity you would be interested in then please reach out to George Roberts via firstname.lastname@example.org.