About the Job
In this next stage of growth, we are looking for a seasoned and dynamic leader who can design and maintain our financial infrastructure and provide meaningful input into our rapidly evolving organizational strategy. Our next Director of Finance:
- Is excited to design and manage the finances of a mission-driven organization that blends the best of private-sector innovation with social impact values
- Can help us prioritize and evaluate a broad set of new opportunities for revenue generation, joint ventures and mission impact as they arise
- Can ensure RISI and CORI are operating sustainably and effectively against core goals, and in compliance with our legal and tax requirements
- Has the insight and vision to shape RISI and CORI’s future goals and objectives
- The Director of Finance will report directly to the Executive Director and will also supervise a staff of one or two junior finance/accounting professionals.
- 7+ years of experience in finance, management/strategy consulting, accounting, or related field
- Strong preference for individuals with executive leadership experience, especially financial leadership experience for a complex, mission-oriented enterprise.
- CPA preferred, but not required
- Experience with social enterprises that bridge across nonprofit and for profit entities preferred
- Commitment to our mission of returning prosperity to rural places
- Strong financial expertise and analytical skills, especially with preparing financial models and reports across multiple entities
- Capacity to manage a wide set of priorities simultaneously
- Team management experience and an ability to direct and coach colleagues within a non-hierarchical organizational structure
Center on Rural Innovation
Rural Innovation Strategies, Inc. (RISI) and its sister organization the Center on Rural Innovation (CORI) work together as a fast-growing action-tank focused on closing the rural opportunity gap. Our mission is broad and ambitious: advancing economic prosperity in rural America through the creation of scalable entrepreneurship and tech job creation in a network of small towns and cities across the country.
We take a systems approach to addressing all aspects of this challenge, including strategy consulting that advances local innovation hubs and broadband infrastructure. With philanthropic resources, we deploy technology job training and placement, and elevate our network communities through film and national press. We also manage a $5 million seed capital investment fund that invests in early stage technology startups.
Since our founding in 2017 with a seed grant from Reid Hoffman (Founder of LinkedIn), we have been on an aggressive growth trajectory that was only accelerated by the COVID-19 pandemic. In the past year, we have nearly doubled in size, added new research capacity funded by national foundations and federal agencies, and completed data analytics and geospatial mapping services used by Fortune 100 companies. While based in Vermont, our organizations serve rural communities across the country. Today our Rural Innovation Network is comprised of 18 communities and we are are on a trajectory to grow the Network to 50 communities by the end of 2023.
Recognizing the diversity of rural communities, CORI and RISI have called for transformative action to address the tremendous disparities communities face and are actively working internally and externally to further transformation efforts including ensuring our network communities reflect the diversity of the country. Across the varied challenges, CORI and RISI partner with rural community leaders and employers to build capacity to develop digital economy ecosystems that are truly inclusive.