About the Job
The Global Investment Office (GIO), led by Wealth Management’s Chief Investment Officer, is a 170 person team of investment and research professionals dedicated to helping Morgan Stanley Wealth Management Financial Advisors with all manners of investment advice and implementation.
The Investing with Impact team, within the Global Investment Office, is responsible for leading the creation, development and execution of a comprehensive set of investment strategies, solutions, tools and reporting to deliver holistic wealth solutions for our individual and institutional clients that seek to generate both market-rate returns and positive environmental and social impact. Further, we provide high quality and consistent Advisor and client education and engagement, including a formal Advisor designation as well as an annual calendar of regular publications and periodic thematic reports.
The Impact Associate will primarily be responsible for strategic project management and conducting in-depth quantitative and qualitative research to support a suite of impact related analytics including impact reporting and impact product governance. Further, the Impact Associate will support the creation and maintenance of thought leadership and materials for individual and institutional investor audiences including drafting publications, written reports, audiocasts, conference calls and meetings.
This is a great opportunity for you to join the growing Investing with Impact team within Morgan Stanley Wealth Management to build on the Firm’s over decade-long commitment to sustainable and impact investing. We are looking for an exceptionally talented individual with a clear passion for using capital markets to scale solutions to global and domestic economic, environmental and social challenges. This individual is motivated, confident and collaborative. This is a fast-paced team that collaborates regularly with our Wealth Management colleagues and the Firm to deliver on multiple work streams at any given time. The successful candidate will be equally comfortable working proactively on a small team and navigating a global financial services firm. Attributes of a successful applicant include: strong quantitative and qualitative data analysis, exceptional business writing and organizational skills. Further, a curious mindset and someone who thrives on collaboration to drive successful outcomes for our clients will be important in this role.
- Conduct thorough quantitative analysis using financial and sustainability data to deliver data-enabled tools including portfolio and manager-level impact reporting
- Assist with proprietary portfolio-level impact analytics, Morgan Stanley Impact Quotient®, and associated Advisor training, field engagement and ongoing collateral development to enable Morgan Stanley IQ utilization
- Assist with development, review and quality assurance of third-party and proprietary data sets including impact manager surveys
- Research and write thematic content in areas such as climate solutions, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Faith-based investing for internal and external audiences – this includes thought leadership, publications, internal and client presentations and marketing collateral.
- Support the team in helping Financial Advisors and Institutional Consultants respond to their clients’ Investing with Impact needs by providing content across the full range of tools and thought leadership
- Engage with key partners including Investment Solutions, Technology, Marketing, Legal, Risk and Compliance
- Collaborate closely with other areas of the Firm including Global Sustainable Finance, the Institute for Sustainable Investing and the Office of Sustainability
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree, MBA or CFA strongly preferred, focus on sustainability a plus
- 3-5 years of work experience: finance or consulting
- Strong and efficient research capabilities including conducting quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Strong project management skills with ability to manage multiple deadlines and priorities – including short-term and long-term projects
- Experience with asset allocation, investment manager selection and portfolio risk management
- Familiarity with Environmental, Social, Governance (ESG) data and impact reporting frameworks and providers as well as Investing with Impact approaches (Restriction Screening, ESG-Integration, Thematic Solutions) and investment products across asset classes (public and private), geographies and impact themes
- Strong PC skills, especially PowerPoint and Excel; experience with financial market data sources (e.g. Bloomberg, Morningstar, Factset), portfolio optimizers (e.g. Barra) and statistical software packages a plus
- Detail-oriented with excellent writing and communication skills
- Persistence, tenacity and drive for results
- Series 7 and 63 strongly preferred
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries. As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.