About the Job
Convergence is headquartered in Toronto with a presence in Washington DC, Nairobi, and Manila. We are currently seeking a Manager/Senior Associate, Market Acceleration & Design Funding in Toronto, or in Manila, Philippines. The job level and title will be dependent on the qualifications and experience of the successful applicant.
This role will report to the Manager, Market Acceleration & Design Funding, and will support in executing Convergence’s market acceleration and design funding work and contributing to the overall growth of an innovative start-up in the development finance space. The Manager will lead one or more market acceleration/design funding programs end-to-end and support all other team activities and programs.
The responsibilities below reflect a hire at the Manager level and would be adjusted for a Senior Associate hire.
- Manage incoming funding applications and manage applicant communications
- Lead review funding applications by performing initial assessment of applications, hosting review meetings with senior management and conducting desk research on shortlisted applications
- Provide feedback to applicants on draft application proposals
- Recommend to senior management the proposals to be shortlisted for further due diligence
- Conduct due diligence on shortlisted proposals
- Lead recommendations to Funding Committee and action on committee decisions
- Structure & negotiate terms, conditions, and milestones of funding agreements
- Prepare documents for final Board approval
- Report key metrics and results of the program to funders
- Develop strong relationships with grantees and provide technical guidance & advice
- Lead pipeline development for new applications (e.g., marketing funding window opportunities, identifying organizations to engage with and encouraging applications)
- Lead development of funding award announcements, including press releases and other communication materials
- Lead development of case studies/knowledge briefs to disseminate learnings from the program
This is an illustrative list and programmatic activities may vary from program-to-program.
Engagement / Fundraising:
- Represent Convergence at industry events and conferences
- Support management team in fundraising and discussions with prospective donors (e.g., development agencies, foundations)
- Support (and in some cases, lead) development of fundraising proposals to potential funders
In addition to the responsibilities above, the scope will evolve over time to match the needs of a growing start-up.
Candidate should be open to flexible working hours to facilitate engagement across time zones. Occasional travel may be required.
We are looking for candidates with 6+ years of experience (4+ for the Senior Associate) in some combination of finance, investment/corporate banking, impact investing, deal experience, or grant making. The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, economics, international development, or a related field
- Previous experience, preferably transactional experience, in finance, investment/corporate banking, impact investing, or grant making, that demonstrates understanding of advanced finance concepts and deal management skills
- Demonstrated strengths in analytical capabilities (quantitative and qualitative); and detail-oriented project management
- Self-starter with excellent interpersonal skills & communication skills; ability to present information in an insightful and structured manner (especially written)
- Able to work in a small entrepreneurial team environment as a collaborative partner
- Client & relationship management experience with senior leaders preferred
- Demonstrated interest in development finance and developing countries
- Foreign language skills are a plus
Interested and qualified applicants should send a single PDF document containing a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, with Manager/Senior Associate, Market Acceleration & Design Funding in the subject line. We are looking to hire quickly and will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis; the application deadline is September 30, 2020. Please note that due to the high volume of applications, we will only contact applicants selected for an interview.
Convergence is the global network for blended finance. We generate blended finance data, intelligence, and deal flow to increase private sector investment in developing countries. Blended finance is the use of catalytic public or philanthropic capital to increase private sector investment in places that need it most. Convergence’s global membership includes public, private, and philanthropic investors as well as sponsors of transactions and funds. Members include institutions such as MacArthur Foundation, FinDev Canada, the Nature Conservancy, and Credit Suisse. Convergence offers its members a curated, online platform to connect with each other on blended finance transactions in progress, as well as exclusive access to original market intelligence and knowledge products such as case studies, reports, training, and webinars. To accelerate advances in the field, Convergence provides grants through its Design Funding program, for the design of blended finance vehicles that could attract private capital at scale to sustainable development, and other market acceleration services.