About the Job
World Wildlife Fund (WWF), one of the world's leading conservation organizations, seeks a Senior Communications Specialist, Oceans.
The Senior Communications Specialist leads the development and execution of communications strategies and plans to advance the WWF-US Ocean team's major initiatives and the organization's ocean conservation goals. This position plays a critical role in leading the Ocean team's communications efforts with internal and external audiences and implements defined projects. The work of the communications specialist is central to the overall success of the Oceans team's programmatic communications.
- In coordination with the Senior Director, strategy and communications, drives communications planning, including the development and execution of strategies and tactics in line with the Ocean team's key conservation priorities and overarching communications strategy.
- Leads the creation of digital content, presentations, publications, and other communications collateral. Supports the development of narrative building for the Oceans team and relevant projects.
- Serves as a knowledge manager with the responsibility of keeping current editorial calendars, databases, and content libraries.
- Liaises between the Ocean team and key internal stakeholders, including Marketing & Communications, Development, Public Sector Engagement, and Policy and Government Affairs.
- Responds to requests for information from and opportunities to collaborate with WWF colleagues, external partners, and the general public.
- Establishes expertise in select Ocean team programmatic areas to provide guidance on developing and reaching communications goals related to the programs.
- Tracks topics relevant to the Oceans team's conservation agenda and identifies and helps mitigate potential reputational issues.
- Supports the evaluation of communications activities.
- Provides strategic communications counsel and serves as an ambassador for the Oceans team internally and externally.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- 6 - 8 years of experience conceptualizing, developing, implementing, and managing communications strategies that support an entity's goals. Preferred Bachelor's degree in a relevant field (e.g., communications, journalism, conservation, or international development) or 3 - 5 years of experience with an advanced degree.
- Experience with mission-oriented strategic communications and success as a creative and effective communicator.
- Ability to manage complex communications issues and think strategically.
- Excellent program management and organizational skills and ability to work independently.
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills.
- Stellar copy-editing skills and familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style and Associated Press Stylebook standards.
- Familiarity with a variety of communications platforms.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Wordpress.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships in a complex environment.
- Committed to building and strengthening a culture of inclusion within and across teams.
- Identifies and aligns with WWF's core values: Courage, Integrity, Respect, and Collaboration:
Demonstrates courage by speaking up even when it is difficult, or unpopular.
Builds trust with colleagues by acting with integrity, owning mistakes, and holding oneself accountable.
Welcomes other points of view and ideas, recognizing and embracing different and contrary perspectives with kindness, curiosity, and encouragement.
Makes conscious efforts to promote cooperative practices, behaviors, and ways of working across many groups and individuals.
Submit cover letter and resume through our Careers Page, Requisition #22002
Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone
As an EOE/AA employer, WWF will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or protected Veteran status. WWF values diversity and inclusion and welcomes diverse candidates to apply.
WWF Washington, DC
World Wildlife Fund (WWF), one of the world's leading conservation organization, seeks a Plastic and Waste Senior Program Officer at our Washington, DC office.