About the Job
Are you graduating from your post-graduate studies and interested in joining an impact-focused investment firm working on the front lines of the fastest growing economies in Africa?
Do you have a passion for investing, international development, blended finance, economics and creating social value? Interested to learn how to source deals, diligence companies, build financial models, structure and negotiate terms, and unlock value in small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in Africa? Do you like working through challenging problems, rolling up your sleeves and getting into the details, designing and driving forward projects that have real impact, getting things done and celebrating wins?
Do you want to leverage your learnings and deepen your understanding of international finance? Would you like to spend time in emerging markets, experience new cultures and meet entrepreneurs and investors on the front liens of economic development?
If you answered yes to the above, this 6-month fellowship at RENEW is for you!
First, a bit more about RENEW:
- We have become one of the most active investment firms in Ethiopia, and our investor network has grown to become the largest North American-based angel group dedicated to SMEs in Africa.
- Our physical office is in Addis Ababa and we have remote staff in Canada, the U.S., Nigeria, Rwanda, Uganda and India.
- We have a deep belief that drives our work: we focus on opportunities in developing nations rather than on problems. We invest rather than providing handouts. We find promising businesses in Africa, connect them to investors around the world and grow them into world-class companies. We do this because we believe that many growing businesses together create the engine that lifts entire nations out of poverty.
- We have a track record of success, including exits, portfolio companies in multiple East-Africa countries, and a team based all over the globe, spanning three continents, all pursuing the same mission and goal: to find excellent companies, scale them, get our investors returns, and create thousands of jobs and significant social impact in the process.
What your experience will look like:
- You’ll be based out of our modern office located in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia working with our team of 20 in-country, and further with the management of our portfolio companies.
- Your program will consist of two parts: Part I is comprehensive; you’ll be onboarded, learn about RENEW and our investment practice and you’ll get a ton of insight into the impact investing industry in Africa. You’ll have projects to work on that will be focused on research, analysis and learning. Part II is focused; you’ll be placed within a portfolio company, working directly with management on projects related to helping the companies achieve its annual management plan. Both parts will be fast-paced, educational and hands-on.
We’ll make sure you get time to experience other attractions that Ethiopia has to offer including sight-seeing, cultural experiences, and tours!
What else you’ll get:
- A round-trip flight to Ethiopia
- Housing and daily transportation to and from the office and a modest stipend to cover living costs
- Priceless mentorship and coaching from RENEW’s managing partners, based in Ethiopia, and other senior members of the team
- Consideration for a permanent role with the company beyond the 6 months
Graduate of an accredited post-graduate program such as an MBA, MPA, MFin or MA in International Affairs. The preferred candidate has a passion for impact investing and international development and has a finance background.
Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing the job title in the subject line.
RENEW is an experienced facilitator of an innovative investment model that brings the development community, the host government, foreign investors, and local companies together around a shared goal: to grow the private sector in African economies while creating lasting change for its communities through job creation and positive social impact. RENEW’s model is a public-private-partnership that lowers the transaction costs which normally prevent foreign investments from flowing into SMEs in frontier markets. RENEW organizes and supports such medium-sized investments made by the Impact Angel Network (IAN), the largest U.S. based impact angel network for Africa. RENEW acts as the IAN’s in-country support team and provides consulting and investment services that span across all aspects of the investment process. RENEW’s model seeks to reduce the costs and risks foreign investors experience when investing in developing countries, and to increase the local awareness and strength of the business community in an effort to attract larger equity investments for its companies.