About the Job
Do you have experience raising and managing mainstream commercial investments and want to transition to green finance?
Are you passionate about ecosystem and biodiversity conservation?
Do you want to join our globally leading sustainable land use finance team and work on some of the world’s most challenging and meaningful investments?
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity: Co-create and shape Natural Strategies’ emerging global investment fund as its Chief Investment Officer. Become part of the rapidly growing impact investing industry.
The fund will build on our strong track record and networks spanning from the UN to the private and finance sectors in 40+ countries.
Join us on our journey to build powerful solutions for nature protection!
As the most senior hire in the fund, the benefits package will consist of a base salary and a considerable percentage of the fund’s carry.
This is a remote work position so the successful candidate can work from any location with preference in Europe.
Natural Strategies is looking for a Chief Investment Officer for our emerging global investment fund on nature-based solutions. The candidate should be (i) senior-level with several years of experience working as a CIO; (ii) have a demonstrated track record of successful investments and fundraising as CIO; and (iii) be passionate about finance for ecosystem & biodiversity conservation and nature-based climate solutions.
This role is an excellent match for an individual who has accumulated deep expertise in managing mainstream commercial investment portfolios as a CIO and is now interested in transitioning to green finance to help accelerate solutions that can generate both ecological, social and financial returns. Previous experience on climate finance or green finance is not required.
About the company
Natural Strategies (www.naturalstrategies.com) is a globally leading consultancy in the area of financing nature-based solutions to climate change. Based in Germany and with one of the fastest-growing project pipelines on conservation finance worldwide, we currently work in 26 countries in Latin America, Europe, Asia and Africa. We help our clients mobilize finance for initiatives that preserve and restore nature and wildlife, contribute to sustainable land use and mitigate climate change. As a fast-growing and highly dedicated team, we seek to address some of the most pressing global challenges related to climate change, tropical forests and biodiversity. In doing so, we develop solutions where environmental conservation simultaneously leads to improved human well-being and economic opportunities.
Building on our strong track record and excellent networks spanning from the UN to the private and finance sectors, we are now building a dedicated new fund that will invest in sustainable land use projects that generate demonstrable financial and ecological returns: The Nature 4 Climate Fund. The assets generated by investee companies will include high quality and third party certified agricultural, agroforestry and forest products; transformative plant-based food products from the foodtech industry; and innovative environmental assets such as carbon credits and Payments for Ecosystem Services.
To optimise and de-risk investments in these assets, we will leverage our strong expertise of blending commercial capital from private sector investors with development capital from public or philanthropic sources. Combining the individual attributes of each asset with innovative and blended finance models generates a powerful solution for nature conservation and regeneration.
The position gives you the opportunity to work on the world’s most challenging and meaningful investments in a highly dynamic work environment.
As the Chief Investment Officer (CIO), you will have the opportunity to co-create and shape the fund right from the start. This includes refining the investment strategy during the current pre-launch phase; leading the fundraising; contributing to building our emerging pipeline of investees; leading the structuring of investments to make them investment-ready; guiding investment teams; post-investment, managing and monitoring all fund transactions; and overseeing & directing the investment portfolio. To do so, we are looking for an individual who already acquired best in class transactional and fundraising experience in private equity or venture capital funds as a CIO. This is an entrepreneurial role with the possibility of creating innovative solutions to combat climate change and biodiversity loss. The ideal candidate will have a hands-on attitude and be eager to engage in every aspect of the fund.
Terms of employment
As a team, we aim for a creative and flexible work environment. We encourage each team member to try new ways of doing things and to find individual modalities that work best for them.
In line with this, we are open to a range of contractual arrangements, e.g. remote work from any location with preference in Europe and flexible hours.
Jointly with the CEO and the Director, Global Pipeline & Business Development, the CIO will constitute the senior management team.
The CIO has overall responsibility for:
- Contribute to the investment strategy and approach to shape the pre-investment phase and strategic direction of the fund;
- Lead the fundraising efforts – we expect the CIO to contribute his/her investor prospects, identify additional independent and institutional investors and lead the corresponding fundraising.
- Contribute to and quality-control the global investment portfolio; assess and structure individual transactions towards investment-readiness;
- Engage with the Investment Analyst on environmental and social indicators of potential investments;
- Monitor transactions post investment; and
- Contribute to engaging with partners, investee companies and investors.
- Several years of experience working as a CIO and demonstrated track of successful investments and fundraising;
- 10+ years demonstrated fund management experience in the financial industry, ideally in private equity or venture capital funds at the international level. The fund will focus on Latin America, Asia, Africa and Europe, so experience in any of these regions will be an asset.
- A strong passion for mobilizing sustainable finance for ecosystem & biodiversity conservation and nature-based climate solutions.
- This is an emerging fund in the pre-investment stage that we seek to push towards launch within the next 12 months, so the successful candidate will have a strong entrepreneurial spirit, strong experience in fundraising, willingness to travel and ability to work self-driven, efficiently and independently in a start-up environment.
- Excellent analytical capability. The CIO will build a comprehensive and rigorous investment process, so data analysis, analytical skills and fast learning will be essential.
- Business understanding: The fund will make the case that there are strong business cases for forest - and biodiversity friendly economic activities in different regions of the world, so the successful candidate will have a deep understanding on how to build thriving businesses in developing and developed countries.
- In-depth experience in leading teams and in serving as the main contact for high-profile clients.
- Experience on (blended) climate finance, green finance or conservation finance is an asset, but not required.
- Spoken and written fluency in English. Spoken and written fluency in Spanish, Portuguese or French is a strong asset.
- Master’s degree, preferably in a related field such as finance, economics, MBA or CFA.
Your application needs to include: (i) An overview of your track record of investments and successful fundraising as a CIO; (ii) your CV; (iii) a brief statement outlining your suitability for the role.
Please send your application to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title “Application: Chief Investment Officer”. Important: Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Natural Strategies GmbH
Natural Strategies (www.naturalstrategies.com) is a globally leading consultancy in the area of financing nature-based solutions to climate change. Based in Germany and with one of the fastest growing project pipelines on conservation finance worldwide, we currently work in 26 countries in Latin America, Europe, Asia and Africa.