About the Job
We are looking to add an Investment Principal to the team with prior Impact Investing/Venture Capital experience. She/He will be a key member of the investment team and would report to multiple partners and would be involved in all aspects of the business.
- Lead the sourcing of investment opportunities, ensuring they remain within the Fund’s strategy and origination plan
- Work with the Partners to build a portfolio of impact led companies with gender lens
- Lead & support the fund raising process for Opes-LCEF and capital raising for the investee companies across Clean Energy, Sustainable Agriculture, Education/ Skilling, Mobility/ Transportation sectors
- Lead due diligence, coordinate transaction execution and closing
- Actively work with portfolio companies post-investment to create value, review financial statements & other reports, take board positions in portfolio companies when required etc
- Lead relationships with counterparties such as co-investors, legal counsels, external advisors.
- Analyzing metrics (financial, customer, impact, gender etc) and other tasks related to the evaluation of an investment. Financial statements & business model evaluation, build valuation models & Summarize findings in investment notes
- Design investment structures & instruments to suit different business models
- Prepare and communicate investment recommendations to be presented to the Investment Committee, actively participate in the IC activities
- Ensure adequate post-closing activities, including portfolio monitoring and reporting are maintained
- Contribute to the production of investment papers, presentations and other internal documents
- Benchmarking and do a deep dive of sector mapping. Lead creation of market/sector reports internally to support augmentation of knowledge bank within the Fund
- Provide analysis of sectors including key drivers, industry value chain, key players, transactions in the sector, country specific regulatory environment etc
- Lead the implementation of impact & gender framework within companies.
Key skills, competencies & qualifications
- Advanced Microsoft excel, word & powerpoint expertise
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills & Interpersonal skills
- Ability to apply sound business judgment and an analytical, pragmatic and creative approach to problem solving
- Driven, proactive & ability to take ownership
- 5-10 years of impact investing, venture capital, private equity, or investment banking work experience
- High level of integrity, motivation to ensure the highest standards of quality and productivity consistently maintained
- Ability to work with team members from multiple locations across the globe
- Leadership style: management by example, always fostering a collaborative culture amongst the team members, shareholders and stakeholders
Future growth opportunities:
The role provides great opportunity for growth within the team and managing multiple portfolio companies.
The role also provides the opportunity to be part of the initial team setting up a Fund, with huge learning. Potential growth opportunity to transition to subsequent Funds that Opes-LCEF may set up, enhance your experience & expertise by evaluating and investing in progressively larger deals with time.
We are looking for someone based in Nairobi, but there is flexibility to work remotely initially until there is more clarity and information on the Covid crisis.
Please send in the application with subject line ‘Job Application – Principal’ to firstname.lastname@example.org
Opes-LCEF is an impact investor that provides catalytic capital to early stage social enterprises in emerging markets. The entity currently has a portfolio of 17 Investments across 11 countries, 7 of which operate in East-Africa. The investor has over 15 years of impact investing experience and its investment strategy embeds gender lens investing practice.
In Africa specifically, through the Restart & Reimagine Funds, Opes-Lcef aims to accelerate the efforts towards a new economy with new models of thinking. As part of our East Africa strategy, our first step is the creation of the Restart Fund that will provide capital to impact enterprises affected by Covid-19. We look at investments through a Gender Lens & an Impact lens