About the Job
Why this role?
Next Street’s Advisory practice is looking for a high-performing Managing Associate to lead strategy consulting engagements, work directly with and advise senior client executives, and manage and coach junior staff. In this role, you will have significant opportunity to help shape and drive Next Street’s next phase of growth. You will thrive in this role if you are passionate about small business and equitable development, enjoy client services and want to work in a nimble, entrepreneurial environment.
We will give you the opportunity to hone your leadership and executive relationship management skills at an accelerated trajectory. Your day-to-day work will be concentrated in three main areas: (1) client engagement (2) practice and firm management, and (3) business development. Join us and you will get exposure to some of the most complex economic and community development challenges in the country, while working alongside an extraordinary team and accelerating your career.
Your work will consist of:
Client Management & Delivery (70%)
- Manage 2-3 active project teams
- Develop project scope, in partnership with senior staff
- Develop and manage against project plans
- Serve as day-to-day point of contact for clients and senior staff
- Structure and guide qualitative and quantitative market, financial, and organizational analyses
- Develop high-quality and tailored client recommendations
- Present recommendations to and facilitate working sessions with senior client executives
- Oversee development of compelling client deliverables in PowerPoint, Word, and Excel
- Develop and manage long-term relationships with client executives
- Manage project profitability, and ensure effective use of firm resources
- Collaborate across offices, business lines and levels to leverage the Firm’s expertise to advance client solutions
Firm Management (20%)
- Lead codification and development of firm’s Advisory offerings
- Manage talent; responsible for performance management, coaching, and development for direct reports
- Support knowledge management and dissemination throughout the firm
- Participate in recruiting efforts, as needed
- Oversee special projects or take on other responsibilities, as needed
- Proactively partner with Programs and Capital teams to identify points of intersection and collaboration
Business Development (10%)
- Identify new business development opportunities with existing or new clients
- Support business development processes, including participating in pitch meetings and contributing to proposal development
- You have an MBA or relevant graduate degree and 5-7+ years’ work experience with a top-tier professional services firm, including background in financial services and/or strategy development
- You have experience 2+ years managing project teams, with demonstrated thought and client leadership
- Management Office (PMO) team or the equivalent for a large-scale consulting program
- You have a knack for details and can create order out of chaos
- You have never missed a deadline and find a good workplan satisfying
- You love client services
- You are a PowerPoint and Excel wizard and take pride in well-structured, high quality deliverables
- You have experience coaching junior staff
- You are motivated by mission and want to spend your days doing fulfilling work
- You are looking for opportunities to grow and accelerate your career
- You enjoy working with teams and believe diversity of thinking gets to better answers
- You are willing to challenge and be challenged, regardless of seniority
Why Next Street?
Want to work at the intersection of impact and business? Looking for a team with big ideas and bold ambitions? Interested in accelerating your career, and getting further faster by working at a scalable small business?
You have found your place – Next Street is a mission-driven, for-profit firm revolutionizing small business. We have audacious goals and we are looking for team members who can dream big with us. Next Street was founded in 2005 with the belief that small businesses are the engines of inclusive growth in underserved markets. This philosophy is at the core of everything that we do. Next Street revolutionizes how organizations – banks and other financial institutions (e.g., CDFIs, alternative lenders), foundations, corporations, government agencies, and business support centers – provide capital, customers and services to small businesses and entrepreneurs.
We serve as trusted advisors to some of the country’s most dynamic organizations. We create strategies and tools for public, private and social institutions to drive equitable small business growth across the US. We also directly serve hundreds of individual businesses every day through our own small business support centers.
We believe Next Street is a special place to work:
- We are a group of critical thinkers and problem solvers. We work hard to get our clients the right answer, because we are successful when our clients create more impact.
- We are motivated by mission. We keep small business at the heart of what we do, and agitate for equity and inclusion, day in and day out.
- We respect and challenge each other. Our teammates come from the best professional services and social sector organizations. We learn from each other constantly.
- We push ourselves to innovate. We must think creatively and expansively to solve tomorrow’s economic and community development challenges.
- We take pride in our work, strive for excellence and work with integrity. This is more than just a job to us.
- We believe in a better future for small business. Join Us.
Next Street is an anti-racist institution. Learn more about our commitment here: https://nextstreet.com/racial-equity/.
Next Street is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.