About the Job
Obviam is hiring an operational ESG-Impact Senior Specialist to reinforce its ESG-Impact team. The new hire will be assigned to undertake the ESG-Impact due diligences and monitoring of investments and is expected to contribute to the development of Obviam’s ESG-Impact policies, routines and tools.
- Working with others to ensure that Obviam’s ESG and Impact requirements and its Responsible In-vestment and Impact Policies are applied;
- Lead ESG-Impact due diligences of potential transactions, including reviews of environmental and social assessments and audits, impact analyses, environmental and social management systems, impact management systems, corporate governance, client protection, information in the public domain and proprietary databases, as well as other supporting documentation;
- Identifying and implementing value-add actions to improve ESG performance and/or enhance impacts;
- Monitoring, including assessing ESG-Impact performance, monitoring of action plans and follow ups;
- Contributing to the further development of Obviam's ESG-related policies and systems;
- Drafting ESG-Impact related content for internal and external reports;
- Preparing ESG-Impact related material for client presentations, participating in IFI/DFI forums such as the EDFI E&S and Corporate Governance Working Groups; and
- Participating in E&S Sub-Committees of portfolio funds.
- Advanced university degree (MA, MSc or PhD) in a relevant discipline: preferably environmental sci-ence, or economics, development studies, development finance or similar field;
- At least five years' relevant work experience, preferably within development finance, environmental consulting/advisory services, banking or the investment industry;
- Demonstrated experience in working with the IFC Performance Standards and/or international corpo-rate governance standards and codes of best practices. Knowledge of certification schemes (e.g., ISO, HCAAP, and FSC), Corporate Governance Frameworks, Client Protection Principles, and Impact Frame-works and metrics;
- Demonstrated ability to lead ESG-Impact due diligences of development finance transactions.
- Experience in working with ESG issues as they apply to businesses, particularly Small and Medium Sized Enterprises (SMEs), SME Banks and/or Microfinance Institutions (MFIs), operating in emerging mar-kets, as well as the challenges associated with implementing international best practice ESG standards;
- Technical skills and experience in relation to one or more of the following: climate, biodiversity, waste and waste management, human rights, gender, resettlement, labour and working conditions (including occupational health and safety), and corporate governance;
- Willingness and ability to travel on behalf of Obviam outside of Switzerland (including on short notice);
- Ability to work in Switzerland without sponsorship; and
- Proficient in English.
Other selection criteria:
- Prior experience working in, or working on projects involving developing countries is an advantage;
- Intellectual curiosity;
- Highly motivated and results driven;
- Good analytical and reasoning skills and the ability to advance pragmatic solutions;
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills;
- Knowledge of MS Office Products, particularly Excel and Power Point;
- Enjoy working as part of a team, but able to work independently; and
- Conversational knowledge of at least one Swiss national language.
Entry date: early Q4 2021
Please send c.v. and motivation letter (combined into one PDF document) by e-mail to: email@example.com
Obviam is a Swiss impact investment firm. Obviam manages the investment and day-to-day business oper-ations of SIFEM, the Swiss government-owned Development Finance Institution. Obviam also manages investments for private clients including banks, foundations and high net-worth individuals. Obviam invests in private equity funds and private debt transactions in emerging and frontier markets.
Recognizing that Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) issues present risks and opportunities for companies, particularly those operating in emerging and frontier markets, Obviam integrates ESG matters in its investment operations in a manner that enhances its ability to achieve returns and impact. Accordingly, the ESG-Impact team actively participates in transaction teams pre- and post-investment.
Obviam is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.