About the Job
About GCI’s Mission Investment Portfolio:
GCI was set-up with a distinct vision that all assets of the organization (whether philanthropic, below-market, or market-rate) are ultimately to be managed in pursuit of the long-term vision of the organization. With this goal in mind, GCI continues to build a pioneering and cutting-edge mission-related and program-related investing portfolio with investments across asset classes (venture funds, direct equity and debt, alternatives real assets, and guarantees) closely aligned with the mission and impact objectives of the organization. GCI has already committed $30 Mn towards its mission and program investments and this allocation is expected to substantially grow in the coming years as the organization fulfills its goal of investing ALL its assets back into the community by 2035.
We are looking for an experienced investment professional with a strong commitment to GCI’s mission to join our team as the Mission Investment Manager. The person will have an opportunity to play a significant role in shaping and executing GCI’s mission-related and program-related investment strategy, actively source and manage investments across asset classes, and represent the organization both internally and externally as a representative of GCI’s mission investing work. This is a full-time position located in Denver, Colorado. The Mission Investment Manager will report to the Vice President of Impact Investing, and also work closely with the Chief Financial Officer.
- Deal Structuring and Investment Management*
- Directly or in support of other members of the team, conduct due-diligence, deal structuring, and negotiation of term sheets, write investment recommendations, closing, investment management and exits
- Review financial models, business plans and historical performance to help GCI make informed, analytically thorough investment decisions
- Actively source new investment opportunities aligned closely with GCI’s mission and values
- Develop and manage relationships with intermediaries, partners, and investment advisors to expand mission-aligned deal flow and co-funding opportunities
Strategy and Coordination
- Play a central role in continuing to evolve GCI’s mission-related and program-related investing strategy. Support in fine-tuning the strategy and our community approach to internal and external stakeholders
- Work closely and establish strong partnerships with other GCI teams, including program leaders to co-create investment opportunities
- Support the CFO in cash-flow planning, financial projections, and allocation modelling.
Managing the Investment Practice
- Organize GCI’s mission and program investment pipeline. Coordinate pipeline review meetings with other members of the team
- Ensure that GCI’s Investment Policy Statement is up to date
- Monitor quarterly and annual financial reports from GCI’s portfolio of direct and fund investments. Help organize quarterly portfolio review meetings to assess and evaluate performance
- Working closely with GCI impact management team to help measure and report the impact of our mission and program investment portfolio.
- Maintain consistent lines of communication with GCI’s portfolio of funds and direct investments and explore opportunities to provide strategic support and technical assistance
- Help strengthen GCI’s technical assistance platform with a goal of bringing best-in-class innovations and solutions to improve the lives of low-income families in Colorado
- 5+ years of buy or sell-side experience working in a PE/VC Fund, investment bank, advisory firm, asset manager, foundation investment team, or an impact investing fund
- MBA or an advanced degree in Business, Finance, or related fields
- Exceptional technical and financial skills and strong analytical ability
- Strong transaction experience across various asset classes. Experience in leveraging a wide-range of tools across the capital stack and structuring complex investments will be a plus
- Solid team player who is able to acknowledge, respect, and value the diverse lived experiences of other GCI team members as well as our network of partners
- Demonstrated commitment for impact and GCI’s mission
- Relentless passion and commitment toward diversity and equity, together with a deep personal understanding of issues of structural inequality.
Please submit a (a) resume and (b) deal list when filling out the application here: . Cover letter preferred, but not required. Gary Community Investment Company is a proud Certified B Corporation and Benefit Corporation. The Company is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity and encourages diverse candidates to apply.
Gary Community Investments
Gary Community Investments, which includes The Piton Foundation, invests in for-profit and philanthropic solutions for Colorado’s low-income children and their families. We believe that business and philanthropy can—and should—work together to create opportunities for those who need it most. Gary Community Investments (GCI) is committed to investing in quality early childhood and youth development systems, expanding sustainable economic opportunities, and developing and supporting programs that create healthy family and community environments.