About the Job
JPMorgan Chase strives to be a catalyst for meaningful, positive and sustainable change in communities across the globe. JPMorgan Chase invests more than $300 million annually to create pathways to opportunity so that individuals have access to the knowledge, skills, resources, and capital they need to secure their futures and compete in the global economy. Our programs seek to address key drivers of economic inequality experienced by vulnerable populations around the globe through four key focus areas: Community Development, Jobs and Skills, Financial Capability, and Small Business. The Firm has also developed innovative Strategic Initiatives such as Women on the Move and Advancing Black Pathways.
The Corporate Responsibility (CR) Department develops goals, policies and initiatives that support the Firm's business strategies, reflect our values and support the communities where we do business. We believe that financial products, in addition to philanthropy, can serve as a sustainable force for good, generating not only financial return, but also positive social and environmental impact.
JPMorgan Chase is utilizing proprietary capital to build out a multi-asset impact investing and lending platform to support the Firm’s Philanthropic objectives and Strategic Initiatives. To date, the Impact Finance team has launched FlexLoans, a concessionary loan product primarily use for financial intermediaries, and JPMorgan Chase Impact Ventures, a direct venture capital strategy. We encourage candidates to consult
The team’s investment span multiple themes (Affordable Housing, Small Business, Financial Health, the Future of Work and Sustainability), and contribute to strategic Firm commitments such as the $30bn Path Forward, a commitment to advance racial equity.
Job Description and Responsibilities
The team is seeking an experienced lending professional who is eager to leverage their financial acumen to drive social and environmental good. To date, the team has offered the FlexLoan product primarily to Community Development Financial Institutions (“CDFIs”), whose geographic targets and missions align with the firm’s philanthropic objectives within its major markets. Loans are offered to such institutions on terms that are more flexible that the firm’s business units currently offer.
With the growth of the initiatives, the team needs additional support for CDFI lending, but is also pursuing diversification of the counterparties and geographies we extend credit to. The candidate will play a critical role to support continued expansion of the team’s transaction activity and build out this diversification effort: developing strategy and market landscaping, navigating internal approval processes, and working across the organization to source, structure, execute, and monitor transactions.
The team member will also support other cross-LOB efforts seeking to utilize capital to support strategic CR initiatives.
We are seeking a driven self-starter with a passion for and fluency in both traditional and mission-driven finance. The ideal candidate will be able to manage and execute the following responsibilities:
- Support development and implementation of expansion efforts of the FlexLoan product for Impact Finance
- Lead market scoping and assessment
- Develop materials to articulate product objectives, strategies, and implementation roadmap
- Liaise with senior partners across the organization to ensure seamless integration of investment activities
- Interface with partners on companion teams within the LOBs (i.e., Community Development Banking) to align offerings and partner where appropriate
- Lead execution of New Business Initiative Assessments (where required); obtaining necessary approvals for product implementation
- Drive transaction sourcing, evaluation, and portfolio management
- Serve as relationship manager and primary point of contact with prospective borrowers
- Lead due diligence and structuring process
- Prepare materials for, and lead presentations to, the Impact Finance Loan Committee
- Lead portfolio management processes for originated transactions, including periodic due diligence, reporting, and valuation updates; present to appropriate Valuation and Portfolio Management Forums
- Conduct impact assessments for each investment opportunity, partnering with colleagues in Global Philanthropy
- Support ongoing team needs related to business planning, impact reporting, marketing and communications efforts
- Market development and thought leadership
- Engage with non-profits and other key partners to advance market development and scaling
- Where required, represent JPMorgan Chase and the work of Corporate Responsibility at client events, conferences, industry convenings and other external events.
- A demonstrated passion for social enterprise, community development, development finance and/or impact investing
- 5-7 years of client-facing and transaction experience in community development banking, corporate finance, investment banking, or lending
- Ability to independently formulate business strategy, construct compelling narratives, and present to senior executives
- Strong presentation skills, able to present complex opportunities plainly and succinctly
- Unequivocal focus on risk management
- Entrepreneurial spirit and comfort with ambiguity
- Ability to navigate and influence a highly-matrixed organization
- Acts with urgency, initiative, and ownership to drive results
- Entrepreneurial spirit and comfort with ambiguity