About the Job
Florida Community Loan Fund is seeking an experienced Community Development Loan Officer to promote FCLF in the Central Florida area. Successful candidates will identify potential projects to benefit primarily not-for-profit enterprises, which would be funded by loans facilitated through FCLF.
This Position Will:
- Engage in and build relationships in the local community to create or expand a presence for FCLF. Develop and nurture relationships with nonprofit borrowers and potential borrowers, community leaders, funders, developers, and nonprofit entity leaders associated with development projects planned or underway within the community. Promote the potential strategies for utilizing FCLF financing to achieve community development objectives.
- Develop a lending pipeline as a priority by identifying projects which would meet the lending criteria of FCLF. Also, identify potential projects for the New Markets Tax Credit (NMTC) program or other specialized lending programs in which FCLF participates.
- Obtain, underwrite, and analyze loan applications for commercial loans to support community/economic development projects based on criteria established for each program and loan policies within each program. Perform due diligence, site inspections, appraisal review, financial statement and pro-forma credit analysis, and credit evaluations of potential borrowers. Prepare credit memos and supporting documentation and present loans for review or approval to the Chief Lending Officer and/or Chief Executive Officer; or Lending Committee.
- Draft and coordinate with the FCLF portfolio administration staff and Chief Lending Officer to issue commitment letters and to facilitate loan closings and monitor loan advances and disbursements.
- Monitor borrower relationships for borrower needs or difficulties. Increase, extend, modify and restructure loans as needed. Mitigate loan portfolio risk through coordination of post-closing technical assistance, extensions, restructurings and work-outs.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly Lending Committee material by contributing to reporting. Participate in periodic portfolio evaluations including presentation of recommendations for loan grades. Assist in the preparation of periodic written reports regarding the status of loan request and applications.
- Partner with technical assistance providers to deliver training services to prepare potential borrowers for the borrowing process.
- Participate in workshop, marketing and promotional activities and materials development for FCLF. Make workshop presentations and participate in forums which inform the public and special audiences about the opportunities for borrowers offered by FCLF.
- BS degree in Finance, Business or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in the commercial/community development/real estate lending, public finance and/or multifamily development fields is required. Multiple sector experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to source, evaluate and underwrite commercial lending projects, preferably in the community/economic development field.
- Knowledge of and experience in community development financial analysis; other underwriting experience is preferred.
- Ability and experience in delivering services consultatively to diverse constituencies required.
- Experience working in low-income communities.
- Outstanding communication skills, both spoken and written.
- Maturity, initiative, and flexibility required.
- Ability to work independently and coordinate with others located across the state.
- IT skills and the ability to quickly adapt to software.
- Analytical / quantitative analysis skills.
- Qualitative analysis and creative thinking skills.
- Organizational skills.
- Self-motivation skills.
- Research skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines and cope with pressure.
Please submit your resume via e-mail to email@example.com along with a cover letter which specifically outlines your experience in the following:
- Your experience in commercial banking and/or nonprofit lending
- Number of years and position(s) held
Applications without a cover letter containing the above information will not be considered. No phone calls please.
Florida Community Loan Fund, Inc
Florida Community Loan Fund (FCLF) is a nonprofit lending institution providing capital and expertise to make projects successful and help organizations improve lives and low-income communities throughout the Sunshine State. Established in 1994, FCLF operates statewide from a network of offices in Orlando, Tampa, Melbourne, Sarasota, and Fort Lauderdale. FCLF financing has helped more than 200 organizations succeed in their projects, providing over 580,000 Floridians annually with housing or social services through 375+ lending transactions to projects totaling over $1.21 billion. FCLF became Florida’s first certified statewide Community Development Financial Institution in 1996 and has been certified as a Community Development Entity since 2004.
Currently, FCLF has $98 million in total assets, a staff of 17, and an operating budget of $6 million. It has a growing loan portfolio of $82 million and has closed $288 million in New Markets Tax Credit investments. FCLF Strategic Plan emphasizes significant growth over the next 4 years and we are adding staff now to keep pace with this growth.