About the Job
Reporting to the VP Strategy & Innovation, the Assistant Vice President (AVP), Impact Measurement will be responsible for the measurement and analysis of American Student Assistance programs. Nearly four years into our journey, we’re relentlessly focused on getting to deep impact at scale with our work and are seeking an Impact Measurement professional to help us measure our progress in getting there, while concurrently shaping the field’s understanding of how to integrate measurement and evaluation into a design-led approach to problem solving. In this newly established role, the Assistant Vice President, Impact Measurement will create a center of excellence around impact management and build and manage a small team.
We created a Theory of Change and an evaluation framework to define and measure the impact of our past and current programs. Our next step is to work with our program teams, partners, and external evaluators to measure the effectiveness, outcomes, and impact of our work. The AVP, Impact Measurement will play a crucial role in developing and implementing the systems and tools that will identify and capture the depth and breadth of impact on the lives of young people through our direct to kid programs, education systems, investments, thought leadership and advocacy. She or he will be responsible for the collection, management, and analysis of ASA’s impact data (past and present) and will work closely with program teams, implementing partners, funding partners, and third-party evaluators. The AVP, Impact Measurement has deep knowledge and experience in impact measurement and evaluation and possesses experience in utilizing a broad range of both quantitative and qualitative tools and methods for analysis. He or she has an understanding of formal and informal learning and is excited to work with our teams to creatively develop new ways of collecting impact data and measuring the effectiveness of ASA at creating solutions that can have impact at scale. He or she is very self-directed, an active problem-solver, who is always seeking out the right resources and information to answer complex questions with both rigor and elegance. The AVP, Impact Measurement also has a keen eye for design and storytelling and is inspired by the opportunity to influence the engaging with ASA’s core demographic that we seek to impact.
Develop tools and processes that execute ASA’s impact framework within each program area, specifically for both quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis (experience in using web-analytics software and survey tools is essential).
Manage, coordinate, and execute the collection of impact data from ASA program teams, partner organizations, and stakeholders, providing support for timely, accurate, and consistent reporting.
Analyze, synthesize, and produce key insights that can easily inform multiple audiences across ASA—from key leadership (i.e. Leadership Team, Board Members) to our wide network of supporters via storytelling media and platforms.
Collaborate with ASA’s Partnerships, Programs, and Communications Teams to identify insights, strengthen evidence to inspire storytelling efforts, and cultivate relationships with key partners.
Engage with program teams to help them envision and embed creative methods for impact measurement into the solutions they are delivering to our partners at the prototype, pilot, and implementation phases.
Craft measurement frameworks that can be used for impact evaluations of our programs.
Serve as the main point of contact to shape external evaluations and ensure alignment on impact metrics and methods used for gathering data.
Influence the field’s understanding of how to integrate measurement and evaluation into a design-led approach through storytelling and by building practical tools that others can use in their work.
Drive experimentation around data collection and analysis through new methodologies and tools.
Work with our partners to shape how they collect and share data with us.
Manage and a develop a team of market research and measurement professionals towards a center of excellence.
- A minimum of 10 years of full-time work experience in research, measurement, and evaluation
- A Bachelor’s degree in Education, Economics, Mathematics, Communications or related field and ideally a masters or PhD in a related field
- Possess strong analytical, evaluation design, and methodological skills, and utilizes “right-fit” methods for a broad range of quantitative and qualitative approaches to communicate a rigorous, yet compelling story about ASA’s impact
- Experience in survey methodology and monitoring social or environmental outcomes in an education context
- Ability to facilitate the process of turning impact data into meaningful stories for the organization
- Excellent communication and writing skills, with a keen ability to synthesize and present complex data in a simple, compelling, meaningful way (ability to produce beautiful and top-notch data visualization is a plus)
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with impact measurement experience and a passion for working with youth-supporting organizations to grow and further innovate in an evolving field. The successful candidate will lead programs, partner across the organization and work collaboratively with a high-performance leadership team.
Specific requirements include
- Minimum of a BA, MA preferred
- At least 10 years of experience with three of those in a team management role
- Demonstrated success leading impact measurement initiatives and evaluating program models, and building a culture of excellence around impact measurement.
- Strong interpersonal skills: Ability to quickly establish a good rapport with all contacts. Ability to motivate others to accomplish objectives and build consensus. Must be able to work with all levels of the organization as well as with content contributors and organizational partners
- Experience having worked with a high-performance, collaborative, constructive peer group
- Strength in hiring, recruiting, managing, developing, coaching, and retaining individuals and teams, empowering them to elevate their levels of responsibility, span-of-control and performance.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills: Superior communication skills are mandatory. Must be able to communicate both verbally and in writing with all levels of management including senior leaders.
- Outstanding presentation and negotiation skills: superior success influencing up, down and across an organization; influencing without authority. Superior writing skills; including synthesizing multiple business priorities into coherent, relevant and impactful communications/presentations. Must be able to distill large amounts of information into easily digestible pieces for consumption and have a keen ability to adapt messages for audience relevance.
- Excellent organizational ability: Must be detail-oriented, process-driven, able to prioritize own work, set and meet deadlines, and manage multiple projects simultaneously. Must have the ability to handle a high volume of work in a short period of time and be able to organize and assimilate information across multiple business units in a succinct manner. Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment is crucial.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for American Student Assistance’s mission.
- Proficiency in modern data analytics tools such as Snowflake and GoogeAnalytics360 is required.
American Student Assistance
ASA’s mission is to help students know themselves, know their options, and make informed decisions to achieve their education and career goals. We fulfill our mission by providing tools and resources to students online, in classrooms, and through community-based organizations. We are committed to helping students:
- Explore education and career options starting in middle school
- Experiment through hands-on opportunities
- Execute a plan to meet their goals
ASA’s innovative programs and partnerships, combined with a robust research agenda and advocacy platform, enable us to provide meaningful impact to young people on a national scale.