About the Job
We are looking for a driven Analyst / Associate / Senior Associate to join our offices in Singapore. This role is a full-time position based in Singapore, with a target start date of July / August 2021. There will be a six-month initial probation period before confirmation.
Amongst your core responsibilities will be:
1. Supporting client engagements focused on tri-sector work: a. Quantitative and qualitative research on social issues, service gaps, and other areas where cross-sector models can add value b. Financial and economic modeling to estimate the impact of interventions to government and society c. Presentations, memos, and other forms of strategic communication to persuade stakeholders of recommendations d. Negotiations between multiple sectors and stakeholders to align on the terms of projects
2. Creating new opportunities: a. Understanding how to solve their most significant social impact challenges with the latest tools from impact investing and data analysis b. Scoping and writing proposals for client engagements
3. Supporting firm-building initiatives: a. Developing internal firm systems b. Refining firm intellectual property and marketing materials c. Assisting in board and funder relations
In addition, there will be opportunities to gain direct exposure to senior clients and represent the firm at thought leadership opportunities around the region. Every day at Tri-Sector is different, but an example day could be that you may prepare materials to run a focus group discussion for a social service agency together with a Project Leader, draft slides for presentation to potential upfront funders, review research reports to synthesize fresh insights, prepare a memo on a topic of interest for a client, and attend meetings with government agencies.
Successful applicants will have demonstrated:
- Excellent ability to break down problems, structure research approaches, gather data, and conduct analyses
- Efficient time management skills to handle multiple workstreams in a fast-paced setting
- Ability to communicate complex ideas to senior and working-level stakeholders from different sectors
- An entrepreneurial temperament and resourceful nature
- Driving passion for creating systems-level social change and tackling the root causes of social problems
- Deep care for the people we serve and for the team
The following attributes would be an advantage:
- Prior project and client management experience, especially in delivering professional services engagements
- Prior government or social sector experience in Singapore
- Econometric or statistical training, including proficiency in data analysis tools such as Stata, Matlab, R, or Python
- Business language skills in Mandarin, Cantonese, or Bahasa
The ideal applicant here would be a high calibre fresh graduate or top performer with 0 - 4 years of work experience.
To apply, please submit your resume together with answers to the following questions in a short cover letter. Your resume should set out your educational background, work experience, skills, and work authorisation / citizenship status.
- What draws you to our work?
- What experience and skills do you bring to the table which can support our work in Singapore and the region?
- If you could choose one issue area to do a PFS project in, which would you choose and why?
- What 3 key obstacles do you see to creating the PFS project in your selected issue, and how would you mitigate or overcome these obstacles?
- Where did you see the job advertisement?
Our interviews generally span 3 rounds, including a phone interview, cases for you to have a sense of the work which we do, and a chance to meet members of the team to understand if we are a good mutual fit. Due to the high volume of applications, we regret that we will only be able to notify shortlisted candidates.
Candidates may submit their applications to email@example.com, subject line: [Analyst/Associate/Senior Associate – Singapore] [April 2021] [Your name]. Applications will be accepted until 9 May 2021 and be processed thereafter. Only submissions sent to this email address will be considered.
Tri Sector Associates is a non-profit social enterprise whose mission is to maximize the impact of social spending. We do so by helping governments, philanthropies and private funders across the Asia Pacific deploy a model called Pay For Success – a unique combination of data analytics, impact investing, and tri-sector collaboration that re-writes the book on how we enable effective social innovation.
The Pay For Success model rewards outcomes instead of inputs or outputs. Here’s how it works.
- First, private investors invest in a promising non-profit program.
- Next, the long-term outcomes of the program are rigorously measured by a third-party evaluator.
- Finally, if and only if the specified outcomes are achieved, then the government repays private funders their capital.
This delivers benefits to each sector: government only funds what works; non-profits have the chance to test new bottom-up solutions; and private funders deploy their capital in a catalytic fashion to stimulate change.
Our collaborators, Third Sector Capital Partners, Inc, are the leading US firm in launching Pay For Success projects, with over 40 engagements to date that are shifting hundreds of millions of dollars into evidence-driven feedback loops.
We are supported by leading venture philanthropists, the Singtel Future Makers accelerator program, the Philip Yeo Initiative, and the Economic Development Board. By combining the best of global IP and local knowledge, we aim to ignite a profound systems-change that will measurably improve the lives of those in need across the Asia Pacific.