About the Job
YY Foundation is looking for a Freelance Project Manager, m/f/d (10-25 h weekly fluctuating workload) for a period of approx. 3 years, starting as of September 2020, preferably based in Nairobi.
The YY Foundation is a not-for-profit organization founded in 2012 in Wiesbaden, Germany with the main purpose of creating a fairer and more social world through promoting social business worldwide. We believe that social business is the most efficient tool to tackle poverty, inequality and climate change. Therefore, YYF’s mission is to spread the awareness of social business by organizing events and workshops, speaking at conferences and bringing social business into universities as well as working with partners providing financing and advice to social businesses worldwide.
We are currently implementing a project on promoting social business in East Africa to address youth unemployment and environmental issues in East Africa, together with three implementing partners, namely, the Grameen Creative Lab, the Yunus Centre and Yunus Social Business. For this project we are looking for a part time project manager to perform the following tasks:
- Develop and manage a detailed project schedule and work plan, including milestones, activity plan and expense reporting
- Develop and lead project management set up (activities, milestone management, reporting on deliverables…) and keep all stakeholders updated on the project progress
- Work closely with key implementing partners to facilitate stakeholder alignment and coordinate all local/international project stakeholders and co-operation partners to enable the flawless execution of the project
- Track project performance, specifically to analyze the successful completion of short and long-term targets as well as create and maintain comprehensive project documentation
- Coordinate and lead alignment meetings with the three implementing partners and support communication efforts
- Coordinate and draft reports including budgetary reporting
- Meet budgetary objectives and make adjustments to project constraints based on financial analysis
- Engage and coordinate local service providers and partners (media agencies, universities…)
- Min. 5 years experience as project manager or freelancer in either:
- social impact
- social entrepreneurship
- entrepreneur support programs
- ecosystem building
- or non-profit sector
- Experience seeing projects through the full life cycle and proven ability to complete projects according to outlined scope, budget, and timeline
- Extensive local or East-Africa wide network in the SME/SGB sector as well as business hubs at universities
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multitasking skills
- Fluency in English
- Occasional domestic and international travel may be required
- Proficiency with MS office suite
- Additional experience in managing media and production agencies would be a plus
- Independent working style and self-starter
- Valid work permit for Uganda or Kenya
Please send your CV and cover letter (one PDF) as soon as possible to email@example.com, including the key words “Project Manager” in the subject line.
Tell us about how you match up to the characteristics we are looking for and why you would be a great candidate.
Please also let us know your earliest start date and your compensation expectations. Feel free to share work and portfolio examples.
Interview will be held on a rolling basis. We look forward to hearing from you!
Contact: Flora Drozak
Yunus Social Business
Yunus Social Business is a non-profit venture fund. We believe that business can be used to solve human problems. We turn donations into investments in social businesses that provide employment, education, healthcare, clean water and clean energy to over nine million people worldwide.
Co-founded by Nobel Peace Laureate Muhammad Yunus, our mission is to promote social business as a sustainable alternative to long-term aid, bridging the gap between business and philanthropy.
Our social business venture fund covers 7 regions and our in-country teams run regular workshops and social business accelerators for local entrepreneurs. We invest in promising social businesses providing them with patient finance as well as long term business support.