About the Job
With over 35 years of experience, NFF is a recognized leader in providing financing and expert advice to mission-driven organizations facing strategic opportunities, changes, or challenges. The Financial Services team at Nonprofit Finance Fund (NFF) is seeking an Intern.
The Financial Services Intern will support the deployment of capital to nonprofits by working with NFF's business development, underwriting, portfolio management, and operations teams to make loans that support our nonprofit clients. The internship will focus on underwriting loans to support a range of organizations, especially those that have been impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic. The Financial Services Intern may also assist in other lending work and general research and analysis as needed.
This full-time internship is available immediately and is expected to run through August 2020. Exact start and end dates are flexible.
In light of the pandemic, NFF offices are closed until further notice and staff are working remotely. As such, the Financial Services Intern will work remotely for the summer, using video conference, phone, and email to communicate with team members and external parties.
The Financial Services Intern will report to the Director of Underwriting.Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Underwrite new loans for organizations, especially those impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic, including a detailed credit memo that outlines the loan request, management capacity, financial health, and assessment of repayment risk.
- Spread multiple years of borrower financials in Excel and complete a financial analysis of each borrower's historical financial performance and operating budget.
- Conduct a phone interview with each borrower's Executive Director and/or Chief Financial Officer or equivalent.
- Complete a risk rating for each borrower based on NFF's risk rating matrix.
- Maintain updated loan and borrower information in NFF's Salesforce database.
- Support the lending team on loan requests through NFF's other loan funds and products as needed.
Essential Requirements for Education and/or Experience:
- At least 1-2 years of relevant work experience or graduate study in the fields of financial services, community and economic development, urban planning, business administration, and/or public policy and administration.
- Comfort with accounting, finance, and basic credit concepts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to build rapport with borrowers and gather relevant due diligence and materials and organize, present, and synthesize complex information in an accessible manner.
- Strong time-management, attention to detail, multi-tasking, and project management skills.
- Demonstrated interest in the social sector and Community Development Financial Institutions.
Nonprofit Finance Fund
What We Do:
Nonprofit Finance Fund (NFF) works toward a more just and vibrant society through:
Financing that invests in missions. Our customized financing strengthens hardworking nonprofits and social enterprises.
Consulting that empowers leaders. Our experts equip you to make financial decisions that best serve your mission.
Partnering on big problems. Service providers, funders, and investors turn to us for new ways to collaboratively support stronger, fairer communities.
Learning that helps illuminate paths to solving complex social issues. Sharing experiences and expertise – from ideas to anecdotes to cutting-edge data and analysis – makes it easier.
Nonprofit Finance Fund® (NFF®) advances missions and social progress in underserved communities through financing, consulting, partnerships, and knowledge-sharing. A leading Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), NFF currently manages over $329 million. Since 1980, we have provided $871 million in financing and access to additional capital in support of over $2.9 billion in projects for thousands of organizations nationwide.