About the Job
AlphaMundi is looking to hire a Senior Investment Manager (SIM). He or she will report to AlphaMundi’s Managing Director in Nairobi. The Senior Investment Manager will be responsible for maximizing the commercial and impact potential of our investments. He or she will be responsible for the entire lifecycle of the investment process, including: sourcing and screening investee candidates, conducting due diligence, deal structuring and negotiation, deal execution (including presenting to and seeking approval from the Investment Committee), and monitoring of portfolio companies. He or she will be responsible for developing relationships with local entrepreneurs and representing AlphaMundi in the African business community.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead Sourcing: Find investable, innovative social businesses that require capital for further growth. Attend industry conferences and build and maintain a network of local players including fellow debt providers, private equity funds, and consultants for deal origination.
- Due Diligence: Conduct commercial due diligence of potential investee companies including corresponding country, market, industry, sector, competitor, business plan and financial analysis. Conduct a comprehensive risk assessment associated with any given investment opportunity and propose measures to mitigate those risks. Prepare a detailed investment proposal and present opportunity to the investment committee.
- Transaction Execution: Structure and negotiate deals via debt, equity and mezzanine instruments, tailored to the need of the local SMEs.
- Portfolio Management: Develop strong business relationships with entrepreneurs, monitor growth and risks associated with portfolio companies and their operating environment closely, identify follow-on investment opportunities (both for the fund and co-investors), and proactively provide support to management.
- Reporting: Conduct quarterly and annual investment evaluation process and fulfil all associated reporting requirements.
- Fund management: assist in managing fund cash flow projections, monitoring fund transactions, making capital calls, and fulfilling KYC requirements.
- Tasks big and small: from representing AlphaMundi on the Board of Directors of investee companies to supporting with administrative tasks, the candidate will be expected to roll up his/her sleeves and dive in as needed.
- 8+ years of experience investing in small or medium enterprises (SMEs), with a proven track record in deal execution (less experienced candidates may also be considered).
- A bachelor’s or equivalent degree in Economics, Business Administration or related subject.
- MBA, accounting certification, or CFA is an added advantage.
- A flexible problem solver with a can-do attitude who takes ownership of issues.
- Experience in private equity or venture capital, vetting and negotiating equity investments, is a strong advantage.
- Exceptional candidates from investment banking or advisory consulting may also be considered.
- Demonstrated commitment to AlphaMundi’s mission and impact investing.
- Strong financial acumen including accounting, valuation skills, and Excel modelling.
- Solid analytical and critical thinking skills: including the ability to frame issues, identify key points, draw conclusions, and exercise good judgement.
- Excellent writing, communication and presentations skills; fluent in English, with a command of local African languages an added advantage.
- Willingness to travel throughout Africa.
- Familiarity with our primary sectors is an added advantage: agriculture, food, and renewable energy sectors.
- Entrepreneurial team-player who: can work long and flexible hours; feels comfortable in a fast paced environment where priorities can change rapidly; possesses strong networking skills; is open to feedback and new ideas; is results-oriented; has an eye for detail; and embodies a high degree of responsibility and accountability.
- A sense of humor.
To apply for this position, please submit both a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please provide a resume and cover letter. Title the documents “SIM_lastname_firstname_resume” and “SIM_lastname_firstname_cover_letter”. Please also provide 3 referrals, as well as full contact details, including your mobile phone number and Skype ID.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible. Only candidates whose background fits the above profile will be contacted for a phone interview.
AlphaMundi is a global for-profit firm, established in 2007, dedicated to impact investing, i.e., profitable investments that generate substantial net benefits to society. Since 2009, AlphaMundi has invested USD 64M in approximately 50 innovative social businesses across Latin America and Africa.
AlphaMundi has been investing in East Africa since 2012 through its impact debt fund SocialAlpha-Bastion. In 2019 we launched a second impact fund named AlphaJiri, focused exclusively on Africa, with a mandate to invest via a combination of debt, equity and mezzanine instruments. AlphaMundi currently manages a portfolio of 13 companies in East Africa, primarily in the renewable energy, food, and agriculture sectors, and intends to expand its regional presence throughout Sub-Saharan Africa in the coming years.
The funds mentioned above work closely with AlphaMundi’s non-profit foundation to provide technical assistance (including capacity building and impact measurement) to pipeline and portfolio companies.
Our Nairobi office opened in 2015 and currently consists of 5 full-time investment professionals. In order to meet the demands associated with our increasing investment activities in the region, AlphaMundi plans to hire an additional investment professional in Nairobi. The title will be either Investment Manager or Investment Associate, depending on the candidate’s level of experience.