About the Job
American Student Assistance (ASA.org), a non-profit organization on a mission to help students know themselves, know their options, and make informed decisions to achieve their education and career goals. We fulfill our mission by providing tools and resources to students online, in classrooms, and through community-based organizations. ASA has an immediate opening for an Investment Analyst on our growing Strategy team.
The Investment Manager will be responsible for leading ASA’s impact investment activities, managing and monitoring portfolio performance and partnerships. This high visibility role will implement and transform investing practices at ASA, including: Lead identification, due diligence and business advisory support to investee businesses, development of relationships in the sector, and monitoring and oversight of investments and partners. The successful candidate has experience in deal origination, financial analysis, capital structuring and portfolio management, preferably in a non-profit environment.
- Identify opportunities for investing, lending and partnerships. Develop and execute plans surrounding portfolio and sourcing strategies that seek to optimize educational interests and financial returns in support of ASA’s mission
- Perform robust investment analysis and market research
- Liaise with legal counsel, finance and other departments to complete and document compliance with sound diligence processes and procedures. Prepare professional investment materials for the CFO and the Investment Committee in support of proposed transactions. Evaluate proposed deal terms, negotiate where necessary and appropriate and translate to legal counsel, ASA finance, and the Investment Committee. Develop and document an effective and efficient deal sourcing approach
- Define and determine strategic and performance goals for the projects. Measure and track portfolio companies to ensure they meet impact and financial targets and reporting obligations
- Maintain oversight of portfolio performance to achieve performance targets and enable regular reporting to investors and Board of Directors. Establish/refine/document direction related to follow-on investment approach, targeted markets/populations being served, stage of entity, type of investment instrument, etc. Regularly evaluate investment strategy and direction and provide proposed improvements or adjustments as appropriate. Manage relationships with third party investment advisors.
- Supporting internal operational activities, including external marketing / reporting, management of investment pipeline CRM, financial and impact reporting activities for the impact investment portfolio.
- Monitor and analyze external market dynamics, assess trends, and develop actionable insights and recommendations to management, via understanding of the business model and the information available for analysis.
- Identifying impact investment prospects through research and networking at industry events, reviewing company presentations, performing due diligence on prospect companies, conducting market and competitive landscaping, and building financial and operating models.
- Regularly report findings to ASA Strategy team and Investment Committee in order to help inform priorities at ASA. Meaningfully engage with ASA’s Strategic leaders to establish, monitor and report on evaluation metrics. Work closely with finance staff to develop annual resource plans, responsibly consider resource allocation decisions within and to monitor/report on budget activity.
- Support ASA’s organizational communication efforts by proactively managing investment communications and providing supportive education-related or impact investment related content where appropriate or where requested.
A successful candidate will:
Possess an advanced degree or equivalent combination of education and experience with deep and relevant financial expertise, with related knowledge in investments (impact investing, strategy consulting, finance), 3-5 years experience.
- Proven ability to conduct financial analysis/due diligence, understanding a company’s growth levers, developing deal terms and advising operating leaders as well as portfolio construction, monitoring, reporting, etc.
- Possess analytical skills and an interest in financial markets, public policy and education
- Excellent skills in quantitative analysis and creative approach to structuring debt and equity investments
- Ability to be self-directed and a willingness to continuously learn and adapt
- Resourceful, proactive, able to prioritize and navigate in a fast-paced team-oriented environment
- Strong project management skills
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills, organizational ability, analytical skills, strong interpersonal skills, leadership skills, and technical savvy with a flexible work attitude
- An advanced understanding of education/non-profit landscape is strongly preferred
- Work from home due to COVID19 through the end of 2021; Ability to work in Boston office after is strongly preferred
American Student Assistance
ASA’s mission is to help students know themselves, know their options, and make informed decisions to achieve their education and career goals. We fulfill our mission by providing tools and resources to students online, in classrooms, and through community-based organizations. We are committed to helping students:
- Explore education and career options starting in middle school
- Experiment through hands-on opportunities
- Execute a plan to meet their goals
ASA’s innovative programs and partnerships, combined with a robust research agenda and advocacy platform, enable us to provide meaningful impact to young people on a national scale.