About the Job
Morgan Stanley Investment Management (MSIM) is one of the largest global asset management organizations of any full-service securities firm, with more than 40 years of history, a presence in 23 countries, and a total of $1.4 trillion in assets under management as of March 31, 2021. MSIM strives to provide outstanding long-term investment performance, service and a comprehensive suite of investment management solutions to a diverse client base, which includes governments, institutions, corporations and individuals worldwide.
Morgan Stanley AIP – Private Markets (the Team), an investment team within MSIM, seeks to deliver innovative private markets solutions to a global client base across a variety of asset classes within private equity and related strategies. The Team is comprised of over 50 investment professionals based in suburban Philadelphia, New York, London and Hong Kong. Since 2014, the Team has developed a strong footprint in impact investing by deploying over $1bn in social and environmental impact strategies – with a particular focus on climate impact investments ranging from cleantech to sustainable agriculture.
The Team is seeking candidates with experience in defining, measuring and communicating impact in the context of private markets investing to be a part of our market-leading impact investing team. The Portfolio Specialist will be a senior member of the team (at the Vice President level) working closely with Portfolio Managers in a range of thought leadership, client engagement and impact communication roles including: engaging with clients, helping construct bespoke impact portfolios, supporting due diligence processes, defining & measuring impact at investment and portfolio levels, and designing & producing product marketing collateral. The position is based in London.
- Track and contribute to industry standards including impact management and measurement methodologies and frameworks
- Oversee impact underwriting in investments, form part of deal teams as necessary
- Provide education on impact management practices internally (for deal teams, new hires etc.)
- Help build intellectual capital in the form of white papers and measurement tools
- Design and coordinate delivery of annual impact report/s
Impact Design & Communication
- Lead engagement around impact product/solution design
- Prepare marketing suites for funds and solutions (including presentations, PPM, fact cards)
- Lead client reporting – including quarterly letters, investor update presentations & client deliverables
- Manage Requests for Proposals
- Manage client due diligence processes and collateral management
- Coordinate with internal sales partners and product development teams
- Direct, train and mentor junior staff
- Graduate degree or equivalent in environment-related discipline, or Bachelors degree in any discipline with the equivalent, relevant experience in climate related research and/or environmental impact investment management preferred
- Prior relevant experience
- Experience in defining and measuring impact for private equity funds, with a preference for climate impact investing and measurement
- FCA certified, or willingness to obtain within 6 months of hire
- Highly motivated self-starter with ability to collaborate across time zones
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional project management and execution skills with an ability to meet challenging deadlines while maintaining a high degree of quality and accuracy
- Strong understanding of private equity, responsible investing, impact investing, ESG and financial concepts
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents. Interested in flexible working opportunities? Morgan Stanley empowers employees to have greater freedom of choice through flexible working arrangements. Speak to our recruitment team to find out more. Given the continued spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), all interviews will be conducted by phone or virtual connection to protect our candidates and employees.
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives, and needs is an important part of our culture.