About the Job
ILX Management, one of the most exciting new initiatives in impact investing, is establishing a 1 billion USD private credit fund that will invest in development finance across emerging markets. Working on its first closing in H2 2021, ILX Management is looking for a Sustainability Manager to cover for a maternity leave. The position is a four-to-six-month full-time contract, starting in September 2021.
ILX has developed its 3-pillar approach Sustainability Strategy (Exclusions, ESG Safeguarding, SDG-focused Investments) and is seeking a candidate that will:
- Liaise closely with Development Impact, Strategy and Environmental and Social Departments of leading MDBs and DFIs (EBRD, IFC, IDB Invest, FMO, ADB, AfDB);
- Liaise with external stakeholders and initiatives on ESG and/or SDG-related impact with a view to harmonizing impact measurement;
- Engage with the Responsible Investment departments of ILX Fund I investors (Dutch Pension Funds) during and after the Investor Due Diligence process on Sustainability matters, by demonstrating and sharing knowledge on ILX Sustainability Strategy;
- If requested by investors:
- Optimize ILX’s Sustainability Framework, with a focus on how we best measure, monitor and report ESG and SDG-related results in line with Investor’s taxonomies
- Develop and implement the ESG and/or SDG-related management tools, systems and processes, delivering integral solutions
- When ILX reaches operational stage (after First Closing):
- Lead and coordinate the sustainability input on transaction screening and due diligence using our Exclusion, ESG and SDG policies and operational guidelines, to provide clear and compelling sustainability analyses for transaction documentation;
- Coordinate the work with the Sustainability Analyst;
- Communicate with the Fund’s Investment Managers and Investment Officers and signal potential issues in due time;
- Coordinate with other financing partners on ESG/SDG and reporting;
- Provide internal advice on Sustainability (Investment Team, Management Board, Investment Committee)
Qualifications & Experience
- Completed a master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. Economics, Finance, Environment, International Development, International Affairs and related fields)
- At least (5) years of international experience in impact investing, responsible investing, development impact or private sector development in emerging markets
- Experience in designing and implementing results frameworks for private sector investments in developing countries
- Experience in environmental and social risk analysis and impact measurement
- Familiarity with the ESG Safeguarding and Impact Methodologies of Multilateral Development Banks, DFIs and/or European Institutional Investors
- Fluent written and spoken English, plus one other language
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work independently, take initiative and be a self-starter
- Strong client focus, team player with collaborative positive attitude
- Flexible, positive, entrepreneurial, enthusiastic personality
We welcome people of all backgrounds, genders and orientations to apply to this position. Please send your resume, together with a motivation letter, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ILX Management B.V.
ILX Management is establishing ILX Fund I in H2 2021, a 1 billion USD private credit fund through which institutional investors, such as Dutch pension funds, will co-invest with Development Finance Institutions (DFIs), mainly IFI/MDBs in sustainable, high impact long-term loans in emerging markets and developing countries (EMDE). This SDG-targeted investment strategy will focus on global sectors and regions, primarily renewable energy, infrastructure and corporate sectors.
The UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) identify the need for USD trillions of additional annual funding for EMDEs and the need to mobilise long-term private sector capital. The ILX initiative will provide a well-diversified, scalable investment strategy, enabling institutional investors to participate in development finance, leveraging the existing DFI capacity.
ILX Management is led by Manfred Schepers, former Vice-President and CFO of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) and member of the European Fund for Strategic Investments Investment Committee. Cardano Development is an Amsterdam based multi-manager and incubator based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, with several fund management companies under its umbrella. Established as an incubator for emerging markets risk management initiatives, the company has extensive experience in successfully creating and managing innovative development finance initiatives.