About the Job
The Client Advisory Associate is a multi-faceted position supporting the Advisory team, which creates and implements impact investing strategies for clients, customized to their investment objectives and impact focus areas. The Associate will work closely with Impact Advisors and the Director of Advisory to serve clients, which includes:
- Creating strategic materials to help guide clients through their impact investment journeys (meeting materials, portfolio reports, implementation plans, etc.)
- Engaging in routine client communication, and meeting coordination / prep
- Drafting financial plans, asset allocation analyses, and investment recommendations
- Creating custom analyses (such as portfolio holdings, transition plans) to inform and execute strategies Coordinating with the Operations Team on client onboarding and investment implementation
The Client Advisory Associate will also provide support across the Advisory team. Examples include:
- Creating templates for the execution of analyses integral and streamlining processes across the team
- Aggregating news and other pertinent industry information
- Maintaining team calendars, updating knowledge and thought leadership databases
- Contributing to the development of tools and resources for both internal and external use
This position is largely focused on learning:
- The ins and outs of serving clients
- Honing technical skills and investment acumen
- Growing in understanding of financial planning and how the pieces fit together (investments, budgeting, taxes, estate planning, trust structures, risk management)
- Understanding the impact investing industry and the role Align plays in the ecosystem
- As much as possible; each individual at Align is committed to continuous improvement – at all levels.
Skills and Traits Necessary for Success:
- Strategic and creative thinking: The right candidate is results-driven with strong and innovative problem-solving skills. They proactively think ahead and work to connect the dots.
- Curiosity: The right candidate is not just a “doer”, but wants to understand the “why” – why each recommendation was made, how our systems and research support those recommendations, and how their work directly supports our clients.
- Strong time management skills: As an Advisory Associate, there will always be several balls in the air. The right candidate should be able to manage several projects at once with excellence.
- Attention to detail: This role involves working with critical financial data, so accuracy and attention to detail is paramount. It will also be important when coordinating across multiple calendars – internally and externally – as well as managing project plans and timelines.
- Emotional Intelligence: While required in any client facing role, this is even more of a “must-have” with the clients we serve - as there are often complex family dynamics, varying levels of investment and impact expertise amongst clients, and several other advisors and partners we collaborate with
- Communication skills: In this role, you will be communicating about investments across all asset classes, as well as nuanced social and environmental issues – any of which can be difficult to understand. You will need to synthesize complex information in a way clients can understand and connect to.
Our Core Values Finally, we believe that a successful candidate will embody and strongly believe our core values of:
- Equality: We work passionately to serve individuals of great wealth and those that live at the base of the pyramid. We strive for diversity, equity, and inclusion across our staff and for those that ultimately benefit from our services.
- Generosity and Humility: This spirit permits us to approach our work with genuine openness and allows us to be active listeners with our clients, colleagues and thought partners.
- Excellence: We work hard and smart, hold ourselves to a high professional standard, and pride ourselves on our responsive follow through. Going above-and-beyond is the norm.
- Teamwork: We know that we accomplish much more together than we could ever do alone. We trust our teammates, celebrate the wins together, and pick each other up when needed.
- Leadership: We each take the initiative and proactively engage in making this a world class organization and catalyzing the impact investing ecosystem.
- Bachelor’s degree required. MBA and / or progress towards a CFP, CFA, or CAIA preferred.
- 0-5 years of relevant experience in investments, wealth management, family office, impact, philanthropy. While impact investing experience would be a bonus, traditional financial planning and investing experience is welcome.
- Fluent in PPT/Keynote and Excel. Experience with SalesForce and investment reporting software preferred.
- General knowledge of financial industry and basic investment concepts
- You will be required to obtain your Series 65 upon joining the Align Impact team.
To apply, please send a cover letter, your CV, and a writing sample to email@example.com with the job title as the subject of the e-mail.
Launched in 2014, Align Impact is a female-led SEC registered independent advisor and certified B Corporation with $1.6 billion in assets under advisement. We specialize in creating and implementing impact investing strategies with private investors, nonprofits, and advisors to catalyze positive change across the world.
100% of what we do at Align is impact-focused. Align Impact was named one of the top 150 impactful companies in the Real Leaders Impact Awards alongside Tesla and Etsy. We are a unique, cohesive team intentionally assembled with diverse backgrounds (lived in 20+ countries, speak 11 languages and counting) and expertise across asset classes and impact sectors. We keep the pulse on the most innovative financing to solve global and local issues, and design investment portfolios for clients to address those issues and align their capital with their values, without sacrificing investment return.
We are built on the belief that the world should work for all of humanity’s 7.8 billion people and the planet – and we believe private capital plays an integral role in getting there.
You are a great fit for our team if you are a natural builder with exquisite relationship and communication skills, and you are able to wear many hats at the same time. You thrive in a highly collaborative environment and are passionate about the role of capital in solving the greatest issues of our time.
Sound like a good fit? We’d love to hear from you!