About the Job
The Investment Officer will support the Investment Team in the following areas: 1) new business development, 2) investment execution – identification, analysis, due diligence, structuring, and disbursement of RFI investments 3) portfolio management – reporting, problem asset management, country risk analysis and 4) investment administration. The Investment Officer must have a solid knowledge foundation of emerging markets, particularly as relates to financial systems and regulations.
Responsibilities & Tasks
New Business Development –
- Assess RFI market dynamics, liaise with market participants to build pipeline and knowledge
- Perform screening and desk reviews of potential RFIs
- Attend conferences and forums to build awareness of MicroVest’s services and products
- Develop RFI pipeline that meets MV funds’ risk/return and impact profiles
Investment Execution – Quarterbacking the Investment Process
- Analyze financial statements of RFIs using spreadsheet and proprietary software, assess performance indicators including capital adequacy, asset quality, management and governance, earnings, and liquidity.
- Under the supervision of the Director of Investments, develop and negotiate proposed terms and conditions for debt investments in RFIs.
- Perform in-country and virtual due diligence for RFI investments
- Under supervision of the Manager of Credit Underwriting, prepare investment proposals for presentation to Investment Committee.
- Validate RFI’s commitment to social performance and impact
- Coordinate with internal legal counsel, local legal counsel, and RFIs to ensure that i) legal documentation of investments are executed according to approved terms, and ii) deals are closed swiftly and in accordance with * MicroVest’s investment disbursement procedures
Portfolio Management –
- In coordination with Portfolio Analysts, ensure timely RFI reporting and analysis of RFI performance metrics and trends
- Respond to client inquiries, including covenant waiver/amendment requests
- Prepare periodic written analyses of RFI performance and trends
- Maintain timely and accurate knowledge of country risk evolution, financial regulation and political developments, and macroeconomic trends which may impact RFI performance
- Represent MicroVest, in coordination with MicroVest’s legal, risk, and investment teams, during multi-lender workout situations as they arise
- Review and maintain investment files
- Support in the drafting of marketing material, including RFI social impact reports
MicroVest believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunity. We do not discriminate against our employees or applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual preference, physical handicap or medical condition. Equal employment opportunity will be extended to all persons in all aspects of the employer-employee relationship, including recruitment, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, discipline, layoff, recall and termination.
- Master’s degree with a concentration in Finance, Accounting or Economics
- Three to five years of relevant experience in finance, accounting or economics
- Financial Management and Investment Analysis skills
- Investment analysis skills and/or be credit-trained
- General understanding of financial institutions as a tool used in economic development
- Experience living and/or working in emerging markets
- Fluent in English and Spanish
- Project/Task Management experience (attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously)
- A demonstrated commitment to socially responsible initiatives
- Research and leadership skills
- Proficiency with Salesforce (CRM) and I-Level (portfolio management) systems
- Knowledge or familiarity with Latin American countries and markets
- Interest in working in emerging markets in other areas of the world as well
Microvest Capital Management
MicroVest is an SEC-registered asset manager that specializes in allocating private debt capital to Responsible Financial Institutions or “RFIs” in emerging and frontier markets. As one of the first U.S. based impact investors, we have built a 18-year track record investing in financial institutions whose interests are aligned with the borrowers and communities they serve, which generates social impact and financial returns for investors every year.