About the Job
Our work has been likened to “CrossFit for the mind”: a mixture of policy analysis, strategy consulting, investment banking, and non-profit capacity building to provide end-end support in launching successful projects.
We are looking for a dynamic Project Leader to join our offices in Singapore. This role is a full-time position based in Singapore, with a target start date of July / August 2021. There will be a six-month initial probation period before confirmation.
Amongst your core responsibilities will be:
1. Leading and conducting engagements focused on tri-sector work:
- Researching gaps where social innovation can be of value
- Conducting due diligence on social sector service providers
- Conducting cost-benefit analysis and financial modeling
- Creating presentations to share analysis
- Facilitating negotiations with social impact funders
- Advocacy for projects and new models of cross-sector collaboration
2. Creating new opportunities:
- Analyzing unmet social needs and brainstorming new collaboration models to solve these
- Writing proposals to clients and funders to win new mandates
3. Supporting firm-building initiatives:
- Contributing to different aspects of creating a high performing startup
- Providing mentorship to team members
In addition, there will be opportunities to manage relationships with senior clients and represent the firm at thought leadership opportunities around the region.
Every day at Tri-Sector is different, but an example day could be that you may run a focus group discussion for a social service agency, draft slides for a webinar, lead due diligence for a potential funder, prepare a research note on a new topic for a client, and attend meetings with government agencies.
Successful Project Leaders will have demonstrated:
- Effective project management ability to design and oversee multiple complex workstreams to meet client needs
- Efficient time management skills to handle projects in a fast-paced setting
- Excellent ability to break down problems, structure research approaches, conduct analysis, and review deliverables
- Ability to communicate complex ideas to senior and working-level stakeholders from different sectors, and sensitively influence stakeholders from different sectors towards a cause
- Bias towards action, an entrepreneurial temperament and resourceful nature
- Passion for creating systems-level social change and tackling the root causes of social problems
- Deep care for the people we serve and for the team The following attributes would be a significant advantage:
- Over 2 years of experience working within or advocating to the Singapore government on social and/or healthcare issues
The following attributes would be an advantage:
- Prior project and client management experience, especially in delivering professional services engagements
- Econometric or statistical training, including proficiency in data analysis tools such as Stata, Matlab, R, or Python
- Prior social sector experience in Singapore
- Prior financial sector experience
Candidates with these skills and attributes will typically have had 4+ years of experience from backgrounds in the Singapore government, management consulting, or investment banking. However, we believe that there are a diversity of settings where these skills can be developed, and are open to considering candidates from different backgrounds. To us, what matters more is: what have you actually done, and what could you achieve with us if given the opportunity?
To apply, please submit your resume together with answers to the following questions in a short cover letter. Your resume should set out your educational background, work experience, skills, and work authorisation / citizenship status.
- What draws you to our work?
- What experience and skills do you bring to the table which can support our work in Singapore and the region?
- If you could choose one issue area to do a PFS project in, which would you choose and why?
- What 3 key obstacles do you see to creating the PFS project in your selected issue, and how would you mitigate or overcome these obstacles?
- Where did you see the job advertisement?
Our interviews generally span 3 rounds, including a phone interview, cases for you to have a sense of the work which we do, and a chance to meet members of the team to understand if we are a good mutual fit. Due to the high volume of applications, we regret that we will only be able to notify shortlisted candidates.
Candidates may submit their applications to email@example.com, subject line: [Project Leader – Singapore] [April 2021] [Your name]. Applications will be accepted until 9 May 2021 and be processed thereafter. Only submissions sent to this email address will be considered.
Tri Sector Associates is a non-profit social enterprise whose mission is to maximize the impact of social spending. We do so by helping governments, philanthropies and private funders across the Asia Pacific deploy a model called Pay For Success – a unique combination of data analytics, impact investing, and tri-sector collaboration that re-writes the book on how we enable effective social innovation.
The Pay For Success model rewards outcomes instead of inputs or outputs. Here’s how it works.
- First, private investors invest in a promising non-profit program.
- Next, the long-term outcomes of the program are rigorously measured by a third-party evaluator.
- Finally, if and only if the specified outcomes are achieved, then the government repays private funders their capital.
This delivers benefits to each sector: government only funds what works; non-profits have the chance to test new bottom-up solutions; and private funders deploy their capital in a catalytic fashion to stimulate change.
Our collaborators, Third Sector Capital Partners, Inc, are the leading US firm in launching Pay For Success projects, with over 40 engagements to date that are shifting hundreds of millions of dollars into evidence-driven feedback loops.
We are supported by leading venture philanthropists, the Singtel Future Makers accelerator program, the Philip Yeo Initiative, and the Economic Development Board. By combining the best of global IP and local knowledge, we aim to ignite a profound systems-change that will measurably improve the lives of those in need across the Asia Pacific.