About the Job
Position: Investment Director
Department: WIT, LLC
Reporting To: Managing Director
Location: Washington DC
Walton Enterprises is seeking a qualified Investment Director to join the Walton Investment Team, reporting to the Managing Director of Impact Investing. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing leadership to a growing investment office managing family investments and foundations, with a focus on a range of private and public investments creating social impact. This person will be able to source, analyze, and execute investments across asset classes, such as venture capital, private equity, debt, real estate, and infrastructure investments, as well as public markets instruments.
About the Team
Walton Investment Team is a dynamic and growing team that specializes in managing family investments and foundations. Our talented team is based in Washington, DC and collaborates with colleagues in offices around the country. We work cohesively as a team to develop and implement scalable investment strategies for our clients. We are seeking to expand and grow our team with skillful and qualified talent.
What you will do
- Help to lead the research and decision-making process behind investments, asset allocation and overall portfolio structure
- Help to lead the development and presentation of scalable, multi-asset class investment strategies in sectors of interest, which include mitigating the climate challenge through innovation in sustainable energy, agriculture, and food, and education and workforce development, among others
- Identify high-quality, proprietary investment prospects aligned with the family’s investment priorities and strategies.
- Implement and oversee the quantitative and qualitative analysis of investment opportunities, including financial modeling, company analysis, market and competitive analysis, analysis of investment merits and concerns, management benchmarking, evaluation of company and investment structure, and returns analysis
- Produce written and presentation materials to communicate the above investment analysis to our Executive Principals
- Obtain third party analyses—external consultants, tax, legal etc.—and Executive Principal approvals required to execute investments
- Implement and oversee ongoing monitoring and oversight of existing investments, including analyzing financial information received, responding to follow-on capital raises and other corporate actions, and exiting investments
- Review financial and ESG performance of existing private and public fund managers, and evaluate new managers
- Lead the development of a range of client deliverables
Who we are looking for
You possess superior strategic, communications, and analytical skills and a proven ability to be an effective team leader. You will need self-direction and decisiveness combined with flexibility and a capacity to give and receive feedback graciously. This is a great opportunity for someone looking to assume a leadership role in a high growth operation with commitment to impact investing. The ideal candidate will be someone who is a proven leader at an investment bank, investment fund, family office, or management consulting company with a minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience within the field.
Qualifications required for your success
- 10 or more years of relevant work experience in investments—preferably at an investment bank, commercial bank, consulting firm, investment fund, or family office—including 6+ years of leading investments, due diligence processes, managing portfolio companies and supervising junior analysts
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint skills
Personal attributes that support your success
- Unquestionable ethics and integrity
- Attention to detail
- Intellectual curiosity and agility
- Knowledge of private investment due diligence processes
- Strong critical thinking, analytical, problem solving, and project management skills
- Interest and drive to mentor and develop both subordinates and peers
- Demonstrated leadership capacity – ability to develop and socialize new strategies and investment theses, and then execute against them successfully
- Strong capacity to collaborate with diverse teams in multiple geographic locations, as well as with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments, and multi-task
- Strong communication skills—able to articulate ideas, communicate tactfully, and give and receive feedback
- Adaptability to a rapidly changing environment, including reprioritization or reassignment of responsibilities
- Interest in and / or experience with both private and public investments, capital markets or related quantitative fields
- Superior relationship and client management skills
- Demonstrated track record in impact investing, with experience in growth equity in climate-oriented investment sectors preferred
After an initial screening interview with a member of our HR team, qualified candidates will be invited to a subsequent interview (s) with team leadership, and then advance (on a rolling basis until the position is filled) to complete a take-home case study designed to assess the degree to which they meet the basic qualifications for the role. Finalists will present their case study analysis to the hiring investment team.
About Walton Enterprises, Inc.
Walton Enterprises supports the personal, philanthropic and business activity for the Walton family. We are a family-led organization, supporting multiple generations of Sam & Helen Walton’s family.
WIT, LLC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment of any kind. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.