About the Job
Village Capital seeks a Vice President, Partnerships to lead the organization’s revenue generation, development, and fundraising efforts at a critical juncture in the organization’s history. Over the past three years, Village Capital has grown revenues ~20% year over year, expanded its global reach, broadened its support, and deepened its impact. In order to meet –or exceed– our aspirations of supporting 50,000 impactful entrepreneurs and catalyzing $10B of impact-oriented investment capital by 2030, we are looking for a senior-level talent to help us enhance and expand the revenue-generating capacity of the organization.
About the role
Village Capital is seeking a Vice President, Partnerships to expand and lead a global team in support of the organization’s mission and vision.
The Vice President, Partnerships will be a critical member of the management team, reporting to the Chief Growth Officer (CGO) and working closely with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and the Board. The position will be responsible for developing the Partnerships strategy and team, as well as leading major direct fundraising conversations and managing large and multi-regional anchor funders. The role will focus on increasing revenue generation across all funder segments in service of our work across the US, Latin America, Europe, Africa, the Middle East and South Asia.
The VP Partnerships will work in close collaboration with leadership across the organization, including:
- With the CEO and CGO, the Vice President, Partnerships will drive Village Capital’s engagement with philanthropic funders, corporate partners, and other key stakeholders.
- With the Chief Program Officers (CPOs) and Global Ventures regional and practice leads, the Vice President, Partnerships will shape Village Capital’s programmatic support and initiatives;
- With the CGO, Chief Operations Officer (COO) and Director, Finance, the Vice President, Partnerships will contribute to the financial sustainability of the organization.
The Vice President, Partnerships will be responsible for:
1. Designing and executing on revenue strategies
- Collaborating with the CEO, CGO, COO, and CPOs to inform and execute a multi-year vision for Village Capital, including overseeing the delivery of multi-year goals, strategies, and campaigns across the foundation, corporate, individual and public funding stream
- Continuing to develop high net worth individual and family fundraising initiatives, in collaboration with the CEO and CGO
- Working with CGO, COO, and other team leads to develop sales and fee-for-service opportunities for new business lines
- Collaborating with CGO and other team leads to identify white space opportunities for new business lines and growth
2. Managing and developing the Partnerships team
- Building and managing the three-person Partnerships team, including working with the CGO to add between two and three new team members as appropriate and ensure team development, performance, morale, and motivation
- Ensuring that the Partnerships staff work in a collaborative and supportive fashion with the rest of the organization.
- Providing team members with hands-on coaching, empathetic support, and regular/candid feedback within the context of team member development and organizational performance.
- Inspiring and developing team members to achieve goals and drive revenue in their respective areas of responsibility (i.e. geographic partnerships, systems development)
- Serving as the Partnerships team’s point person and liaison with the senior leadership team and, on occasion, the Board.
3. Sourcing, cultivating and stewarding partners
- Contributing in a substantive fashion to annual revenue generation targets
- Managing a portfolio of donors, including corporations, corporate foundations, institutional foundations, family offices, and high net worth individuals.
- Guiding significant relationships and programmatic revenue strategies, including multi-year, multi-region funding initiatives
- Supporting the CEO in cultivating new and stewarding existing external partners to invest in our work
- Collaborating with the CGO, CPOs, and program leads to plan and execute several small events in support of our fundraising and stewardship goals
- Representing Village Capital externally with a variety of audiences
4. Developing and maintaining cross-team coordination systems
- Ensuring the overall quality of pitch decks, concept notes, expressions of interest, grants, and other externally-facing marketing pieces that compel external audiences to invest in our work, as necessary
- Supporting the Partnerships team to effectively manage cross-team collaboration workflows and processes
- Supervising the effectiveness of internal Partnerships knowledge systems and platforms, including CRMs and other repositories
5. Serving as a key member of the management team
- Contributing to the overall direction and health of the organization
- Modeling and embodying company culture and organizational values
- Identifying key cross-team issues and proposing and implementing solutions as appropriate.
This position requires individuals to be located either in Washington, DC or New York.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent;
- Minimum of eight years of professional experience in increasingly senior fundraising or development roles, ideally with a US-registered nonprofit working with corporate funders;
- Proven record of developing and executing fundraising strategies aimed at securing funding from a diverse mix of corporations, individual donors, foundations, and government agencies, including success in soliciting and closing six- and seven-figure grants and gifts;
- Experience fundraising for international programs and working with international donors;
- Experience in building and managing a fundraising team, and mentoring and developing staff;
- Experience building and managing remote and distributed teams, ideally with a global footprint;
- Superlative written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Exceptional relationship management skills with a variety of stakeholders, including board members, individual donors, partners, senior management, media, staff, and others in the network;
- Phenomenal organizational, time, and resource management skills;
- Excellent cultural competency and fluency in navigating different communication and working styles;
- Demonstrated ability to build trusting and respectful relationships with colleagues and external stakeholders from different geographic, cultural, linguistic, and educational backgrounds.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills;
- Ability to work both independently and as a multi-disciplinary team leader, and take initiative with minimal guidance;
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally (public health circumstances permitting) for in-person donor engagement, live events, programming, and team activities, up to 30% of the time
- Familiarity with Salesforce and Google suite;
- Embodiment of Village Capital values.
Apply directly at https://vilcap.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=62&source=aWQ9MTM%3D
Are you passionate about how inclusive entrepreneurship can solve important problems in the world?
Village Capital, a grant-supported 501(c)(3), is the largest organization in the world supporting seed-stage, impact-driven startups. Since 2009, we’ve supported more than 1,200 entrepreneurs by tailoring programs to their needs and connecting them with investors that match their vision.