About the Job
The Associate will support Y Analytics’ impact assessments, data analysis and content development. Their primary responsibilities will include:
- Conducting impact-related diligence of potential impact investments and portfolio companies for The Rise Fund, Rise Climate, and across TPG investment platforms. Impact assessments are integral to TPG’s investment and portfolio management processes. This work requires a combination of desk research and data analysis to assess the risk, performance, and impact of a company through an environmental, social and governance lens. The Associate will play a key role in quantifying the potential impact of investments. An inquisitive mindset and the ability to think deeply, logically, and critically about nuances in impact are assets.
- Communicating with deal team professionals on live deals, with the rigor and turnaround times of private equity deal flow. The Associate will be expected to deliver high quality deliverables at a fast pace in line with TPG’s private equity diligence cycle. This requires strong attention to detail, balanced with the abilities to home in on what truly matters and maintain a pragmatic client service orientation.
- Other research and content development as needed. The Associate will play a cross-functional role and will help support the team as we continue to grow. Additional responsibilities may include: conducting deep dives and analysis related to a particular impact sector or research theme, driving a critical operational or organizational team function, etc.
- 1 to 3 years of full-time work experience. Ideal candidate will have 1-2 years of experience in consulting, financial services, research and analytics, or ESG/impact focused professional services
- Commitment to Y Analytics’ mission to improve the future of humanity and our planet through effective capital allocation for the greater good
- Strong strategic thinker and problem solver: must be able to navigate challenges (e.g., data gaps) with creative problem-solving ability and a can-do attitude
- Strong sense of ownership and self-direction: must be able to drive work forward independently, self-guide research and lines of inquiry for diligence efforts, and deliver high quality, highly polished outputs
- Exceptional written and verbal communication: must be able to synthesize findings from research and data analysis in presentations and written documents, and communicate these to senior leaders
- Exceptional quantitative analytics capabilities: must be able to quickly and accurately analyze company and third-party data and generate practical insights
- Highly collaborative: must be a strong team player who is effective in a teamwork-heavy, cross- functional environment
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Other Desirable Characteristics
- Positive and solutions-oriented attitude, with a drive for excellence
- Entrepreneurial nature; should be comfortable taking initiative to build beyond what is called for in a narrow action plan
- Commitment to fairness, ethical behavior, and listening to / valuing others’ opinions
- Awareness of and sensitivity to cultural differences; values diversity and its importance to an organization’s performance
- Sense of humility and humor
In lieu of a cover letter, please prepare a 1-page response to the prompt below. Please send your resume and response to Jobs@YAnalytics.org. Write in the subject line: “Last Name, First Name – Impact Associate Application”.
Application Prompt (please limit your response to a single page or less):
TPG is considering investing in a pharmaceutical company that produces an innovative life-saving drug.
- What are the top three impact pathways (i.e., pathways by which investment in the company could drive positive or negative social and environmental impact, relative to what would have occurred without the investment) you would explore for the company?
- For one of the impact pathways, briefly describe how you might quantify the impact, including what data points would be needed, what assumptions you would need to make, and what sources you would utilize.
- Imagine, in the course of your research, you find two empirical studies covering the same time period with conflicting findings. What would you do?
TPG is a leading global alternative asset firm founded in 1992 with approximately $85 billion of assets under management and 14 offices around the world. TPG's investment platforms area cross a wide range of asset classes, including private equity, growth equity, social impact, real estate, and public equity. Across these platforms TPG has over 280 companies within its portfolio such as Airbnb, Beautycounter, Calm, ipsy, McAfee, Philz Coffee, Spotify, Uber, and Viking Cruises.
Y Analytics mission is to increase the amount and effectiveness of capital allocation for the greater good, as described in the UN SDGs, by increasing trust in the social and environmental impact achieved by that capital. Y Analytics was launched in parallel to The Rise Fund and founded in partnership with TPG/Rise to provide best-in-class insights and tools that improve capital allocation decisions. Our rigorous approach to impact assessment and management draws on evidentiary academic and economic research, enabling greater use of evidence in capital allocation decision making and impact valuation. In addition to conducting impact valuation for the TPG Rise Funds, Y Analytics is also responsible for managing sustainability/ESG across TPG. We support TPG and its portfolio companies by assessing and advising on value creation through Environmental, Social, & Governance (ESG) performance.