About the Job
Based in our Boston headquarters, this position is ideal for candidates who want to apply their accounting and finance expertise in a mission-based setting, focused on innovation and impact.
Working closely with the Assistant Controller, the Accountant is responsible for assisting in all aspects of the administration of our fund, social impact bonds (“SIBs”) and career impact bonds (“CIBs”). This position will be a critical part of a small finance team.
This role is ideal for an individual who thrives on being strategic and forward-looking, while also shrewdly focused on managing the details and ensuring the highest quality of work. Responsibilities will include:
Deal Operations and Administration
- Capital calls – Work with internal team to prepare investor capital call notices
- Distributions – Work with third party administrator in the preparation of investor distribution calculations and notices
- Accounts payable – manage all aspects of A/P, including capturing all invoices to the fund, SIBs and CIBs, implementing authorization protocols and working with third party administrator to ensure timely payment
- Interact with third party administrator as needed to ensure open communication, collaboration and to maintain a successful working relationship
- Quarter end close – assist in completing quarter-end close procedures including:
- Reviewing all cash transactions and reconciling bank accounts
- Prepare quarter end balance sheet reconciliation schedules for balance sheet accounts
- Review quarterly financial statements
- Assist in preparing quarter-end financial reports and analyses
- Presentation of financials to internal stakeholders
- Assist Assistant Controller in managing the year-end audit process for 6+ stand-alone audits
- Develop and maintain liquidity forecast for fund, CIBs and SIBs
- Work with Assistant Controller to maintain Deal Operations project management system
- Work with Assistant Controller and VP of Finance to document all accounting processes and procedures with demonstration of GAAP compliance for all
- Work with Assistant Controller and VP of Finance to achieve all finance department goals.
- Participate in other finance projects as needed
- Assist with implementing and maintaining internal controls and formalized processes
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
Social Finance is seeking a dynamic individual with strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills to join its growing finance team. Qualifications and requirements include:
- Accounting, business or related postsecondary credential
- At least 2-3 years of related accounting work experience or demonstration of knowledge and abilities
- Partnership and fund accounting experience is necessary
- Understanding of U.S. GAAP and internal controls
- Proficient with MS Word and Excel; experience with Sage Intacct accounting software a plus
- Solid analytical and technical skills, as well as oral and written communication skills
- Ability to operate in an unstructured but demanding environment which requires constant management of multiple lines of business with constant deliverables
- Demonstrable track record of high performance; high level of independence and motivation
- Ability to work within deadlines, work independently with minimal supervision and be proactive in managing their responsibilities
- Ability to handle complex and confidential information with discretion
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. To apply, please send an application packet with a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject line: Communications Associate Director). Review of applications will begin immediately. No phone calls please.
Social Finance, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of actual or perceived race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, creed, disability, marital status, citizenship, ancestry, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political affiliation, military status, status as a protected veteran, genetic information or any other legally protected status.
Social Finance Inc.
About Social Finance
Social Finance is a nonprofit dedicated to mobilizing capital to drive social progress. We bring uncommon partners—governments, investors, and nonprofits— together around a common purpose: to measurably improve the lives of those most in need. We employ a set of financing strategies called Pay for Success to strengthen the link between payment and results —driving funding toward programs that work.
Social Finance partners with governments, nonprofits, foundations, impact investors, and financial institutions to create innovative financing solutions that improve social outcomes nationwide. Our work addresses pressing social challenges in the following areas: Education, Children and Families, Workforce, Criminal Justice, Health, and Homelessness. Our Advisory Services, Social Investment, and Active Performance Management teams support all phases of work for Pay for Success projects, from development through implementation and measurement. We also build the Pay for Success field through market education, publications, events, research, and analysis.