About the Job
Team and role overview CDC Group focuses on sectors that support significant employment creation across Africa and South Asia. All investment opportunities must have development impact potential in order to be considered. Our typical minimum investment is US$10 million. We are particularly interested in proven business platforms that have the potential to be scaled-up in harder geographies. There are 5 job levels – Associate, Executive, Manager, Director & Team Head.
The Debt – South Asia team supports CDC Group to invest debt into businesses directly, either solely, or by co-investing with other direct investors across South Asia.
Purpose The Executive will play the role of project manager and engine room on deal, reporting to the deal lead. Responsibilities include those for the broader debt team, from supporting the origination efforts of senior relationship managers, to the execution and monitoring of debt transactions across product sub-teams, including Corporate Debt, Energy Access & Efficiency, and Infrastructure Project Finance in South Asia.
Role responsibilities will also include research and strategy work, the initial assessment of new opportunities, credit analysis, due diligence, and portfolio management activities, as required, as well as liaising with other relevant transaction support teams (Legal, Environmental and Social, Business Integrity and Development Impact).
Due diligence, credit analysis and deal execution:
- Supporting senior members of the team working on new debt investment proposals.
- Completing discrete due diligence tasks such as company, industry, sector, and economic analysis.
- Support senior team members in the negotiations of termsheets, finance and project documents.
- Analysing financial models, including detailed analysis of input assumptions, outputs and conducting sensitivity analysis.
- Responsible for analysis, including sector / market analysis; company / borrower analysis (including credit analysis financials and financial modelling); macro- economic analysis.
- Perform all aspects of credit assessment and due diligence as part of a deal team, identify transactions risks and how these can be mitigated, and will take responsibility for deal completion related work, including conditions precedent.
- Reviewing legal documentation together with the internal legal team;
- Project management of key elements of the deal execution for co-lending deals;
- Manage in consultation with the deal lead, external due diligence work streams, such as model audit, technical, environmental & social and insurance due diligence;
- Support the deal lead in achieving tasks required towards financial close on deals.
- Support the head of the team in client relationship, certain team responsibilities and strategic work.
- Supporting role on the portfolio of existing loans, updating internal reporting systems and supervising junior staff where required.
- Responsibilities include, in respect of specific existing loans: reviewing company reports, monitoring compliance with covenants, flagging any potential credit issues, preparing and presenting monitoring papers for review by CDC’s investment committee.
Research and Strategy:
- Contributing to sector and country strategies; collecting market data including key structuring terms for investments in the region and other ad-hoc research and analytical activities relevant to CDC’s debt business.
- Keeping up-to-date deal-flow, deal management and portfolio monitoring databases for all transactions covered by the debt team.
- Analysing new debt investment propositions and contributing to the structuring of the transaction; preparing and presenting screening and final credit papers for new investments, as well as preparing and presenting monitoring papers for existing investments.
- Supporting the identification of new debt investments by developing/maintaining a network of relevant contacts, including with other development finance institutions
CDC’s Values We look for colleagues who are:
- Impact-led and commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of gender, age, educational background, national origin, ethnic origin, disability, sexual orientation and religion.
Background, skills, aptitude
- Must have relevant project finance (primarily lending to utility scale & open access renewable energy projects) and corporate debt experience in investment banking, corporate banking, consulting, credit rating agency or credit funds/NBFCs working on debt and structured credit transactions.
- University degree with a Master’s in finance, Economics, Corporate Finance, accounting degree or equivalent. CFA, ACA or MBA would be an additional advantage.
- Have demonstrable ability to analyse a Company’s financial statements and make commercial and credit assessments.
- Strong credit analysis and Excel financial modelling skills.
- Analytical, research and valuation skills, including the ability to analyse, sector data, economics and relevant political events.
- Project management skills for deal execution.
- Ability to work on multiple opportunities across products and sectors.
- Basic commercial insight into the challenges and issues that limited recourse businesses face.
- An understanding and active interest in investing in developing countries, with a willingness to travel.
- Evidence of relationship building and ability to develop a network of relevant external contacts, as well as internally across different teams.
- Good business communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work to deadlines and manage time effectively.
- Candidates should be strongly motivated by CDC’s development mission and ideally demonstrate some commitment to development or social goals through previous executive or non-executive activity
Please provide a cover letter with your application Role opened: 23/04/2021 Role closes: 20/05/2021 Salary: Competitive
CDC Group plc
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Founded 70 years ago, we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and Asia with the aim of supporting economic development. CDC has net assets of £6.4bn and a portfolio of £4.7 billion.
- In 2019 we committed over £1.66 billion of capital to business in Africa and Asia and are now invested in 1,200 businesses which directly employ over 875,000 workers and support many more.
- CDC is wholly owned by the UK government, who has committed a further £3.5bn of capital for CDC to deploy over the next two years. In 2020 we have expanded our presence in Africa and Asia by opening new offices. At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact. Primarily, CDC invests to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. CDC works with likeminded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 450 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation. ** Read more about us on our website "www.cdcgroup.com":https://www.cdcgroup.com/en/